How do you speed up your club car?

Closed Thread
Old 05-04-2010, 09:30 PM
Default carts

Hey K2, Someone plays third for the Sox and uses the cart driven by Who when hes not playing first. I don't care is the ss but Who Cares (I Don'ts cousin) drives the cart when he is not being used as a utility outfielder.
I forgot to bring it to everyones att. that you should remove the heimerfrizzle before raising the foosfuzzler otherwise you'll be spinning your wheels trying to get to the course.
Bottom line is that you are a VILLAGER, what's your hurry anyway. Don't confuse Anyway with the centerfielder by the same name. Good luck and don't forget to check the batteries. Trojans seem to stretch the useage a little longer as they are of a better quality according to the posters in this or another thread.

Last edited by Whatever; 05-04-2010 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:16 PM

At this point I am so confused that I don't think that the speed of my cart even matters to me anymore.
I just wish that I lived in TV now.
I don't wish my life away but I do look forward to that time.
When I finally pick up this cart I hope to put some of this wonderful knowledge to use.
EB
Old 05-06-2010, 12:54 PM

Our 2004 Club Car DS came with 8" tires and went around 17 MPH. Hubby put 10" tires on the back of the cart, leaving the 8" on the front. Cart now goes 20-21 MPH. Lots of people have done this. Cheap fix.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:23 PM

Good info. I pick it up tomorrow. Then I get my first chance to drive it. My daughter, son-in-law, grand daughter and wife have driven it all with different views on how fast they think it goes. The only thing that I have is the picture of it and the bill so far. I will check back later with my opinion but the tire idea sounds like a easy and cheap way to get some extra mph.
Thanks
EB
Old 05-07-2010, 07:36 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsoonenough View Post
The problem is mine has one of the older disgronifracators and will not allow any extra spherocity without adding an additional modat module. And as we all know they don't give those modats away cheap!!
EB
It's all in the transmission. The solution is a little pricey, but should give you all the speed you need! checkout this link:

http://sz0090.wc.mail.comcast.net/se...&part=2&disp=a
Old 05-11-2010, 10:04 PM

OK, I got the cart and it is very nice, well kept and I feel like I got a good deal. The batteries are Trojan/Club Car batteries and have E8 stamped on them so I guess that means they are 08 batteries. I put a GPS in it and it goes 15 MPH into the wind and 16 MPH down wind. Is that how fast they go? If I want 19 to 20 mph can I do it with 10 " tires. By the way it has 8" tires
Can the speed be adjusted with the codes in the controller? That one is for AJ

Also, how often do you need to add water? Is it just check it and see or should it be once a week or???
I also noticed that the charger goes on and off a few times when I first hook it up. Is that normal?
Are Trojan batteries good batteries?

OK, That's enough for now because I don't want to wear out my welcome.
Thanks
EB

Last edited by notsoonenough; 05-11-2010 at 10:07 PM. Reason: changing wording
Old 05-12-2010, 05:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
OK, I got the cart and it is very nice, well kept and I feel like I got a good deal. The batteries are Trojan/Club Car batteries and have E8 stamped on them so I guess that means they are 08 batteries. I put a GPS in it and it goes 15 MPH into the wind and 16 MPH down wind. Is that how fast they go? If I want 19 to 20 mph can I do it with 10 " tires. By the way it has 8" tires

Also, how often do you need to add water? Is it just check it and see or should it be once a week or???
I also noticed that the charger goes on and off a few times when I first hook it up. Is that normal?

Thanks
EB
First thing I would do is call the local Club car dealer and get the speed code set to 4. This may be all you need. See iaudit's post also.

Tires size will get you 10-15% by increasing the diameter from 18 to 20.5 inches.

A CC charger when working is 3 steps, needle to the right for 30 secs, needle off, then needle to the right for charge.

Trojan batteries are a good name. Do you have 4-12v in your Precedent or 6-8v? If it is 4-12v CC had lots of issues, ask the dealer their thoughts. I cannot remember reading about a computer upgrade.

Here is a simple battery maint spec:
http://www.usbattery.com/usb_care_maint.html

I am a golf cart hobbyist and at the end of my knowledge, so good luck....
Old 05-12-2010, 07:14 AM

Quote:

Thanks
EB
Approximate values:

Speed Code 1 = 8 Mph
Speed Code 2 = 11 Mph
Speed Code 3 = 14.7 Mph
Speed Code 4 = 19.7 Mph

Looks like you have speed code 3 set for your cart. Also be advised that if you increase tire size you will probably lose torque going up a hill, meaning you will slow down.

Be sure to add DISTILLED water to the batteries, tap water will reduce the life of the batteries.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:20 AM

Thank you.
I have the 4 battery system. Is there any body who can expand on the problem CC had with the 4 battery system.
I will check with a CC dealer for the code settings.
Thanks
EB
Old 05-12-2010, 08:46 AM
Sage

Quote:
Thank you.
I have the 4 battery system. Is there any body who can expand on the problem CC had with the 4 battery system.
Thanks
EB
My Dad takes care of a fleet of carts at a golf course in MA. When the fleet switched over to Precedent (4-12V) they began having premature battery failures, loss of range, etc. He has detailed statistics, I do not.

Trojan and CC always stood behind the warranty, but unclear where the issue resided. I believe both blamed the other to some degree (rumor alert).

Like I said, do not hesitate to ask the CC dealer. I thought I read on some forum that CC has a OBC issue that may have been related to the this, possibly battery overcharging (rumor alert).
Old 05-12-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Thank you.
Thanks
EB
Club Car had a problem with the On Board Computer (OBC) when they first introduced the Precedent in 2004. If you are handy you can check the version of the OBC by taking off the cover where the Run/Tow switch is located (after putting it in Tow position). There should be a rectangular looking plastic box with a wire running through it. It'll either say V2.05, V2.06, or V3.0. The 2.05 computers were replaced with 2.06 computers when the problem was diagnosed. Version 3.0 is used on later models so you probably won't have that version. If you have V2.05, you definitely want to get it replaced.

The OBC acts like a clamp on voltmeter in that it measures the amount of energy that runs through the wire to the motor, it retains this info and then controls the battery charger to recharge the batteries with the amount of energy that was used.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:25 PM

Any idea what getting the code changed should cost?
EB
Old 05-13-2010, 03:33 PM
Veteran member
Default New GE Motor will do the trick!

You can get a brand new GE motor for Club cars without changing the controller. It will change your top speed from a high of 19.6 to the low to mid 20s. Cost is about $550 to $600 installed from Masters on 441 across from the Markets of Marion. The increased speed will eliminate the need to peddle when you go uphill and give you a bit more speed when you want to pass one of those 16.6 mph carts a little safer.

So if you just want a little extra ump and not trying to go crazy, I think you will be happy with the new GE motors Masters Carts installs.

While larger back tires might increase the top speed on the level I got a feeling you won't gain anything up hill and might even loss some speed. And BTW I don't believe there is a transmission or high speed gear option for an electric cart only for gas carts (ugh).
Old 05-13-2010, 03:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Any idea what getting the code changed should cost?
EB
iaudit said $100'ish in an earlier post. We were hoping you would tell us AFTER YOU called the CC dealer
Old 05-13-2010, 09:15 PM

I did call and he told me $400. That sounded high to me. He said that he sends in my controller # and serial # and they send a new program that he downloads to my controller.
I am still looking for a second estimate.
EB
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.