If you drive a cart - please read this

Closed Thread
Old 02-28-2013, 07:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

OK....I have to chime in here. Is it dangerous, Yes. Is it stupid, No.

Many folks believe it to be illegal to cross a solid white line and have stated that it was illegal in the state from which they came. The line is a solid white line.

In another thread, many folks said it was stupid or illegal for a car to cross that same line to make a right hand turn to avoid a collision with a cart. But, you said it was ok to cross it when you actually made the turn. So, is this not the exact same maneuver the cart is making from the cart lane?

Can't have it both ways....
Old 02-28-2013, 07:38 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
I wouldn't trust the fact a cart had their signal on that they were turning. I've seen carts going down the road for miles with their signal on and not realizing it.
You're right but I am referring to those drivers who don't have their turn signal on.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 02-28-2013, 07:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrheydt View Post
A little bit off topic but what is bothersome to me is carts turning right prior to entering a tunnel that waits until the last minute to signal a right turn while I'm sitting at the tunnel exit not knowing if the are going straight or turning right. Please signal a little earlier if this pertains to you.

Btw, I always make a left turn from the vehicle lane. Sometimes you have to slow down and wait for a brake in traffic.

John
While the situation you present is annoying, at least it's not dangerous.

One of the problems might be that, like my cart, there is a delay when turning on the directionals. I move the lever up or down and there is often 5-10 seconds until the light starts flashing. It's difficult to adjust to this because I'm so used to driving the car where they come on immediately.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I have seen comments in similar threads that people think it is illegal to cross a white line, so maybe some cart drivers are reluctant to move in to the left lane?

But that is certainly no excuse for not choosing a safe time to do so.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:27 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

I have also observed other carts not using turn signals at entrances to tunnels. What I hate most about the rental, or loaner carts are there are no signal reminders on the turn signals. I have to remind myself to recheck after each turn.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:17 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glgene View Post
Does it make sense to consider putting seat belts on a golf cart? The passenger side seems to offer little (no?) protection if the cart driver suddenly has to swerve to avoid an accident, or swerves suddenly for any reason.

Gene
Yes. Not with the idea of it helping in an accident like you do in a car but just to give a little extra security to the passenger.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I think a big part of the problem is we all need to be educated on the rules for driving carts and for driving cars where carts are present. However there will always be inexperienced driver coming to the community so you just have to expect that not everyone knows the rules and you have to be extra careful in a cart.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:31 AM

While everyone is sharing observations...
I have seen several (men and women) talking on cell phones while driving their cart.
Watched a lady in my neighborhood try to pull into her driveway, put on her signal (but not until she had started to make the turn, as giving advance warning would be unfair) while balancing her phone. I was behind her and once I saw the phone I gave her loads of room. She almost lost the phone but after several shoulder movements (is there a TV club called cell phone balancing yet) and a few unusual jerks on the steering wheel, she managed to get the cart in the driveway.
I would imagine there is no rule about driving while on the cell phone and that common sense rules the day. I pull over when I get a call as I think that is the common sense thing to do. But then, I havn't been to the Cell Phone Balancing Club yet!!
Old 02-28-2013, 11:40 AM
Sage

I got to experience 1st hand riding in a car (not cart) with a snowbird today. They are fairly new coming here and for a short period of time with each. Anyway, it was scarey especially on the roundabouts. I think so many "new" folks are so unaccustomed to how to drive here---be it in a car or a cart.

Cell-phones should be againest the law for drivers anywhere. MOST times you will see irradict driving and if you could see the driver they're either texting, reading a text OR talking on their phones!!! NO call or THAT important that you can't let it go to voice-mail for later! Whatever did you do before the invention of cellphones anyway???
Old 02-28-2013, 12:27 PM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
I got to experience 1st hand riding in a car (not cart) with a snowbird today. They are fairly new coming here and for a short period of time with each. Anyway, it was scarey especially on the roundabouts. I think so many "new" folks are so unaccustomed to how to drive here---be it in a car or a cart.

Cell-phones should be againest the law for drivers anywhere. MOST times you will see irradict driving and if you could see the driver they're either texting, reading a text OR talking on their phones!!! NO call or THAT important that you can't let it go to voice-mail for later! Whatever did you do before the invention of cellphones anyway???
Apparently the Florida Legislature is going to address this issue in the upcoming legislative session. I received a questionaire from my state senator asking "Do you think the use of handheld cell phones while driving should be banned in Florida?"

If you want to make your opinions know, call your local state representative or senator.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:40 PM
Send a message via AIM to DENNIS G Send a message via MSN to DENNIS G
Default Turn Signals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
While the situation you present is annoying, at least it's not dangerous.

One of the problems might be that, like my cart, there is a delay when turning on the directionals. I move the lever up or down and there is often 5-10 seconds until the light starts flashing. It's difficult to adjust to this because I'm so used to driving the car where they come on immediately.
Your signals should come on as soon as you move the lever, the same as your car. Either the flasher is bad or the switch isn't making immediate contact. Could also be a bad ground.
I used to work on carts all the time but gave it up. Sometimes the flasher will heat up before it starts to work properly. If you have LED lights and a regular flasher that maybe your problem also. LED lights require an electronic flasher.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:22 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
OK....I have to chime in here. Is it dangerous, Yes. Is it stupid, No.

Many folks believe it to be illegal to cross a solid white line and have stated that it was illegal in the state from which they came. The line is a solid white line.

In another thread, many folks said it was stupid or illegal for a car to cross that same line to make a right hand turn to avoid a collision with a cart. But, you said it was ok to cross it when you actually made the turn. So, is this not the exact same maneuver the cart is making from the cart lane?

Can't have it both ways....
I agree. It's wrong to call these folks "stupid". They may be uninformed about the proper way to merge from the diamond lane in order to make a left hand turn...here in The Villages...but that doesn't make them stupid or idiots or any other offensive term. As Memason pointed out, there have been several discussions here on TOTV (amongst long-time full-timers) about the legality of crossing the solid white line in order to pass a slower vehicle. To the best of my knowledge, that question has never been answered, based on Florida law.

Today I saw two ladies in a golf cart on St Charles. They were sitting in the diamond lane, with the the left blinker on, waiting for a break in heavy traffic from both directions so they could turn left. If I could have safely stopped my car and explained to them the proper merging and turning procedures, I would have. But I couldn't, so I drove on by and mentally wished them luck. I don't think they were stupid. I think they were trying to do what they thought was correct.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:39 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW

I got my belts from Grandpas and Grammas but it was with a cart. Call around to different people who sell or service carts.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 03-01-2013, 09:02 PM
Veteran member
Default Education Needed

Last edited by KeepingItReal; 05-23-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:21 PM

First read -- http://www.districtgov.org/community...rtBrochure.pdf
Then golf cart school
Good golf school would also be a good idea
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.