Has anyone here gone through the process of making their golf cart street legal?

Closed Thread
Old 04-02-2024, 05:04 AM
Veteran member

you still can't go on any major roadway. NOT on 466, 466A, 44, 301 etc., nor can you CROSS any major roadway. Go to the golf cart safety clinic on April 17 at Colony Plaza for further ( correct) information.
Old 04-02-2024, 05:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,411 Times in 2,072 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingal View Post
you still can't go on any major roadway. NOT on 466, 466A, 44, 301 etc., nor can you CROSS any major roadway. Go to the golf cart safety clinic on April 17 at Colony Plaza for further ( correct) information.
Yes, please find an official source for accurate information.

From Florida Statute 316.2122 Operation of a low-speed vehicle or mini truck on certain roadways:
(1) A low-speed vehicle or mini truck may be operated only on streets where the posted speed limit is 35 miles per hour or less. This does not prohibit a low-speed vehicle or mini truck from crossing a road or street at an intersection where the road or street has a posted speed limit of more than 35 miles per hour.
and
(5) A county or municipality may prohibit the operation of low-speed vehicles or mini trucks on any road under its jurisdiction if the governing body of the county or municipality determines that such prohibition is necessary in the interest of safety.
(6) The Department of Transportation may prohibit the operation of low-speed vehicles or mini trucks on any road under its jurisdiction if it determines that such prohibition is necessary in the interest of safety.
Which says the LSV *can* cross any major roadway unless the county, municipality, or DoT has specifically prohibited it.

I also do not believe a vehicle designed for use on a golf course (size, weight, tires) would be prohibited from being used on a golf course due only to its possible top speed.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 04-02-2024, 05:49 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswirs View Post
Yes, making your cart street legal requires some changes to the vehicle, but for us it was worth the effort. As tinker mentioned, you do need a Fl. DOT windshield. For us, the additional insurance cost, and registration, is not a problem. The only requirement that was a problem is, once you make it street legal it must be registered as an "ASPT", vehicle, (assembled from parts). Our insurance co. State Farm, had a problem with this, but upon further, and lengthy explaining, they were able to insure it as required. We find having a street legal cart comes in handy, many do not agree. Each to their own. Good Luck.
Just wondering what benefits you enjoy, over and above the extra few mph, by the modification.....assuming you operate it on TV properties?
Old 04-02-2024, 05:53 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownBee View Post
Well, I gave it a shot. "Florida vacation home" meaning NOT AT THE VILLAGES....I thought that would be enough but I give up guys, thanks for the input. You can now return to your regularly scheduled dog poop input.
You can't really be surprised at receiving information related to the Villages when you ask a question on a Villages forum. "Florida vacation home" is an apt description for many HOMES IN THE VILLAGES.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 04-02-2024, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Well, I gave it a shot. "Florida vacation home" meaning NOT AT THE VILLAGES....I thought that would be enough but I give up guys, thanks for the input. You can now return to your regularly scheduled dog poop input.
You seem nice......
Old 04-02-2024, 06:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Hello,

We have a 2022 Yamaha Golf Cart that we would like to make street legal for our Florida vacation home. Through my research, the only items we would need to add are seatbelts, an orange triangle on the back, a lighted license plate holder, and a windshield wiper (our cart already has the other required items). It appears it also needs to be weighed and invoices pertaining to all the required equipment must be presented before you can get a VIN/Title. Has anyone gone through this process and could offer their insight or issues they encountered?

Thanks.
What are you hoping to gain from this conversion?
Old 04-02-2024, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsPCGenius View Post
I am curious as to reasoning for doing so.... thanks!
Me too? I drove a truck for a living for many years. Cars are hard enough to see when they’re doing stupid things…like passing on the right. You’ll likely be SQUASHED in an accident of some sort. Might want to rethink your plan.
Old 04-02-2024, 07:00 AM
Gold member

Good Luck in the "Round Abouts" Cars going 40-50 MPH and carts in cart path going about 22 MPH!! No Brainer!!
Old 04-02-2024, 07:01 AM
Default Yes, I had this done to my EZ Go RXV when we lived in Port St. Joe, Fl. 2 years ago.

Quote:
Hello,

We have a 2022 Yamaha Golf Cart that we would like to make street legal for our Florida vacation home. Through my research, the only items we would need to add are seatbelts, an orange triangle on the back, a lighted license plate holder, and a windshield wiper (our cart already has the other required items). It appears it also needs to be weighed and invoices pertaining to all the required equipment must be presented before you can get a VIN/Title. Has anyone gone through this process and could offer their insight or issues they encountered?

Thanks.
Most all of the responses that were sent back to you are accurate, but no one mentioned that the windshield must be DOT approved, and that alone was $349. Yes, insurance is much higher, and my cost to convert in 2021 was approx. $1200. The only reason that I converted was it allowed me to cross a road to get to the beach. You can't be on a road that has a higher than 35MPH. To get correct info, I went to the Florida DOT, and eventually went to a Fl. Highway Patrol for inspection and VIN. It will only make sense to you, not other opinions, if the positives outweigh the negatives. good Luck
Old 04-02-2024, 07:03 AM
Veteran member
Default Moke

Try one of these, Official Moke™ | The Only Electric Moke In America!
Old 04-02-2024, 07:28 AM

Hello. I did this with my cart a year or so ago. You must have a DOT approved windshield, a wiper (can be manual) and of course all necessary lights and horn. Then u must take it to a business that will weigh it for you and get the paper from them. Then you must take it to the DMV for an inspection m. But there is only 1 dmv office that can do it. Seems it's in Tampa. They will inspect and then eventually mail you a VIN sticker and title and then you can purchase plates so you can drive it on the street
Old 04-02-2024, 07:31 AM
Default and

I think street legal still can't go fast enough to be worth it but slow enough to irritate cars and get them to risk you trying to get around you
Old 04-02-2024, 07:45 AM

We are also among the great unwashed who are not IN the bubble, but share a border on two sides of our community. We’re about a quarter mile from accessing a road with a golf cart lane. We used 24Hr. Cart Club to make ours street legal. 352-661-0562, Joey Faulkner. His is a family-owned company and they are fantastic to work with. They handled EVERYTHING for us, including pickup and drop off of the cart.

Yes, you will pay car insurance rates and their fee for doing whatever needs to be done to your cart. (Extra reflectors, wiper, etc). For us it was well worth it as the golf cart paths were the only thing we wanted out of the Villages. We’re not golfers and we don’t give a fig about “3000 clubs”. We figure that what we pay in insurance is worth NOT having to pay an inflated price for the house, a bond, CDD, etc.
With a street legal LSV, you are able to travel on any road with a speed limit of 35mph or less, and you can cross “the sixes” as long as you are at a light.

Only you can decide if it’s worth the cost. Good Luck!
Old 04-02-2024, 07:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPaLarry View Post
Good Luck in the "Round Abouts" Cars going 40-50 MPH and carts in cart path going about 22 MPH!! No Brainer!!
Highly doubtful if not impossible, certainly nothing I've ever observed.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 04-02-2024, 07:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoNative View Post
We are also among the great unwashed who are not IN the bubble, but share a border on two sides of our community. We’re about a quarter mile from accessing a road with a golf cart lane. We used 24Hr. Cart Club to make ours street legal. 352-661-0562, Joey Faulkner. His is a family-owned company and they are fantastic to work with. They handled EVERYTHING for us, including pickup and drop off of the cart.

Yes, you will pay car insurance rates and their fee for doing whatever needs to be done to your cart. (Extra reflectors, wiper, etc). For us it was well worth it as the golf cart paths were the only thing we wanted out of the Villages. We’re not golfers and we don’t give a fig about “3000 clubs”. We figure that what we pay in insurance is worth NOT having to pay an inflated price for the house, a bond, CDD, etc.
With a street legal LSV, you are able to travel on any road with a speed limit of 35mph or less, and you can cross “the sixes” as long as you are at a light.

Only you can decide if it’s worth the cost. Good Luck!
This is going to be a popular post!

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, items, required, legal, street

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.