Golf Carts -- Gas vs Electric

Closed Thread
Old 10-23-2017, 04:42 PM
Gold member
Default Re: Battery warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regor View Post
Check out the EZ go Elite. It comes with lithium Ion battery packs Which are guaranteed for 10 years against everything! Smooth riding, long distance ( I test drove one and at 50 miles the battery pack wasn't even down to half! I put it on the charger for 1 hour and it was almost fully charged!), This cart goes the same speed up hill and down hill about 22 mph. No parking brake. I was all set to buy one but the extra cost for the lithium batteries ( almost $5,000) drove me away. I did buy the Yamaha Quiet tech EFI, but sure wish I could have afforded the EZ Go. No gas stations, noise (yes ALL gas carts are noisy!). I also think the EZ go is smoother riding.
I do not own an electric golf cart but have sold expensive rechargeable equipment.

Re: battery warranties.
It is usually a prorated warranty and is based on a fictitiously high LIST price. What I am trying to say is when you crunch the numbers it is far less than the stated 10 years.

On a lead acid battery the voltage falls off as the battery discharges making it easy to set up a battery gauge. As the voltage falls off so will the speed and ability to climb hills. A lithium ion battery has a flat voltage curve. So you will have the same speed and power till the end. But the end of you power comes suddenly with little advance notice.

RE: Gas
We have a 2013 fuel injected Yamaha and we use it more than our automobile. The tank when empty is 6 gallons.
We fill it about once a month when it is down 4 gallons.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:23 PM

The EZ go Elite is 10 years! No prorating. Anything wrong with the pac, it gets replaced.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:40 PM
Sage

One advantage to gas carts is they are always available. Had an electric cart and encountered events where the cart was needed, but had to be charged. I agree the EFI carts emit less odor.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:47 PM
Sage

I am not sure I follow the $5K difference in price. On the EZGO website, the price difference is $1700 (presumably for a minimum lithium-ion battery configuration compared with a lead-acid battery config). Some additional details would be useful. I was thinking of stopping by the golf cart store in Brownwood to take a look. Thanks.

Quote:
Check out the EZ go Elite. It comes with lithium Ion battery packs Which are guaranteed for 10 years against everything! Smooth riding, long distance ( I test drove one and at 50 miles the battery pack wasn't even down to half! I put it on the charger for 1 hour and it was almost fully charged!), This cart goes the same speed up hill and down hill about 22 mph. No parking brake. I was all set to buy one but the extra cost for the lithium batteries ( almost $5,000) drove me away. I did buy the Yamaha Quiet tech EFI, but sure wish I could have afforded the EZ Go. No gas stations, noise (yes ALL gas carts are noisy!). I also think the EZ go is smoother riding.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:55 AM

The one I drove had the 120 amp (3 pacs) battery system. I think the 90 amp package would suffice. Not sure about the 60 amp. I would be interested in hearing about the range on the 60 amp. I am not in love with my Quite Tech EFI. I hate the slowing down on hills, trips to gas stations, slow acceleration and the so-so ride.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
...I hate the...trips to the gas station...
Yes, those gas station trips almost every month are a real pain.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:25 AM
Veteran member

Because we have a case of "running out of juice anxiety", we opted for a Yamaha gas and love it.
We can make two round trips to Disney on a full tank.
So, if you see a guy driving down the turnpike in a green cart wearing mouse ears, toot and wave!
Old 10-24-2017, 12:14 PM
Veteran member
Default Gas vs Electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by philnpat View Post
Because we have a case of "running out of juice anxiety", we opted for a Yamaha gas and love it.
We can make two round trips to Disney on a full tank.
So, if you see a guy driving down the turnpike in a green cart wearing mouse ears, toot and wave!
Gas vs Electric. Well, we hear of the limited miles to drive with Electric. OK, so fully charged, 2 hours of charge is about $1.80 according to SECO. So, we take off to the Farmers Market in Brownwood, then go to Colony Rec Center and then to the shopping center near Colony. Then to Laurel Manor Rec center, then to the Polo Grounds, then to Ace Hardware near the shopping center, then to Buffalo retirement, then to Churchill and then to Pimlico and 9 holes of golf and then to The Red Lobster.. Then we go home near Sumter Landing. OK, we are home and the power gauge is down to ALMOST HALF Gee, is that something to worry about? Guess we need to panic over that gauge down to a bit over half?
Now, on the reliability of those who seem to be so popular and stalled along the road? Well I would like to see the statistics and the superb monitoring ability and the documentation of someone who while driving along the MMP can see that the stalled cart is Electric. Is that because there are no poisonous odors nearby?
bbbbbb
Old 10-24-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Yes, those gas station trips almost every month are a real pain.
How about every 5 to 8 days? sometimes more often. We use our cart a lot.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Gas. The carts you see sitting immobilized on the side of the paths are electric.

If you would like to read more; here is a link to the last 134 threads on this subject;

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...rchid=14241741
I have owned 3 electric carts and 3 gas carts. Have never had
an electric cart towed, Have had the gas carts towed twice.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
How about every 5 to 8 days? sometimes more often. We use our cart a lot.
I thought we used our cart a lot too. You must use your cart...well...a LOT!!!

I play golf a couple times a week. It's the 2nd vehicle for me and my wife. It's out of the garage every day, usually more than once. We've filled up 7 times since mid-April. And to be fair, we're about to fill up again. So 8 times in 6 months.

By my very rough calcs, it sounds like you drive your cart over 150 miles every week? Really!!??!!
Old 10-25-2017, 05:34 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

I will put 150 to 200 miles a week. I do like to travel TVs! I like the gas, Dad and Mom prefer the quiet of electric.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I thought we used our cart a lot too. You must use your cart...well...a LOT!!!

I play golf a couple times a week. It's the 2nd vehicle for me and my wife. It's out of the garage every day, usually more than once. We've filled up 7 times since mid-April. And to be fair, we're about to fill up again. So 8 times in 6 months.

By my very rough calcs, it sounds like you drive your cart over 150 miles every week? Really!!??!!
Yup
Old 10-25-2017, 07:53 AM
Sage

I stand corrected. I guess I don't use my cart a lot...at least compared to some of you maniacs!!
Old 10-25-2017, 08:20 AM
Soaring Eagle member

$1.80 for 2 hours of charge sounds too high. Assuming you are using a 20 amp circuit, the most you can draw is 2.4 kW per hour. At approximately 13 cents per kWh, the cost shouldn't be higher than about 60 cents (and probably less since you won't draw 20 amps). That should get you about 25 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbbb View Post
Gas vs Electric. Well, we hear of the limited miles to drive with Electric. OK, so fully charged, 2 hours of charge is about $1.80 according to SECO. So, we take off to the Farmers Market in Brownwood, then go to Colony Rec Center and then to the shopping center near Colony. Then to Laurel Manor Rec center, then to the Polo Grounds, then to Ace Hardware near the shopping center, then to Buffalo retirement, then to Churchill and then to Pimlico and 9 holes of golf and then to The Red Lobster.. Then we go home near Sumter Landing. OK, we are home and the power gauge is down to ALMOST HALF Gee, is that something to worry about? Guess we need to panic over that gauge down to a bit over half?
Now, on the reliability of those who seem to be so popular and stalled along the road? Well I would like to see the statistics and the superb monitoring ability and the documentation of someone who while driving along the MMP can see that the stalled cart is Electric. Is that because there are no poisonous odors nearby?
bbbbbb
Closed Thread

Tags
electric, gas, carts, golf, preference

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.