Golf Carts -- Gas vs Electric

Closed Thread
Old 12-01-2017, 12:24 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Our 2016 Yamaha electric cart has a "tow" mode switch. We were told that is we ever run out of juice, we are to put the cart in "tow" mode and wait 15 minutes. Put the cart back in "run" mode and at that point, the batteries will somehow have enough juice to drive the cart about a mile or two. We were assured by the salesman the cart will respond for that distance as if the batteries were completely charged. That process can be repeated as many times as needed to get the cart to a power source (which in most cases will be home). I have never had to rely on this method to get the cart home but it's nice to know that is an option.

We also have emergency road side assistance coverage (very inexpensive) if we ever run out of juice or break down in our electric cart. I would not drive the cart without that reassurance. It is like having AAA for the car. I have not been without AAA coverage for our car for the past 40 years and will never be without roadside assistance coverage for the golf cart.
Huh...That's a cool trick. The Yamaha motor controller will shut down when it determines the battery capacity is at approx 20%. Another problem with lead-acid batteries is that the battery voltage is dragged down when discharging which is what's called "working" voltage. The working voltage is much lower than the "Rest" voltage...The Rest voltage is what is used to determine battery State of Charge. When you flip the switch to tow, It will cutoff the power to the motor controller and if you let it sit for 15 minutes, the battery pack voltage will raise toward it's Rest voltage (it takes 30 minutes to raise nearly to true Rest voltage but 15 minutes will due). Then when you flip the switch back to run, the controller re-reads the battery voltage and determines you are good to go. I suspect you have maybe 3-4 miles before the controller cuts off again. This is fine in a pinch...You should try to avoid it though.

I am going to have to test this out and see if this really works. I will let you know.

Last edited by MorTech; 12-01-2017 at 01:26 AM.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:29 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,140 Times in 1,361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Why in the world would our salesman tell us about this process if it would do damage to the cart? Thank you for setting me straight about this.
I have noticed some cart salesman will tell you what they want you to hear. They also usually don't really know their products very well. I have helped educate a few.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,217 Times in 1,953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorTech View Post
.......I am going to have to test this out and see if this really works. I will let you know.
I will be checking back on this thread to see how your test works out. Will you be discharging the batteries so the cart will not go?
Old 12-02-2017, 07:08 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
I have noticed some cart salesman will tell you what they want you to hear. They also usually don't really know their products very well. I have helped educate a few.
I am quite often amazed by how ignorant some cart salespersons are about the products they sell. I have several times had them explain a system which was either myth or pure bs.

Remember they have skin in the game
"Caveat Emptor"
Old 03-04-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorTech View Post
The EZGO Elite lithium carts with the 120ah pack has a range of about 55 miles.
The villages carts wants $15K but you can get a base one anywhere else for about $11.5K

Too pricey for me...Still.
I'm reading conflicting estimates about range on the 120ah Elite EzGo. wish I knew the truth. Villages Carts told me 50miles but I'm hoping that's a conservative guess.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:21 AM
Sage

Fifty miles is a *lot* of miles in a golf cart for one day and certainly is not typical. I believe our all time record was less than twenty miles. Assuming you don't forget to plug the cart in overnight, I really don't see how a fifty mile range is an issue.

I am typically not an early adopter of new technology (I prefer to let others pay the high costs), however the lithium-ion EZGO carts potentially look attractive, especially if the extended battery life is realized. When compared to flooded lead-acid batteries, the lower weight, zero maintenance, quick recharges, and the ability to deeply discharge without damage are additional advantages. Given the large incremental costs, I would read the warranty very carefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhabel2112@gmail.com View Post
I'm reading conflicting estimates about range on the 120ah Elite EzGo. wish I knew the truth. Villages Carts told me 50miles but I'm hoping that's a conservative guess.

Last edited by biker1; 03-04-2018 at 09:34 AM.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:08 AM
Veteran member
Default golf cart choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Have not yet invested in a golf cart but the time has come to do so. It seems most of the carts we see on the course are gas. We planned on getting an electric for charging convenience at home, noise, fumes, etc. But are rethinking our position on electric vs gas. I get that personal preference is key but I'd value any comparative input on this decision. Anyone transitioned from one to the other? Thanks in advance. Tim

ANY EXPERIENCE WITH TOMBERLIN??
No

I personally like the gas cart, because you don't have to worry about charging, or checking battery fluid. I have one of each, and while the electric cart is quiet, the gas cart lets you go anywhere without worrying about low batteries. I like the Yamaha for gas, and the Club cart for electric.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Have not yet invested in a golf cart but the time has come to do so.
I see you bought a Tomberlin. How is that working out for you?

Last edited by Barefoot; 03-04-2018 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regor View Post
Check out the EZ go Elite. It comes with lithium Ion battery packs Which are guaranteed for 10 years against everything! Smooth riding, long distance ( I test drove one and at 50 miles the battery pack wasn't even down to half! I put it on the charger for 1 hour and it was almost fully charged!), This cart goes the same speed up hill and down hill about 22 mph. No parking brake. I was all set to buy one but the extra cost for the lithium batteries ( almost $5,000) drove me away. I did buy the Yamaha Quiet tech EFI, but sure wish I could have afforded the EZ Go. No gas stations, noise (yes ALL gas carts are noisy!). I also think the EZ go is smoother riding.
This is the only distance review I've seen here on the Elite Cart.

This is the only distance quote i can find.

( I test drove one and at 50 miles the battery pack wasn't even down to half! I put it on the charger for 1 hour and it was almost fully charged!), This cart goes the same speed up hill and down hill about 22 mph. No parking brake. I was all set to buy one but the extra cost for the lithium batteries ( almost $5,000) drove me away.

Last edited by Moderator; 03-05-2018 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:32 AM
Gold member

EZGO Elite Lithium has 3 models - 2.0(60ah*50v=3kw), 3.0(90ah*50v=4.5kw), 4.0(120ah*50v=6kw)

The EZGO AC motor is pretty efficient at about 100w per mile.
An EZGO Elite 4.0 has an approx range of 60 miles (6kw/100w) at 80F.
I am guessing it comes with a standard 1000w battery charger so charging rate of approx 10 miles per hour.

I would much prefer the Tomberlin Emerge LE for $11K

I would rather have a cavity drilled without novocaine than drive 50 miles on a cart
Going around TV (Hillsborough to morse to el camino real to buena vista to hillsborough) is about 28 miles.

Last edited by MorTech; 03-06-2018 at 09:10 AM.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:19 AM

Too much technically can go wrong with the electric carts. Then when something does go wrong, and it will, hold on to your wallet. Gas is old school and cheap to repair as need arises. The NEW Yamaha gas are really as quiet as an electric cart. Pretty impressive that you can't hear them anymore as they pass you by.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:50 AM
Gold member

GAS! Unless you want to spend $800 every three years for new batteries. Get the Yamaha Quiet Tec.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:05 PM
Gold member

Hmm, yes, Batteries connected by 2 wires to a motor controller connected by 3 wires to a motor...Yup, FAR too much to go wrong there The only wear item - is one motor shaft end bearing you might have to replace in 15 years or so on an AC motor.

$750 every 6 years for batteries. 5 cents per mile less for electricity than gasoline..3000 miles per year..18000 miles for 6 years...$900 more for gas over electricity. Doesn't even factor in $80 per year maintenance cost for gas carts..another $480 added to gas cart. 6 year maintenance on electric cart..several gallons of distilled water..call it 10 bucks.

$1380 every 6 years for the Yamaha QuieTech.

Last edited by MorTech; 03-06-2018 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:30 PM
Sage

Don't you my-kind-is-the-only-kind guys ever get tired? Isn't it possible both are pretty good?
Old 03-06-2018, 02:40 PM
Gold member

Logic reason and math are tiring but necessary for better than "pretty good".
Closed Thread

Tags
electric, gas, carts, golf, preference

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.