Higher grades of fuel for gas golf carts

Closed Thread
Old 06-05-2011, 05:19 PM
Smile Higher grades of fuel for gas golf carts

At the time of our recent purchase of a gas golf cart we were told that Yamaha recommends use of mid-grade or premium gas together with the Sta-Bil Marine Formula Ethanol Treatment.

Do other gas cart users out there use the higher grades of gasoline in their carts?
Old 06-05-2011, 08:16 PM
Sage

Our Yamaha owner's manual simply states "Unleaded Fuel" is the recommendation. However, like in your case, Carts and Clubs (perhaps the same dealer where you got your cart) suggested using higher octane fuel for several reasons: first, to lower the 'stink' factor that is produced by the engine, and second, octane levels drop over time as fuel sits. Starting out with a higher octane fuel will net you more octane down the road versus starting with regular unleaded. To me, that part would be a non-issue if you use your cart on a regular basis - would only make sense for carts that sit unused for longer periods of time.

Also, the dealer recommended the Marine Formula/Ethanol version of Sta-Bil over the conventional Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer. Here's what the manufacturer says about their product - draw your own conclusions:

http://www.goldeagle.com/assets/news...am_%282%29.pdf

I've always used the conventional Sta-Bil in the fuel tanks of stored vehicles, etc. with no fuel related issues for years - but that's in OH. Maybe the issue being addressed by using the Marine Formula in carts in TV is based a lot on how humid it generally is in FL.

Personally, I feel the cart dealer knows a WHOLE lot more about golf carts than I ever will. So when they're recommending something - and not trying to sell me that same 'something' in the process - I'll listen and heed their advice accordingly.

Bill
Old 06-05-2011, 08:31 PM
Platinum member

We have two gas carts. One is a 2001 and the other is a 2004. I have used unleaded regular gas in both without any issues.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:17 PM

When I purchased my new Yamaha gas cart from The Villages Golf Cart Store last year they stated I should add the Sta-Bil Marine Formula Ethanol Treatment to each tank of gas. The fact sheet they gave me states that the Sta-Bil is formulated to condition your gas, clean the inside of your motor and coat the engine parts so that the ethanol in the fuel does not adhere to the metal and start to clog or gum up you equipment.

On the subject of fuel, they told me that they recommended using a mid-grade or premium fuel. The fact sheet states that the vehicles run better on higher grades of fuel and both the higher fuel grades and the Sta-Bil Marine Formula tend to reduce odors.

I always use premium grade fuel in my cart along with adding the Sta-Bil.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:28 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Where is the best place to buy Sta-Bil?
Old 06-06-2011, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Where is the best place to buy Sta-Bil?
Walmart
Old 06-06-2011, 07:08 AM
Gold member

The Marine Formula STA-BIL is blue in color. The recommendation is a half ounce per golf cart tank full.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:01 AM

Thanks for all the responses. You can buy the Sta-Bill in Burrys Hardware store as well. We were told that this is necessary because of the ethanol that is now present in gas everywhere as it helps protect the engine.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:53 AM
Gold member

Higher octane gasoline is not better gas, it is gas with an additive to prevent pre-ignition in a high compression rated engine.
Here's how it works, in an extremely condensed explanation.
When your piston is travelling up it builds up compression in the cylinder. Under high compression, gasoline which has been squirted into the cylinder via the intake valves can detonate prior to the spark from the spark plug. This is pre-ignition, something you want to avoid. The increased octane actually reduces the explosiveness of the fuel to help prevent the fuel from igniting too soon.
I'm not sure about all carts but Yamaha rates it's golf cart engines at an 8:1 compression rating, hardly high compression.
That's all the increased octane does. It does not reduce odor, it does not increase milage, it does not decrease wear.
To pay for premium gas most vehicles is a waste of money. If you stick to known brands of gasoline you should have all the additives you need to help your engine run fine and dandy on regular unleaded.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog103 View Post
Higher octane gasoline is not better gas, it is gas with an additive to prevent pre-ignition in a high compression rated engine.
When your piston is travelling up it builds up compression in the cylinder. Under high compression, gasoline which has been squirted into the cylinder via the intake valves can detonate prior to the spark from the spark plug. This is pre-ignition, something you want to avoid. The increased octane actually reduces the explosiveness of the fuel to help prevent the fuel from igniting too soon.
I'm not sure about all carts but Yamaha rates it's golf cart engines at an 8:1 compression rating, hardly high compression.
That's all the increased octane does. It does not reduce odor, it does not increase milage, it does not decrease wear.
To pay for premium gas most vehicles is a waste of money. If you stick to known brands of gasoline you should have all the additives you need to help your engine run fine and dandy on regular unleaded.
Glad someone took this one on- I believe even the dealers give bad info on this subject- Higher octane is definitely a waste of money unless you have a very high compression engine. Gas additives are most often a waste also. Don't really know about Sta bil. Does anyone out there have facts(not anecdotes) about the value of Sta bil? Just the facts Maam
Old 06-06-2011, 03:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog103 View Post
That's all the increased octane does. It does not reduce odor, it does not increase mileage, it does not decrease wear.
Exactly right. Thanks for dispelling all the old wives tales. Most people think high octane equal more power. Actually a lower compression engine runs "better" on reg fuel as it burns quicker. The cart people can recommend anything they think is right, but the actual manufacture such as Yamaha who built the thing and their engineers who designed it have infinitely more knowledge than Joe or Bob at a golf cart store. Sta-bil marine is good if you plan to let your gas set for 4 weeks or more. I buy gas every other week, so I never use it.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
Exactly right. Thanks for dispelling all the old wives tales. Most people think high octane equal more power. Actually a lower compression engine runs "better" on reg fuel as it burns quicker. The cart people can recommend anything they think is right, but the actual manufacture such as Yamaha who built the thing and their engineers who designed it have infinitely more knowledge than Joe or Bob at a golf cart store. Sta-bil marine is good if you plan to let your gas set for 4 weeks or more. I buy gas every other week, so I never use it.
I had been using mid-grade fuel in my '08 ez-go until I read this thread. I filled the tank with regular last week and it runs better than it ever has on mid-grade, especially at low rpm's when pulling into the garage or parking spaces at the golf courses, etc. I'll stick with regular from now on and quit wasting my money on mid-grade.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
Carts and Clubs (perhaps the same dealer where you got your cart) suggested using higher octane fuel for several reasons:
That's odd. I directly asked Tim (or is it Tom) at Carts and Clubs three weeks ago and he said just regular gas with occasional sta-bil.

Last edited by Russ_Boston; 06-17-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:38 PM
Sage

When we purchased our used Yamaha at Carts and Clubs, they did not say anything about using a higher octane fuel. We just use regular unleaded.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
That's odd. I directly asked Tim (or isn't Tom) at Carts and Clubs three weeks ago and he said just regular gas with occasional sta-bil.
Russ, maybe they need to get their collective act together! Ha-ha! I think Tom is who you're probably referring to - he's their sales guy. The fellow who gave me the info was the guy (can't think of his name) who made the delivery when we got the cart from them - he also does all their mobile/field service work. He's Ted and Connie's son-in-law.

Bill
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.