Golf Cart Usage by Renters

Closed Thread
Old 04-28-2016, 03:04 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtimesintv View Post
Oh, but it IS my business if a person gets ejected onto pavement when I'm driving behind or beside them and can't avoid running over them.

Tell me, how many times in the history of TV has a renter caused someone else harm with a golf cart?
If you are following so closely that you can't stop when someone falls out of a golf cart in front of you , then it is you who would be at fault.
I'm going to get out and enjoy the day. Somehow sitting at home wringing my hands and trying to dream of ways someone else could inadvertently cause me harm doesn't sound like too much fun.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:54 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring_chicken View Post
Tell me, how many times in the history of TV has a renter caused someone else harm with a golf cart?
If you are following so closely that you can't stop when someone falls out of a golf cart in front of you , then it is you who would be at fault.
I'm going to get out and enjoy the day. Somehow sitting at home wringing my hands and trying to dream of ways someone else could inadvertently cause me harm doesn't sound like too much fun.
LOL.....

...if the risks of personal injury/accidental death/maiming from golf cart accidents in TV were so non-existent as you proclaim, the insurance companies would be writing the policies and making a fortune off the premiums raked in compared to the few or no claims and lawsuit judgements they'd have to pay out.
Old 04-28-2016, 04:31 PM
Veteran member

I think renters in the past had a cart included and now expect a golf cart to be part of the deal adding an expensive burden if the owner has to rent one for them in order to lease out their home....and some do...or foolishly, take a risk, and let them use their existing cart that is knowingly or unknowingly uninsured. As the previous poster said, get the word out. It's safer for all of us. Hand would be renters a list of the all too eager golf cart rental people who are insured and disentangle yourself completely. Even if it has a minor breakdown, you are out of it, the rental company has loaners ready to go. Who needs the hassle.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
I'd say the reason why is because WE are affected if some clueless renter (who has no idea what it is to drive a golf cart in city-street traffic) hits the brakes suddenly, or hits a curb or grate in the gutter and a passenger gets ejected onto the pavement in front of a driver behind them who can't avoid running over them.
Doesn't that also apply to those who own their own homes and carts?

I'm also guessing that there are a large number of owners living here (full and part-time) that don't insure their carts, so aren't they just as likely to cause the problem in your scenario(s)?

I guess I'm missing your point that somehow renters are, or might be, more dangerous than existing owners or part-timers.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:45 PM
Veteran member

The Villages Insurance advise based on the companies they represent and have contracts to write business.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
LOL.....

...if the risks of personal injury/accidental death/maiming from golf cart accidents in TV were so non-existent as you proclaim, the insurance companies would be writing the policies and making a fortune off the premiums raked in compared to the few or no claims and lawsuit judgements they'd have to pay out.
On the flip side if the rate of incidents were as high as some would like to project the insurance companies couldn't write policies (liability) for $60/year.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:32 AM

I can see an insurance company insuring the cart but not the occupants. I would personally help my renters to secure a cart rental.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:40 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
On the flip side if the rate of incidents were as high as some would like to project the insurance companies couldn't write policies (liability) for $60/year.
Those policies are for us home-cart owners assuming our own risks, not renters who are putting the landlord cart owners at risk for huge liability lawsuits.

As for $60/year premiums, "you get what you pay for" in the fine print.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Those policies are for us home-cart owners assuming our own risks, not renters who are putting the landlord cart owners at risk for huge liability lawsuits.

As for $60/year premiums, "you get what you pay for" in the fine print.
If they were putting us at such a high risk and can't be stopped (thus your plea to not let renters use the carts) wouldn't the insurance companies be charging us a much higher fee for our policies ? Does your policy cover you against other uninsured cart drivers. Mine does. Do you have to insure your cart in Florida ? I don't believe so. That's probably a more productive battle to take on. I don't really care if a landlord is covered or not - it's their risk. One thing I'm pretty certain of if they want to believe they are covered they will find some hearsay somewhere and latch on to it. If they were so concerned they would call their attorney. If they are taking legal advice off TOTV well they get what they pay for like you said. This subject which is very old and smells a little bit like I'm here and now it's time no one else comes.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:15 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
If they were putting us at such a high risk and can't be stopped (thus your plea to not let renters use the carts) wouldn't the insurance companies be charging us a much higher fee for our policies ? Does your policy cover you against other uninsured cart drivers. Mine does. Do you have to insure your cart in Florida ? I don't believe so. That's probably a more productive battle to take on. I don't really care if a landlord is covered or not - it's their risk. One thing I'm pretty certain of if they want to believe they are covered they will find some hearsay somewhere and latch on to it. If they were so concerned they would call their attorney. If they are taking legal advice off TOTV well they get what they pay for like you said. This subject which is very old and smells a little bit like I'm here and now it's time no one else comes.
To me it sounds like some landlords don't want to hear the truth about the liability risks they face by providing a rental cart they don't have a specific rental cart policy for.

I think landlords and renters looking for homes to rent here need to be aware of this. If they were aware, the original question would not have been posted here.

Last edited by goodtimesintv; 04-29-2016 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
To me it sounds like some landlords don't want to hear the truth about the liability risks they face by providing a rental cart they don't have a specific rental cart policy for.

I think landlords and renters looking for homes to rent here need to be aware of this. If they were aware, the original question would not have been posted here.
Use the search for rentals and golf carts, it's been a topic for years, nothing new
Old 04-29-2016, 03:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

I always assume that if something happens the potential is everyone will get sued, the renter driving the cart, the cart manufacturer and the person that provided the cart. There are some attorneys that would be honored to represent the injured party. Why anyone would elect to not have their "butt" covered is beyond me.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 04-29-2016, 11:45 PM
Platinum member

Call Grandpa and Grandma's Buggies or Don Cunningham Rent Me carts or any other rental cart company and ask them if you rent a cart are you covered on their insurance. Let me know what you find out.

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Fraugoofy; 04-30-2016 at 07:02 AM.
Old 04-30-2016, 04:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

We were told when we rented a cart that the cart was covered but not the drivers so you still are on your own for liability
Old 04-30-2016, 07:03 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
We were told when we rented a cart that the cart was covered but not the drivers so you still are on your own for liability

As was stated at the VHA golf cart safety clinic.
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, golf, worried, homeowners, cover, driver/passenger, thoughts, injury, traumatic, insurance, damage, neighbors, friends, renters, usage, rent, understand, folks, properties, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.