Hot light switch

Closed Thread
Old 06-29-2011, 07:26 PM
Veteran member
Default Hot light switch

Lately when I touch the switch to turn off my headlights,it is very hot.Tonight I even detected an odor of perhaps burning.Help-what could be wrong,what needs to be done and who fixes these kinds of problems?Does Village Golf Carts at Lake Sumter repair carts?I'm picking up a rental there Saturday and thought maybe I could drop mine off when picking up the rental.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:44 PM
Gold member

This is something that you should get fixed soon. The villages Golf Cart store at Spanish Springs does this type of work. Also the other golf cart store at Spanish Springs also does this type of work. I don't think the store at Lake Sumter does work on carts but may be able to do a simple job like this.

But do get it fixed soon.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:07 PM
Veteran member

The very same thing happened to my light switch. Picked one up and changed it myself. Be sure and get the sleves because they will be toast also. It only takes about 10 minutes to change
Old 06-30-2011, 05:52 AM
Exclamation

I am not taking anything away from the poster who was able to do it himself, if you have an electrical background. But most of us do not and when it comes to electrical problems that is one of the leading causes of home fires.

I think it well worth the cost to have it looked at by someone trained in fixing electrical issues. I had a problem recently with a wall outlet in our master bathroom. We had been gone for a week, upon return, there was a strong electrical burning odor in the house. We had shut down almost all of the load circuits when we left. It turns out the bathroom outlet had been installed improperly, which created more load then it could handle. The outlet was almost entirely burned and would have started a fire. The outlet had been replaced by the previous owner and installed incorrectly! There are just some things better left to the professionals! Like my neighbor is fond of saying: " There are people for that"...
Old 06-30-2011, 06:05 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I think you are talking about the head light switch on your golf cart, not a switch in your home. Heat is usually caused by a loose connection at the switch. But if you can smell the burning then the switch needs to be replaced. Easy to do yourself if you want, or hire done. But get a new one and replace it soon.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:19 AM

My golf cart was doing the same thing, they picked it up yesterday to repair. The lights also didn't work when it was hot. All this means the switch is shorting out and could cause a fire. Fix it or get it fixed now.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:16 PM
Veteran member

problem fixed-called Willie's golf cart repairs-was in the neighborhood and came within the hour-showed me where dash was melted and wires black-replaced wires,switch-no fuss,no muss-would highly recommend Willie
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.