Golf cart speed rant...

Closed Thread
Old 01-29-2016, 10:23 AM
theruizs
Default Golf cart speed rant...

I learned that the speed limit for golf carts that are not street legal is 20mph. So I spent the extra money for a street legal cart with a speed limit of 25mph and spent the extra money to license it. It also costs more to insure them. So when I am driving on a street and get passed by non-licensed golf carts clearly going over 20 and even over 25, it really irks me. If there was any evidence that the sheriff or police where doing anythin significant about it, it would not bother me so much. However, with the number of clearly illegally modified golf carts out there, it is clear they are having ZERO impact on the problem. Why not just drop the speed limit since no one seems to pay any attention to it anyway, or start spending more time and effort to enforce it at a level that is equal to the level of those ignoring the law? A PSA occassionally on Television is NOT a good use of time or resources to impact the problem. It is simply to give the appearance that something is being done. And the realivtively tiny number of infractions that actually get ticketed are also meaningless, they are too few in comparison with the size of the problem. For me, if this is still ignored when it is time to renew my LSV registration, I am dumping it and just doing what everyone else seems to be doing, getting a free ride on an illegally modified golf cart.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theruizs View Post
I learned that the speed limit for golf carts that are not street legal is 20mph. So I spent the extra money for a street legal cart with a speed limit of 25mph and spent the extra money to license it. It also costs more to insure them. So when I am driving on a street and get passed by non-licensed golf carts clearly going over 20 and even over 25, it really irks me. If there was any evidence that the sheriff or police where doing anythin significant about it, it would not bother me so much. However, with the number of clearly illegally modified golf carts out there, it is clear they are having ZERO impact on the problem. Why not just drop the speed limit since no one seems to pay any attention to it anyway, or start spending more time and effort to enforce it at a level that is equal to the level of those ignoring the law? A PSA occassionally on Television is NOT a good use of time or resources to impact the problem. It is simply to give the appearance that something is being done. And the realivtively tiny number of infractions that actually get ticketed are also meaningless, they are too few in comparison with the size of the problem. For me, if this is still ignored when it is time to renew my LSV registration, I am dumping it and just doing what everyone else seems to be doing, getting a free ride on an illegally modified golf cart.

I'm sure that will help the problem.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:41 AM
Veteran member

So they should use highly trained police officers to ticket a few golf carts? I do agree that these carts are small problem, but I'm not a fan taking officers from dealing with bigger problems.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:45 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

The good thing is, this is a minor problem.

In every situation, religious group, organization, family, etc., there are a few who cause issues.

The majority are good.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:06 AM
Sage

Doesn't it bring you any comfort that you are insured and they are not? That you did the right thing. And if they are insured, the insurance company has the right not to cover any altered vehicle?

You haven't made that many posts. I suspect you're going to run into lot's of things that will set you off but not set off most people on TOTV.

[unless you're just making statements to inflame others just for sport]
Old 01-29-2016, 11:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
I agree that speeding golf carts are a safety problem. These carts were not designed for speeds over 20 mph, they can flip on turns, and let's face it, TV does not have the best drivers in the world. And that's the adults, not the 7 year old grandchildren that end up behind the wheel. Just yesterday I was on Pinellas Place, going 20.4 mph and a non-street legal cart blew by me like I was standing still---had to be doing between 28 and 34. He passed a few cars as well.
That being said, I'm not sure if your post is rooted in safety, or are you just p!$$ed off that you spent all that money to go an extra 5 mph that many seem to be doing (illegally) for free?
Old 01-29-2016, 11:24 AM
Location: The Villages (previous: Kittery & Eliot Maine, Portsmouth & Barrington NH, Uncasville CT)

With so many visitors here, I would guess a lot go on the roads by mistake. Yes, I'm sure there are a few that don't care about rules and do it intentionally. Also, I think visitors see the street legal carts on the street and don't realize the difference. When we first moved here we did it once totally by mistake in an area we couldn't get out of easily. Recently some friends that have been here 8 years moved to a new area and went right out into the traffic circle. By the time they knew they screwed up it was just better to keep going and get on the path as soon as they could.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:52 AM
theruizs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
So they should use highly trained police officers to ticket a few golf carts? I do agree that these carts are small problem, but I'm not a fan taking officers from dealing with bigger problems.
If you think this is a small problem, you are not very observant. And take police/deputies from what bigger issues? It can't be from enforcing the speed limit on the roads for cars, they don't do that either, especially with vendors. Everything seems likea a small problem to some people, until they are affected by it. These carts are not safe, and there are LOTs of them, not a few. As our population grows, it will get worse if not stopped. These are "multi-modal" paths where people walk, dogs are walked, and bikes are riden.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:55 AM
theruizs

I was being facetious, although I have no doubt others who have also taken on the additional expense of registration might think that way.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Hopefully the axes being ground in this thread are sharp(er) now.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:05 PM
theruizs

golfing eagles, probably both of course, but safety primarily.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:10 PM
theruizs

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I agree that speeding golf carts are a safety problem. These carts were not designed for speeds over 20 mph, they can flip on turns, and let's face it, TV does not have the best drivers in the world. And that's the adults, not the 7 year old grandchildren that end up behind the wheel. Just yesterday I was on Pinellas Place, going 20.4 mph and a non-street legal cart blew by me like I was standing still---had to be doing between 28 and 34. He passed a few cars as well.
That being said, I'm not sure if your post is rooted in safety, or are you just p!$$ed off that you spent all that money to go an extra 5 mph that many seem to be doing (illegally) for free?
Probably both of course, but safety primarily.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Still don't understand what an LSV gets you for the investment. 5 MPH is insignificant, cars are still faster and bigger so one error will get you killed. EGO? I'm a believer that all carts should be insured so that should come off the the table.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-29-2016, 12:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
If you think this is a small problem, you are not very observant. And take police/deputies from what bigger issues? It can't be from enforcing the speed limit on the roads for cars, they don't do that either, especially with vendors. Everything seems likea a small problem to some people, until they are affected by it. These carts are not safe, and there are LOTs of them, not a few. As our population grows, it will get worse if not stopped. These are "multi-modal" paths where people walk, dogs are walked, and bikes are riden.
Try speeding south of Palmer CC on Buena Vista..........they are there several times a month, always with many customers.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Really cannot justify the extra $$ for cart and insurance so you can go 25mph and cruise down Morse Blvd & Buena Vista.

Tags
golf, speed, problem, limit, time, cart, street, carts, level, modified, illegally, impact, number, money, extra, spent, legal, appearance, tiny, infractions, realivtively, give, ignoring, equal, rant

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.