Golf cart speed rant...

Closed Thread
Old 01-30-2016, 07:46 AM

I personally would be grateful if people on 466 and 466A would remember that the speed limit there is 45 not 35. I also wonder; wouldn't it just be common sense, that if you really want to get somewhere faster, you just take the car?
Old 01-30-2016, 08:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,914 Times in 4,142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aninjamom View Post
I personally would be grateful if people on 466 and 466A would remember that the speed limit there is 45 not 35. I also wonder; wouldn't it just be common sense, that if you really want to get somewhere faster, you just take the car?
But then again there's the driver, like the one earlier in this thread, who takes over the left lane at 35 mph because HE believes 35 is fast enough and feels ENTITLED TO IMPOSE HIS view on everyone else.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:34 AM
Platinum member
Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
I'm pretty sure that in Florida, a driver can now be pulled over and cited for travelling in the left lane at the posted speed limit, and impeding traffic if there is a line of cars behind him/her being held up.
New state law says the left lane is for passing. Cannot stay in it, even at legal speed limit. Have to move to the right.
Old 01-30-2016, 03:26 PM
Platinum member

The legal difference between the speed of street legal and regular golf carts may be 5 MPH, but the effective difference is much greater. For example, if you are in the parking lot of the Savannah Center and wish to go to Arnold Palmer, you can get in your street legal and average nearly 25 MPH all the way there on a relatively straight shot. If you are in a standard golf cart, you have to negotiate three tunnels, work your way through Saddlebrook Rec, pass across traffic at three Village gates, and work your way around Laurel Manor and through the Village of Winifred. Once you arrive at Arnold Palmer, you may have yield right of way to a street legal before proceeding.
Old 01-30-2016, 04:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
...For example, if you are in the parking lot of the Savannah Center and wish to go to Arnold Palmer, you can get in your street legal and average nearly 25 MPH all the way there on a relatively straight shot. If you are in a standard golf cart, you have to negotiate three tunnels, work your way through Saddlebrook Rec, pass across traffic at three Village gates, and work your way around Laurel Manor and through the Village of Winifred. Once you arrive at Arnold Palmer, you may have yield right of way to a street legal before proceeding.
This is just my personal feeling, but I would not drive down Buena Vista in a golf cart of any kind at 25 mph unless I was the only vehicle on Buena Vista. Two Villagers drove through the front wall of a building yesterday, one was Premier Urgent Care by the hospital and the other was the CVS on 466. A third Villager drove into a transformer on Stillwater. These were all single vehicle accidents involving a stationary immoveable object, the drivers all said they mistook the gas pedal for the brake.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
This is just my personal feeling, but I would not drive down Buena Vista in a golf cart of any kind at 25 mph unless I was the only vehicle on Buena Vista. Two Villagers drove through the front wall of a building yesterday, one was Premier Urgent Care by the hospital and the other was the CVS on 466. A third Villager drove into a transformer on Stillwater. These were all single vehicle accidents involving a stationary immoveable object, the drivers all said they mistook the gas pedal for the brake.
but you will drive in the diamond golf cart lane inches from cars going 30 mph and feel safe?
Old 01-30-2016, 07:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by alzjr View Post
but you will drive in the diamond golf cart lane inches from cars going 30 mph and feel safe?
Well, at least the good news there is that if you are driving 20, and the car driving 30 IN THE SAME DIRECTION, the effective impact speed is 10 mph., and less if you are hit at an angle. Better than crossing 441 and getting T boned at 45.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Much more so than driving a LSV in the auto lanes.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Much more so than driving a LSV in the auto lanes.
Oh, I misunderstood, the diamond lanes are for golf carts ONLY so no car would be ever be able to enter that lane because the white line would stop them. Not to mention the side streets that intersect or the parking lots and postal stations/pools that intersect or the country club driveways that intersect.

Let's see the auto lane is about 10 feet wide and the cart lane about 5 feet wide. When on our 35 MPH roads I have a lane all to myself that is 11 feet wide and the traffic is all going in the same direction with no driveways, no intersecting streets with stop signs, and no merge sections with traffic lights and no narrow bridges with carts coming at me.

Better rethink the how safe driving a golf cart in the diamond lane or MMP really is. I can't remember the last incident of an LSV and car accident on a 35 MPH road but car golf cart/car accidents happen all the time on regular streets and MMPs.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Oh, I misunderstood, the diamond lanes are for golf carts ONLY so no car would be ever be able to enter that lane because the white line would stop them. Not to mention the side streets that intersect or the parking lots and postal stations/pools that intersect or the country club driveways that intersect.

Let's see the auto lane is about 10 feet wide and the cart lane about 5 feet wide. When on our 35 MPH roads I have a lane all to myself that is 11 feet wide and the traffic is all going in the same direction with no driveways, no intersecting streets with stop signs, and no merge sections with traffic lights and no narrow bridges with carts coming at me.

Better rethink the how safe driving a golf cart in the diamond lane or MMP really is. I can't remember the last incident of an LSV and car accident on a 35 MPH road but car golf cart/car accidents happen all the time on regular streets and MMPs.
Actually, I think you understood me perfectly. And...I stand by what I said.

When you quote your statistics, do you consider how many LSV's are actually on the main roads versus how many golf carts are on all the MMP's? But best of all...

"...When on our 35MPH roads I have a lane all to myself..."?!? Bwahahahah. That's a good one! So I guess the white line stops vehicles for you but not for those in the diamond lane...how convenient!
Old 01-31-2016, 05:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Actually, I think you understood me perfectly. And...I stand by what I said.

When you quote your statistics, do you consider how many LSV's are actually on the main roads versus how many golf carts are on all the MMP's? But best of all...

"...When on our 35MPH roads I have a lane all to myself..."?!? Bwahahahah. That's a good one! So I guess the white line stops vehicles for you but not for those in the diamond lane...how convenient!
especially with the
Old 01-31-2016, 07:37 PM

And I stand by what I said, so there!
Old 01-31-2016, 11:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,318 Times in 872 Posts

Quote:
And I stand by what I said, so there!
Probably because you have an LSV and because you made that decision, there is no other rational position you will accept..totally understandable.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 02-01-2016, 05:44 AM
Email Reported As Spam
Default To Each His Own

When I first arrived street legal was often discussed. When the government granted a $7500 credit for buying an electric cart the number street legal vehicles skyrocketed. When the street legal owners received their insurance bills and annual registration fees they finally made the math calculations and discovered it was going to eat up the $7500 credit So they petition O'Toole and she advanced a bill to remove the restriction of street legal certification.

I once thought about street legal until I witnessed a car hit an emerge cart at the intersection of 466 and Morse. That scene cured my desire.

When traveling the roads I notice too often that there are car drivers that seem to believe that the diamond lanes belong to them. In fact one driver boasted on TOTV that she uses the diamond lanes to make her turns . She actually believed by doing so that it would hold up cart drivers approaching the same intersection thus preventing a collision with a golf cart

Safe driving all
Old 02-01-2016, 09:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,320 Times in 2,057 Posts

I would think that with how safe the Villages and Lady Lake are by in large that the cops would have the time to nab some of these speeding golf cart drivers. The problem might be though their jurisdiction over private property of the Villages like the modal paths. They could get them when crossing the public roads but they usually are not speeding then. Jurisdiction of the multi-modal recreation paths in TV [Archive] - Talk of The Villages
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, speed, problem, limit, time, cart, street, carts, level, modified, illegally, impact, number, money, extra, spent, legal, appearance, tiny, infractions, realivtively, give, ignoring, equal, rant

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.