Help advice on power tools

Closed Thread
Old 06-17-2022, 07:43 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,303 Times in 561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I have these tools to remove screws as well a LEFT twist drills, send me a PM if you are interested, I am located south of 466a, and you would need to bring the cart here so i would have access to all of my tools.
You are a good man…
Old 06-17-2022, 07:48 AM

It takes a quality tool to do a quality job!
Your cart was assembled with quality tools and was attempted to be taken apart by non quality tools! There's a reason technicians use them, it saves the customers money in the long run. Just remember fiberglass and paint have low burn points! Before you go drilling wildly be careful!
Old 06-17-2022, 08:46 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Love your description of the POWER TOOL operator. Don’t know why they use power tools to run a tiny screw in! I guess they were in a hurry & wanted to make sure it wouldn’t vibrate out.
Old 06-17-2022, 08:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Preparation H does have its limits, I guess...

Toymeiter has very direct way of putting things.
Old 06-17-2022, 08:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
Love your description of the POWER TOOL operator. Don’t know why they use power tools to run a tiny screw in! I guess they were in a hurry & wanted to make sure it wouldn’t vibrate out.
Screws were probably locked in with liquid glue. IMO the hardware should of been countersunk screw with fiber-nut and washer on back. That way can easily be replaced. But with no panel covering makes ugly appearance on inside?
Old 06-17-2022, 09:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
Let's establish a few things.

Your hinge broke, because your hinge is made of cheap zinc that's chrome plated.

Here is how you remove it: securely grip the broken hinge with vice grips. Use a quality impact driver to remove the screw. That's it!

The advice on ez-outs was given by, well, idiots. This screw is not frozen in a steel engine block, not rusted by exposure to sea water, not secured in brittle cast aluminum. No, it's in fiberglass with some sort of soft metal stiffener. LH drills are also overkill.

It’s still very tricky being so close to edges of panels.
Old 06-17-2022, 11:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

All, I have actually done this onanother street cart. I have both steel and aluminum inserts if necessary as well as backing plates. So once i get my hands on the door I will see what needs to be done. I like all of the suggestions.
Old 06-17-2022, 12:11 PM
Default Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulliganguy View Post
I 2nd the motion to talk with the tinker. Free help is hard to pass up. Best wishes for you and your husband.
Tinker is a true gentleman. We need more like him. If all else fails, take it to Villages Golf Carts.
Old 06-17-2022, 03:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

You have to love someone who refers to people who are trying to be helpful as "idiots".

Wow. Just when you think you've seen it all.
Old 06-17-2022, 06:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I agree. They are called screw extractors. You can also buy a single extractor at Home Depot if you know the correct size. You drill a hole into the screw head and then use a hammer to tap the extractor into the hole. Then, you use pliers or a wrench to manually unscrew the screw.
Are actually two types of screw extractors. One is square and you drill a hole and tap it in and turn out the screw with a wrench. The other you drill a hole and it is reverse threaded so it tightens as you twist it with a wrench to remove the screw. Frankly either works better with larger screws than these seem to be. A broke screw, typically the screw breaks jut below the head. I would tap a starting spot and drill out the screw. Getting out the screw is only part of the problem. Finding a matching hinge,
may be bigger problem.

I too am stubborn. I think the poster said golden oldies. They made it perhaps let them fix it. This seems like on of those simple projects that turns into a disaster. Damaged paint-cracked fiberglass etc.
Old 06-17-2022, 06:42 PM
Platinum member
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulliganguy View Post
I 2nd the motion to talk with the tinker. Free help is hard to pass up. Best wishes for you and your husband.
Another vote for David "Tinker". Easy fix for him...
Old 06-17-2022, 06:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
I'm not a tool meister, just a silly lady taking on a project that is way way above my pay grade or knowledge, just thought I would get advice from those of you who have encountered this dilemma, would normally pass this on to my better half but his disability makes this difficult now.
I do not do marriage counseling. Night before I got married my dad long gone now passed on family wisdom. I think it came from my great great, perhaps one more great grandfather. You will never understand your wife. If, you do, first of all it will quickly change so not only are you wrong it is your fault..
Old 06-18-2022, 07:14 AM
Soaring Eagle member

You could be right!
Old 06-22-2022, 01:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Villagetinker you are the best

How can I thank you enough. So kind of you to give up your morning to help us with our golf cart doors. We need more David's in the world. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!
Old 06-22-2022, 02:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

To all that offered advice on this repair. It was interesting, 3 screws had the phillips head stripped. 2 screws had the phillips head actually break off the screw body. 2 screws were in so tight I had to cut the hinges off to get a grip on the screws to remove. One actually came out easily. Eventually I was able to remove all but the 2 screws that broke. These had to be drilled out. All of these screws were stainless steel, which required Cobalt bits, oil and lots of time drill out. In the end I was able to get all the screws out (8), the owner provided new stainless steel screws and i was able to install the new hinges, all in all a productive morning.

Tags
screws, power, tools, yipsters, uninstall

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.