Has anyone here gone through the process of making their golf cart street legal?

Closed Thread
Old 04-01-2024, 06:30 AM
Default Has anyone here gone through the process of making their golf cart street legal?

Hello,

We have a 2022 Yamaha Golf Cart that we would like to make street legal for our Florida vacation home. Through my research, the only items we would need to add are seatbelts, an orange triangle on the back, a lighted license plate holder, and a windshield wiper (our cart already has the other required items). It appears it also needs to be weighed and invoices pertaining to all the required equipment must be presented before you can get a VIN/Title. Has anyone gone through this process and could offer their insight or issues they encountered?

Thanks.
Old 04-01-2024, 06:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,415 Times in 2,532 Posts

I cannot understand why anybody would you want to go on the road, causing holdups to faster moving traffic, in a plastic box, with about as much crash protection, as a Boy Scouts Soap Box!
Old 04-01-2024, 08:12 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownBee View Post
Hello,

We have a 2022 Yamaha Golf Cart that we would like to make street legal for our Florida vacation home. Through my research, the only items we would need to add are seatbelts, an orange triangle on the back, a lighted license plate holder, and a windshield wiper (our cart already has the other required items). It appears it also needs to be weighed and invoices pertaining to all the required equipment must be presented before you can get a VIN/Title. Has anyone gone through this process and could offer their insight or issues they encountered?

Thanks.
Can you define 'Florida home'. TV or are you in an area that is street legal friendly? Around TV, youd be better off...and safer with a Fiat or Mini Cooper over a 'project' vehicle
Old 04-01-2024, 08:14 AM
Veteran member

And don't forget that after you've made the cart street legal, it now requires the same insurance as your car at roughly the same price. All to be able to go a few miles an hour faster and to put yourself in the way of vehicles on the roads weighing MUCH more than your cart. I can't see the appeal myself, but good luck on your project!
Old 04-01-2024, 08:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,265 Posts

IMHO, contact your local police department for the exact requirements, I think you missed 4 wheel brakes, and the original plexiglass is not suitable for a windshield. My understanding is that once you have this licensed, you cannot use it on the golf courses, and there are other restrictions as to where you can use you "street legal" golf cart. Also, after you have done all of this work, you get an additional 5 MPH, regular golf cart is 20 MPH, street legal 25 MPH. Finally, I would make sure you can get suitable insurance coverage for your modified vehicle and be prepared for sticker shock.
Old 04-01-2024, 09:38 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,554 Times in 421 Posts

You will be lucky to get an answer here. You asked for experiences from people who have done it. You will get dozens of "you shouldn't do it" lectures from the pearl clutchers, but reading comprehension is pretty scarce here....
Old 04-01-2024, 09:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,120 Times in 5,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shut the front door View Post
You will be lucky to get an answer here. You asked for experiences from people who have done it. You will get dozens of "you shouldn't do it" lectures from the pearl clutchers, but reading comprehension is pretty scarce here....
Posters have been giving useful advise and info to the OP, no idea why you think others should not do this but your comment is not a way to make friends and influence people.
Old 04-01-2024, 12:05 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shut the front door View Post
Yet you responded to the thread as well...with another sweet nothing burger.
Old 04-01-2024, 12:18 PM
Default Curious....

Quote:
We have a 2022 Yamaha Golf Cart that we would like to make street legal for our Florida vacation home.
I am curious as to reasoning for doing so.... thanks!
Old 04-01-2024, 01:25 PM

Well, I gave it a shot. "Florida vacation home" meaning NOT AT THE VILLAGES....I thought that would be enough but I give up guys, thanks for the input. You can now return to your regularly scheduled dog poop input.
Old 04-01-2024, 01:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,961 Times in 2,469 Posts

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks.
Why? you only gain 5 MPH_—————————legally.
Old 04-01-2024, 09:07 PM
Default Plus Auto insurance to register and tag.

Quote:
Hello,

We have a 2022 Yamaha Golf Cart that we would like to make street legal for our Florida vacation home. Through my research, the only items we would need to add are seatbelts, an orange triangle on the back, a lighted license plate holder, and a windshield wiper (our cart already has the other required items). It appears it also needs to be weighed and invoices pertaining to all the required equipment must be presented before you can get a VIN/Title. Has anyone gone through this process and could offer their insight or issues they encountered

Thanks.
Not worth the cost
Old 04-01-2024, 09:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,961 Times in 2,469 Posts

Quote:
Well, I gave it a shot. "Florida vacation home" meaning NOT AT THE VILLAGES....I thought that would be enough but I give up guys, thanks for the input. You can now return to your regularly scheduled dog poop input.

Well you could said where this “vacation” home was and even if that area allowed LSVs, you do understand what LSV are right? Some areas allow them and some don’t. It’s your money why even ask and how would we know your “Vacation home even allows them.
Old 04-01-2024, 11:35 PM
Veteran member

I've anecdotally heard that the insurance cost makes this idea a non-starter for most people.

I don't see the point of this if you're in The Villages where you can take your cart just about anywhere, and even some places where it's a legal gray area adjacent to TV, the local police don't appear to have any interest to enforce it.
Old 04-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Default We did

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks.
Yes, making your cart street legal requires some changes to the vehicle, but for us it was worth the effort. As tinker mentioned, you do need a Fl. DOT windshield. For us, the additional insurance cost, and registration, is not a problem. The only requirement that was a problem is, once you make it street legal it must be registered as an "ASPT", vehicle, (assembled from parts). Our insurance co. State Farm, had a problem with this, but upon further, and lengthy explaining, they were able to insure it as required. We find having a street legal cart comes in handy, many do not agree. Each to their own. Good Luck.
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, items, required, legal, street

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.