Golf Carts -- Gas vs Electric

Closed Thread
Old 10-25-2017, 09:29 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

I think I'm going back to the electric Par Car. They get up to speed rather quickly and going 5 years with virtually no problems with my first one is weighing heavily on my decision. All my life I've been storing gas in my garage for various pieces of equipment and I never liked filling the containers, now I can eliminate doing that. I really don't see the need to have a gas golf car and that is strictly a personal feeling, not disagreeing with anyone on here.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

I've had both, each preformed great. You have to decide what you plan on using the cart for and how long in day. If you live in central location electric works fine. But it does cost and if does put out odor when charging and charging not free or green, some where coal being burned or radioactive wastes being used to produce electric, then, there the disposal of all the hazardous batteries.

Over time the batteries will have to be replaced, once the batteries get some age on Them they may produce more liquid fog when charging which coats the cart and garage floor. It eats up metal, wiring, and concrete floors. Now you you have fight corrosion. Now if you can afford to replace the cart ever 3 or 4 years you can avoid the long term care of cart. But, (always a but) electric cart normally don't hold trade in value due to all the problem mentioned above???

Now gas; gas also come with price mainly gas and oil changes. For the first few years they run fine, then wear starts to take toll especially if you didn't change the oil enough. Now you got oil burner and leaker form lack of oil changes and overheating which harder seals. Now you have to check the oil weekly or less and add oil. If your forgetful and run it out or very low on oil you will start hearing hammering clanking sound which basically means engine about to give up the connecting rod. If your avid pre-maintainer gas engine will last and last and last. I have never worn out gas engine.

So both have there advantages and disadvantages. Pick your poison?
Old 10-25-2017, 07:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,087 Times in 2,748 Posts

Easy answer, Gas. Why? Because nobody sells a diesel.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post

Over time the batteries will have to be replaced, once the batteries get some age on Them they may produce more liquid fog when charging which coats the cart and garage floor. It eats up metal, wiring, and concrete floors. Now you you have fight corrosion. Now if you can afford to replace the cart ever 3 or 4 years you can avoid the long term care of cart.
Obviously batteries have to be replaced, but the rest of that paragraph leaves me at a loss for a rebuttal
Old 10-25-2017, 09:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
Obviously batteries have to be replaced, but the rest of that paragraph leaves me at a loss for a rebuttal
From the previous owner I have the spot on the garage floor. Now for those who maintain the problems are minimum. But, lead acid batteries eventually causes corrosion, weaker the get more sulfuric acid H2SO4 vapor they produce. Which they release sulfuric acid, hydrogen, and sulfur dioxide. IMO when charging in garage there should be vent to alow fresh air while charging, window or garage door open some for vent if your smelling sulfur.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:18 AM

Do a little history research. There have been numerous fires caused by charging batteries in enclosed garages. People will say I don't want a gas cart in my garage. So what are they doing with their cars? Golf cart barns on golf courses have burned down for the same reasons. BTW... Been here over 16 years so I know of what I speak.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:30 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David73 View Post
Do a little history research. There have been numerous fires caused by charging batteries in enclosed garages. People will say I don't want a gas cart in my garage. So what are they doing with their cars? Golf cart barns on golf courses have burned down for the same reasons. BTW... Been here over 16 years so I know of what I speak.
I just don't want to have to have a can of gas i my garage in case I'm running low and can't get to a gas station. I don't think I would like going to the gas station with a golf car either. I do like the simplicity of an electric cart, what could be easier.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:38 AM

Like I said earlier, check out the Ez Go Elite Lithium Ion carts. No gas, fumes, water, oil, noise, parking brake, belts ..... etc. These are the same type of battery packs that are used in hybrid and electric cars. Completely warranted for 10 years with full replacement. 90 - 100 miles between charges for the 120 amp pack.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:01 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I was reading about the EZGO lithium-ion golf carts on the EZGO webpage and it states a 5 year warranty. Is that only for golf course fleets and individual buyers would have a longer 10-year warranty (presumably because of less use)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regor View Post
Like I said earlier, check out the Ez Go Elite Lithium Ion carts. No gas, fumes, water, oil, noise, parking brake, belts ..... etc. These are the same type of battery packs that are used in hybrid and electric cars. Completely warranted for 10 years with full replacement. 90 - 100 miles between charges for the 120 amp pack.

Last edited by tuccillo; 10-26-2017 at 08:15 AM.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:39 AM

Ooops, You are correct. 5 years! I stand corrected. It was about 4 months ago I drove one. My research on that type of battery pack said they should last around 8 - 10 years.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:43 AM
Veteran member
Default Cost of Electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
$1.80 for 2 hours of charge sounds too high. Assuming you are using a 20 amp circuit, the most you can draw is 2.4 kW per hour. At approximately 13 cents per kWh, the cost shouldn't be higher than about 60 cents (and probably less since you won't draw 20 amps). That should get you about 25 miles.
We gave the model number on our Charger, to the SECO tech and he said our charger would run at about 75 to 90 Cents an hour maximum. You could be right at 60 so I can see where the SECO rep would quote a bit higher in order to be safe and not be criticized by the gear heads who prefer gas. Either way, whether it is 60 or 70 or 90 is no problem to me. No fumes, no gas cans no trips to get gas, just come home, plug in that little jewel, charge it and grab the automatic watering can afterwards and it is SO convenient, awesome, quiet and we love our EZGO for sure.
I have a wire shelf on the wall, by the plug, the water jug with hose is there, it is so easy to hook up the quick disconnect for the automatic filler. No problem and always after the cart is cool and charged. Thanks
bbbbbb
Old 10-26-2017, 08:57 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I believe the way most chargers work is they draw more amps when first plugged and then it ramps down with time. My estimate of 60 cents is probably too high by a factor of 2. 60 cents would represent drawing 20 amps for 2 hours (which is not what actually happens). A good rule of thumb for electric golf carts is they use 2 cents of electricity for each mile you travel. YMMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbbb View Post
We gave the model number on our Charger, to the SECO tech and he said our charger would run at about 75 to 90 Cents an hour maximum. You could be right at 60 so I can see where the SECO rep would quote a bit higher in order to be safe and not be criticized by the gear heads who prefer gas. Either way, whether it is 60 or 70 or 90 is no problem to me. No fumes, no gas cans no trips to get gas, just come home, plug in that little jewel, charge it and grab the automatic watering can afterwards and it is SO convenient, awesome, quiet and we love our EZGO for sure.
I have a wire shelf on the wall, by the plug, the water jug with hose is there, it is so easy to hook up the quick disconnect for the automatic filler. No problem and always after the cart is cool and charged. Thanks
bbbbbb

Last edited by tuccillo; 10-26-2017 at 09:03 AM.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regor View Post
Lithium is a compelling story for electric carts, but I never can get past the cost. Last time I looked (minimal research) I could buy 5 sets of 8-T105 packs for the same price as one set ( 4 12v) of lithium (close to $5k). That should change at some point I would think, maybe it even has since I last looked?

Last edited by ajbrown; 10-26-2017 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
I just don't want to have to have a can of gas i my garage in case I'm running low and can't get to a gas station. I don't think I would like going to the gas station with a golf car either. I do like the simplicity of an electric cart, what could be easier.

Again whether you own gas or electric you still have to do pre operation inspections once in awhile. Both can be ticking time bomb or an inferno mostly after years of use. With routine maintenance done by company or yourself if you have the skills Very High percentage nothing will happen without spotting something first. If you feel comfortable with electric why change?
Old 10-26-2017, 12:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member

It looks like you are Fenney? If so, electric would make more sense since it could be a bit of time before you could ride to a gas station. Going to a gas station in a golf cart is not a big deal: pull up, lift the seat, put in some gas, and go. We are pretty close to a Marathon station plus we only go there once every 3 weeks or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
Closed Thread

Tags
electric, gas, carts, golf, preference

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.