How do you change a tire on a golf cart? Do It Yourself.

Old 01-24-2024, 10:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justputt View Post
I bought my cart from TV and it came with a "free" 1 year membership for their service. These repair issues are so infrequent, why bother? It's unlikely you'll have your tools, repair kit, parts, etc. in your cart or home and will still need a tow & ride home. IMO, while flats can be handled, unless you're mechanically inclined, can tow your cart when needed, etc. just pay the nominal fee to renew it and let someone else fix it for you.
Does AAA do golf carts? I suppose this would really only work if you were using regular streets though as you would need a golf cart to get on the greens. Or AAA would. I probably already answered my question though. Just curious if AAA will help with a golf cart that broke down at or near your home?
Old 01-24-2024, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
Simple problems are best solved with simple solutions.

Use a standard ratchet to loosen but add a long length of pipe which slips over the handle. Leverage. The pipe will cost less than fifteen dollars

More complex solutions:

Use a 'breaker bar' instead of a pipe on ratchet. Here is one for 14.99: harbor frieight breaker bar. This is cheaper than any cart repair service ($69.95 for one year) or handyman.

Use this telescoping lug wrench for 16.99: Wheel Accessories Parts Extendable Telescoping Lug Wrench Wheel Wrench with CR-V Chrome Vanadium Sockets Long Thin Wall Socket Sizes 17mm 19mm 3/4" 21mm 3/16” 23mm 7/8” fit virtually all vehicles https://a.co/d/fdav8Xi

Purchase decent quality electric impact gun vice the inexpensive one you own. For ten dollars more than a one year subscription to 'Kart rescue' you can get: PORTER-CABLE Impact Wrench, 7.5-Amp, 450 lbs. of Torque, 1/2 Inch, Corded (PCE211) https://a.co/d/9ThmlvC
My husband's experience, an 18 inch breaker bar was not enough, a 3 foot piece of pipe over the ratchet handle did the job but still with great difficulty. I believe the use of an impact wrench is totally unnecessary and cause these kinds of problems.

Last edited by Kathyo; 01-24-2024 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-24-2024, 11:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Back tire today. But this could happen again on front. And I have those two items.

How much torque does the impact produce? I have 3/8” impact and it don’t get tight ones off. But the 1/2 inch buzzes them right off.
Old 01-24-2024, 11:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyo View Post
My husband's experience, an 18 inch breaker bar was not enough, a 3 foot piece of pipe over the ratchet handle did the job but still with great difficulty. I believe the use of an impact wrench is totally unnecessary and cause these kinds of problems.
Liability IMO, they make sure they’re good and tight.
Old 01-24-2024, 11:08 AM

One trick to getting a lug nuts off is to tighten a bit first. Use a hammer to tap lug wrench in tighten direction, then tap in loosen direction. That procedure is usually very helpful.
Old 01-24-2024, 11:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy o View Post
One trick to getting a lug nuts off is to tighten a bit first. Use a hammer to tap lug wrench in tighten direction, then tap in loosen direction. That procedure is usually very helpful.
That will help. Thanks.
Old 01-24-2024, 02:14 PM
Default Call AAA

Call AAA, they do golf carts. It’s covered in their basic policy.

Quote:
Does AAA do golf carts? I suppose this would really only work if you were using regular streets though as you would need a golf cart to get on the greens. Or AAA would. I probably already answered my question though. Just curious if AAA will help with a golf cart that broke down at or near your home?
Old 01-24-2024, 02:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogPilot View Post
Call AAA, they do golf carts. It’s covered in their basic policy.
Good to know especially if I have a problem in a golf cart out on the streets of the Villages. I do not golf so would not be on a course.
Old 01-24-2024, 04:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
I have not been taking the golf cart enough to get it serviced and had had a flat a while back. But the lug nuts are on so hard that they do not seem to budge even with deep penetrating oil. I do have an electric lug wrench but it just seems to make a lot of noise and not do much of anything. It is a two speed electric lug wrench. Do I have to go Tim the Toolman on the project? Hire a handyman? Or just what?

Does the Villages Golf Cart seller that has shops in the various Squares pick up golf carts or do you have to drop it off now?
Provided that the bolts are NOT left-hand threads, then you would need a lot of torque - coming from a long 1/2 or 3/4 breaker bar (and maybe even a metal pipe added for more torque).
...........I wonder if you have uncovered a CONSPIRACY of the shop over-tightening to require professional service. Just asking.
Old 01-24-2024, 04:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Provided that the bolts are NOT left-hand threads, then you would need a lot of torque - coming from a long 1/2 or 3/4 breaker bar (and maybe even a metal pipe added for more torque).
...........I wonder if you have uncovered a CONSPIRACY of the shop over-tightening to require professional service. Just asking.
I would not be surprised. But we can always Tim the Tool Guy them as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_iANf1BH4U
Old 01-30-2024, 12:42 PM
Smile Spinning Wheel, Got to go round

Quote:
I have not been taking the golf cart enough to get it serviced and had had a flat a while back. But the lug nuts are on so hard that they do not seem to budge even with deep penetrating oil. I do have an electric lug wrench but it just seems to make a lot of noise and not do much of anything. It is a two speed electric lug wrench. Do I have to go Tim the Toolman on the project? Hire a handyman? Or just what?

Does the Villages Golf Cart seller that has shops in the various Squares pick up golf carts or do you have to drop it off now?
So I had the problem of the wheels (any one of the 4) spinning from the REMOVAL torque. A friend mentioned to me that I needed to do it in the street. Moving the cart out there worked. The asphalt provided the necessary friction for removal with all my body weight and pulling on a 4-way wrench. It is not a quick battle! Fortunately, once you break all 4 wheels free, you can re-install them in a more practical fashion with a MUCH lower than factory torque. Good luck with it!
Old 01-30-2024, 02:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by flsteve View Post
So I had the problem of the wheels (any one of the 4) spinning from the REMOVAL torque. A friend mentioned to me that I needed to do it in the street. Moving the cart out there worked. The asphalt provided the necessary friction for removal with all my body weight and pulling on a 4-way wrench. It is not a quick battle! Fortunately, once you break all 4 wheels free, you can re-install them in a more practical fashion with a MUCH lower than factory torque. Good luck with it!

Finally got the tire changed. I have not been in a hurry to get out in cold weather in a golf cart.

The 4 way wrench and the "Telescoping Lug Wrench Wheel Wrench with CR-V Chrome Vanadium Sockets" Amazon.com worked well.
Old 01-31-2024, 12:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy o View Post

For me One of these has never failed to break any nut loose providing you get good blow on wrench or breaker bar.

Access to this page has been denied
Old 01-31-2024, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
You need a wheel brace extension
Piece of tubing about 3 foot long as an extension of the brace.
More leverage.
Cheater bar. Lefty loosey, righty tighty.

Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide everything.

Joseph Stalin
Old 01-31-2024, 07:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
For me One of these has never failed to break any nut loose providing you get good blow on wrench or breaker bar.

Access to this page has been denied
I have a hand sledgehammer.

Tags
golf, lug, cart, electric, wrench

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.