Input Shaft Replacement - 2011 Yamaha Gas

Closed Thread
Old 11-17-2023, 12:32 PM
Default Input Shaft Replacement - 2011 Yamaha Gas

Just had annual maintenance performed by The Villages Golf Carts. They informed us our cart needs a new input shaft. They can't replace it as they only use Yamaha parts and Yamaha no longer manufactures input shafts for a 2011 cart. Anyone have any ideas on a reputable company that would be able to replace the input shaft for us? And any idea on what that might cost? Thanks for your help.
Old 11-17-2023, 12:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

There are many golf cart parts websites and I would start there first, also, there are several golf cart services that do the work at your house, I have used Todd Casey, and Willies and would recommend both.
Old 11-17-2023, 12:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,940 Times in 2,460 Posts

Is this shaft where secondary clutch goes over? Or is it the engine shaft?

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...b406009fd5-jpg
Old 11-17-2023, 01:33 PM

I believe its the one where the secondary clutch goes because the mechanic said that the clutch was loose and wobbly.
Old 11-17-2023, 01:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by klobben View Post
I believe its the one where the secondary clutch goes because the mechanic said that the clutch was loose and wobbly.

Second on here that’s reported that problem? Maybe the other guy will chime in?
Old 11-17-2023, 06:22 PM
Veteran member

eBay almost always has stuff like that. Used or "remanufactured".
Old 11-17-2023, 11:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
I believe it’s the one where the secondary clutch goes because the mechanic said that the clutch was loose and wobbly.

If you look at picture I posted of the transaxle output shaft did they tell you want was wrong with it? When I replaced my secondary clutch the shaft was pretty straight forward. The clutch had washer bushing and Teflon bushing? Lots of parts to go bad? I have the same shaft as you? I didn’t see any external wear? Was it internal in your case?

Last edited by Topspinmo; 03-05-2024 at 03:07 PM.
Old 11-18-2023, 06:45 AM

I had a clutch noise and took it in to the villages golf carts. Cart is a little over 2 years old with almost 10,000 miles on it, and it is the Yamaha quiet drive 2. They replaced the secondary clutch assembly and the input shaft which would have cost me over $700 with all the different pieces needed plus labor, but they filed it under warranty. The input shaft was $333 and the secondary clutch was $199.
Old 11-18-2023, 08:33 AM

Yes the part has been officially discontinued. So whatever is out there is out there. The aftermarket has not come out with a replacement.
It is a preventable failure, it just needs to be looked at at every service interval.
To the OP, get a second opinion since you said who looked at it. It may not be as big an issue as they are stating and may be fixable.
Old 11-18-2023, 08:44 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyP View Post
Yes the part has been officially discontinued. So whatever is out there is out there. The aftermarket has not come out with a replacement.
It is a preventable failure, it just needs to be looked at at every service interval.
To the OP, get a second opinion since you said who looked at it. It may not be as big an issue as they are stating and may be fixable.
Besides looking at it, what do you do to prevent problems?
Does regular clutch greasing prevent the issue?
Old 11-18-2023, 12:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,181 Times in 835 Posts

Is there such a thing as a golf cart junk yard? Where do dead golf carts end up?
Old 11-18-2023, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoSno View Post
Besides looking at it, what do you do to prevent problems?
Does regular clutch greasing prevent the issue?
Its not a greasing issue or a loose bolt issue like many believe but any good tech who has been in the business since 2007 will now what to check. The issue still happens to this day so it is still a critical check when serviced.
Old 11-18-2023, 04:21 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyP View Post
Its not a greasing issue or a loose bolt issue like many believe but any good tech who has been in the business since 2007 will now what to check. The issue still happens to this day so it is still a critical check when serviced.
So there is nothing you can do to prevent it?
You must have someone look at it, only to tell you the part is no longer available.
What is the fix the techs are doing?

Last edited by NoMoSno; 11-18-2023 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-18-2023, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Just had annual maintenance performed by The Villages Golf Carts. They informed us our cart needs a new input shaft. They can't replace it as they only use Yamaha parts and Yamaha no longer manufactures input shafts for a 2011 cart. Anyone have any ideas on a reputable company that would be able to replace the input shaft for us? And any idea on what that might cost? Thanks for your help.
I fought for over a year trying to get The Villages Golf Carts to sell me over the counter a part that I needed. They only wanted to charge me a set hourly rate to install part, it was a plug in part that takes about a minute, charging $85. I checked on eBay and Amazon and searched the internet for the part I need with no success.
Finally after over a year I found the part I needed at Country Village carts in Webster. They are very accommodating and professional and I will suggest them to everyone from now on.
They will pick up cart and repair it, if needed.
Old 11-18-2023, 06:37 PM
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
If you look at picture I posted of the transaxle output shaft did they tell you want was wrong with it? When I replaced my secondary clutch the shaft was pretty straight forward. The clutch had washer bushing and Teflon bushing? Lots of parts to go bad? I have the same shaft as you? I didn’t see any external wear? Was it internal in your case?
Sorry but you're talking way above my pay grade on this!
Closed Thread

Tags
input, shaft, yamaha, replace, cart

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.