Golf carts: Gas vs. Electric

Closed Thread
Old 08-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Veteran member
Smile

If you go gas Yamaha is a great cart. Cons--The guy behind you will notice a smell, and they are loud you have to pull over to talk on a cell phone, and you have to go to the gas station to get gas. If you go electric drive an EZ-GO RXV, it does not slow going up hills. I have driven mine from Duval to the Lopez area and played 9 exec holes, then into Spanish Springs for dinner and back to Duval, still had a good charge. Cons-- you have to plug it in at night and check the water level in the batteries once a month and change the batteries every 5 or 6 years ($600). Bottom line they are both good, make sure you drive both and compare price then decide which is best for you.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:27 PM
Soaring Eagle member

i check the level in my batteries every 2 weeks....gn
Old 08-07-2010, 12:06 PM
ThomasMelovitz
Default Gas is the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by APVincent View Post
Looking to purchase a golf cart...mainly for recreational use around the neighborhood and for the kids, but I'll use it when I play as well. Looking for any advise people can offer on their opinions of which is better; gas or electric carts.
I have been here for two years now and the longer I am here the more I can say with confidence gas is the way to go. Initially I wanted a electric cart, quiet, no fueling just plug it in. But on our life style tour I did a lot of driving in the free cart. From Sumter to Spanish springs, to colony then getting lost three times in between. I then realized if it were an electric one, I would have had the low battery light flashing and I would be worrying. I have extensive background in electric vehicles and there designs. In the cold weather a battery cart will have severely reduced range. The battery's get cold and they cannot perform. Age and proper charging impact distance performance. May of golfers have told me "they just had the three year old battery's changed for free boy was I lucky" ??? How so, a gas cart will run here at The Villages for 15 to 20 years before any major work is needed. I fill my tank once a month tune it up once a year and I can go all day and not worry. I live in Hemingway, last summer I only had my cart here for transportation I went to Lowes three times in one day. I know it is an extreme example but I never had to worry about dying on the road.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:31 PM

We bought a gas one for our primary cart. We bought an older model electric Yamaha from Jim Followell. He has a good rep in TV. I think he buys a lot of the trade-ins and fixes them up and rents some out and sells some. My wife loves the electric cart. We have gone about anywhere one can go on it and it still has plenty of charge left because the batteries are new.I don't know how it will do 3 or 4 years from now.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:29 PM
Default Gas vs electric

I closed on my place in Hemingway this last Thanksgiving. We had a gas cart with the LSPP and while we were here waiting to close and living at the motel we had an electric rental then a gas rental. We really enjoyed the quite of the electric. It was very nice being able to talk to the person sitting next to you with out yelling while driving around TV. The other thing we enjoyed was the smell of fresh air from the electric cart.
After closing I bought a used electric golf cart and was never happier. I live as far south as you can go and still be in TV. I can drive to the northern most golf courses and play 18 holes of golf, stop off at LSL on the way home for a little fun and still get home in the dark with out a problem. Any time I am home I just plug the cart in for a charge.
I think this cart had been modified by somebody, because I was always able to pass most other carts on the path ways. This is all with old batteries and worn tires and being the coldest winter in Florida.
I know when I get back down this year I might be looking at new tires and maybe some batteries.
I bought it for $3000, so I think I got a good deal.

AL, FL, TX, MO, NZ, CA, CO, Village of Hemingway
Old 08-16-2010, 03:05 PM
Banned

Electric. You can get a conservative 45 miles on a charge. Some swear to getting 55 miles. The low end is enough to go from the bottom of brownwood to the very top of Spanish Springs and then back for less than half a charge. Or another way to look at it is you can go wide open at full power on an electric cart for 2 and 1/2 hours. Either way, Unless you plan on becoming a pizza delivery person on your cart, save your lungs and ears and go with the electric cart. I have used both and highly recommend Electric.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:33 PM

ThomasMelovitz thanks for your feedback. I'm starting to lean towards the gas option now.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:44 AM

My late wife had very bad COPD. For her and the many Villagers who have or develop breathing problems the gas cart is an absolute torture. I made sure my electric had enough ooomph to pass the gas polluters whenever we were behind them. Only problem was her trying to breathe when we were stuck behind them going through the tunnels. I easily go from SS to say Havana, play 18 and return on half a charge. I know California banned the gas carts on pollution grounds a couple years ago and can't wait until we can do the same in Florida.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:49 AM

I have been back and forth in my mind so many times on this "gas vs. electric" debate that I have lost count. I have finally, for the last time, made up my mind... again!

The winner: Electric (for now)
Old 08-20-2010, 07:39 AM
Gold member
Location: Retired and living fulltime in The Village of Bonita!

I find it really funny, I have had a gas yamaha for over a year now, and we drive it A LOT. I still have never smelled it or thought it loud, and we even had a radio installed in our cart and hear it perfectly fine.
Then again, it could be all those hours around tanks!

Army Guy
Old 08-20-2010, 10:15 AM

Army Guy, the closest equivalent I can think of is how smokers never notice smokers but for us non-smokers......OMG!

I don't mean to pick on you in any way even if you were Army and I was AF Heck I used to fly in a tank AKA a Herky Bird C130. LOL While I never liked the gas smell, it was the breathing problems it caused my poor wife that would tick me off. Then of course there was the damage to the environment in a time when we are looking for ways to go electric and reduce our dependance on the turbaned ones! One of these days I am going to put a cartoon on the back of my cart that shows a smiling raghead holding a big BP banner as he drives off in his gas cart with lots of noxious fumes spilling out the back! Maybe I'll even add some oil-blackened clumps rolling up on the beach behind him for a "deadly" backdrop.

Last edited by Flying Dutchman; 08-20-2010 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:32 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Card View Post
Electric. You can get a conservative 45 miles on a charge. Some swear to getting 55 miles. The low end is enough to go from the bottom of brownwood to the very top of Spanish Springs and then back for less than half a charge. Or another way to look at it is you can go wide open at full power on an electric cart for 2 and 1/2 hours. Either way, Unless you plan on becoming a pizza delivery person on your cart, save your lungs and ears and go with the electric cart. I have used both and highly recommend Electric.
Sounds good to me. I think to be street legal you need electric right?

But, I want to relive my youth and if I sell my Good Humor ice cream, no one will hear me in an electric cart. If I have nice noisy gas cart, I'm sure to arouse some hungry customers. Now you gave me an idea. Sell pizza then ice cream for dessert. All in one. Maybe I'll have a tandem of carts....Notice my Good Humor....
Old 08-20-2010, 10:34 AM

Very well said Loucard................... I agree with you. I just wonder how many people would go to dinner with a smoker next to them, just a thought !
Old 08-20-2010, 11:31 AM
Gold member
Location: Retired and living fulltime in The Village of Bonita!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dutchman View Post
Army Guy, the closest equivalent I can think of is how smokers never notice smokers but for us non-smokers......OMG!

I don't mean to pick on you in any way even if you were Army and I was AF Heck I used to fly in a tank AKA a Herky Bird C130. LOL While I never liked the gas smell, it was the breathing problems it caused my poor wife that would tick me off. Then of course there was the damage to the environment in a time when we are looking for ways to go electric and reduce our dependance on the turbaned ones! One of these days I am going to put a cartoon on the back of my cart that shows a smiling raghead holding a big BP banner as he drives off in his gas cart with lots of noxious fumes spilling out the back! Maybe I'll even add some oil-blackened clumps rolling up on the beach behind him for a "deadly" backdrop.
Not a problem, I know it is all in good fun! Have 30+ years in the Army. That is awesome, I have many hours as a "passenger" on C130s.
But remember now, that even though the cart is electric, the power has to come from somewhere to charge it!

Army Guy
Old 08-20-2010, 03:20 PM
Default I must be the minority w/my electric cart!

I've driven gas carts and absolutely HATE them! I have asthma and they choke me...particularly when I'm unfortunate enough to get behind one going through a tunnel. Even the one I'm driving makes it hard for me to breathe because of the fumes. They are VERY loud and don't drive smoothly...they kind of stutter until you get up to cruising speed. Might as well be driving around on a riding lawn mower!

My hubby and I went back and forth on the issue of "running out of charge" with our electric...he thought gas would be better because you can SEE how much gas you have in the tank. Once he drove a few gas carts (new ones), he decided he liked our electric much better as well. We ended up having our old electric cart re-manufactured! Looks like a brand new cart and cost a whole lot less than the new ones we were looking at.

To offset the issue of running out of charge, there is a company right here in TV called **** Aid...it's like AAA for golf carts. We paid $50 for two years coverage. They sent us a sticker for our windshield with their 24/7 phone number. If we are out and about and run out of charge, have a flat, have an accident (God forbid), or have any other issues, we call, they come with the little cart flatbed and pick us and our cart up and take us home. No limit on the number of times you can call. Now I don't worry about running out of charge. (I never have..so far...BTW).

I like "being green" and driving an electric cart instead of a polluting gas cart. I don't notice the "cost" of charging the cart on our electric bill. Running the A/C all summer (5 to 6 mos. 24/7) and charging the cart and using the clothes dryer, lights, etc. our electric bill down here is still less than half what it was up north!

Some people love their gas carts. My husband and I love our electric. It's a very personal preference. Drive several of both types to make up your mind.

P.S. for some reason the website is blocking the name of the company I mentioned. First word is cart with a K.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.