Lithium Carts

Closed Thread
Old 05-24-2023, 06:57 PM
Veteran member

Tesla and others wouldn't be selling any cars if their batteries only lasted 3-4 years.
Old 05-24-2023, 06:58 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,047 Times in 732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post
So, just was wondering what everyone thought of this trend? Also, if you have a lithium cart, how do you like it? I am VERY interested in an Evolution cart because they get better reviews than star and are way cheaper. Please comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritagoyer View Post
One thing to check into cost of replacing the batteries. They should last 3-4 years and the older the batteries get the mileage goes down.
Nonsense

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterflower View Post
Research the Hemp power batteries. Also, there are many litium batteries exploding while driving and charging. Very hazardous to the environment from mining to fires.
I'm sure there have been some Lithium Battery fires, but it certainly doesn't compare with the risk of storing a gas powered cart in your garage and maybe another 5 gallons of gas for emergencies. Gas can explode, Lithium batteries can get hot. Pick your poison.

Anyone who buys anything other than a Lithium Battery Golf Carts, is mired in the past. Lithium power is vastly superior, in most every way. There's a reason such a huge percentage of Yamaha Gas Carts are being shipped to The Villages ... golf courses don't buy them any more, they buy electric.

Personally, I think the Star is a way better cart than the Evolution, but that's only my opinion.
Old 05-25-2023, 04:54 AM
Sage

Evolution for one year now like a lot,
just be aware the local stealer sets the speed from factory 25 to 20 without asking.

Can't drive enough in day to deplete the battery, recharges very fast

We bought ours thru the dealer in Clearmont saved over $3,000
Old 05-25-2023, 05:04 AM

No maintenance for lithium carts? The life of a lithium battery is between 5-8 years then you have to pay thousands of $$$ to replace them. Then the old battery is hazardous waste which is bad for drinking water. Say you forget to charge your cart and you are in the middle of the golf course, where are you going to charge it? Gas cart, I can either carry a gallon of gas with me or keep a gallon at the house or get a lift to the nearest gas station. My gas cart doesn’t smell, is quiet, have many gas stations nearby to get gas (and I live south of 44), and I don’t have to wait hours for a charge to go anywhere. The little maintenance I have to spend on a gas cart over 8 years pales to what the cost of lithium batteries will cost and the hazardous waste of the lithium batteries is much worse than the co2 from a gas cart
Old 05-25-2023, 05:25 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
I am back in TV for the first time since August. My wife was here in February. We have 2 rentals and each has a Yamaha gas cart. We are moving here permanantly in about 1 1/2 years, so looking at another cart at some point. One thing struck me HUGE since I have been back and that is how many less Yamaha carts are on the road. It used to be 90%, now it is more like 75-80% Seems like more than half the new carts out there are Lithium EZGO, Star, or Evolution. I talked to a guy at the Villages golf cars and he said he sells more than half of the carts as Lithium, even with the slightly higher price. I have talked to a bunch of people at the squares in all 3 Lithium carts and everyone LOVES them. They all told me they got 60 or 80 miles of range and that was plenty (I agree). So, just was wondering what everyone thought of this trend? Also, if you have a lithium cart, how do you like it? I am VERY interested in an Evolution cart because they get better reviews than star and are way cheaper. Please comment.
I bought an EZgo lithium battery cart three years ago and loved it. At that time about 20% of sales at Villages Golf Cars was lithium battery carts. A friend of mine just bought one, and I went with her to help her trick it out. The salesman told her it is now 80%. The quiet ride and lack of exhaust fumes and extreme ease of recharging are great selling points, especially for snowbirds who won’t damage the battery by being gone six months.
Old 05-25-2023, 05:51 AM

Quote:
One thing to check into cost of replacing the batteries. They should last 3-4 years and the older the batteries get the mileage goes down.
Wrong. Lithium batteries last 10 years or more.
Old 05-25-2023, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterflower View Post
Research the Hemp power batteries. Also, there are many litium batteries exploding while driving and charging. Very hazardous to the environment from mining to fires.
How many lithium powered golf carts have burned in TV? None? Been some gas powered ones for sure.
Old 05-25-2023, 06:06 AM

Quote:
I am back in TV for the first time since August. My wife was here in February. We have 2 rentals and each has a Yamaha gas cart. We are moving here permanantly in about 1 1/2 years, so looking at another cart at some point. One thing struck me HUGE since I have been back and that is how many less Yamaha carts are on the road. It used to be 90%, now it is more like 75-80% Seems like more than half the new carts out there are Lithium EZGO, Star, or Evolution. I talked to a guy at the Villages golf cars and he said he sells more than half of the carts as Lithium, even with the slightly higher price. I have talked to a bunch of people at the squares in all 3 Lithium carts and everyone LOVES them. They all told me they got 60 or 80 miles of range and that was plenty (I agree). So, just was wondering what everyone thought of this trend? Also, if you have a lithium cart, how do you like it? I am VERY interested in an Evolution cart because they get better reviews than star and are way cheaper. Please comment.
Look into buying an Atomic golf cart with lithium
They are air conditioned, heated
Old 05-25-2023, 06:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by huge-pigeons View Post
Say you forget to charge your cart and you are in the middle of the golf course, where are you going to charge it? Gas cart, I can either carry a gallon of gas with me or keep a gallon at the house or get a lift to the nearest gas station.
Any cart can break down for other reasons than fuel

Quote:
My gas cart doesn’t smell, is quiet, have many gas stations nearby to get gas
All gas carts smell and are noisy, are you kidding?

Quote:
the co2 from a gas cart
"A gas-powered golf cart with a 10.5 horsepower engine that operates for 2.5 hours each week emits 1474.2 pounds of CO2 each year, according to a study by Princeton University."
Old 05-25-2023, 06:39 AM
Veteran member

Nobody cares thank you
Old 05-25-2023, 06:50 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I asked the service manager at golf cars of the villages and he said they've been selling lithium battery powered cars for four years and they have never replaced a battery.
To further support the longevity of a lithium ion battery…I have a 2004 Toyota Prius with a lithium battery. It has 635,000 miles on it. 19 years on the original lithium ion battery and it is still going strong. My Toyota dealer told me there are several of these out there with well over 1,000,000 miles and are from the first version of the Prius approaching 25 years of service.
Old 05-25-2023, 07:28 AM
Default Comfort, Durability, and Long Term Value

Admittedly, lithium batteries have changed the calculus in buying a cart. The increased milage/charge, lighter weight, and the absence of battery acid leaking onto your garage floor all increase the attractiveness of a lithium cart. On the downside, although small, there is the potential for a fire with a lithium battery.

The greatest difference between a Yamaha cart and those of all other manufacturers, is in the comfort, durability, and quality of the product. Only Yamaha has an independent rear axle, which makes a great difference in the ride. No other manufacturer comes close to the quality of Yamaha, the durability of its carts, and the retention of value over a period of years. EZ-GO, Club Cart etc all have to give substantial discounts to golf courses to make a sale or lease of a fleet of carts for the simple reason that after 2-3 years of hard use, their carts are "claptraps". If you question this, find a number of different brands of carts that are more than 5 years old and take a comparison ride. It is akin to a comparison of a Yugo to a Volkswagen, assuming you could find a Yugo to make the comparison.

This glaring difference was brought home to me in the recent past when we had two different couples visit on consecutive weeks, For the first , I rented an EZ-GO from the dealer. It was brand-new. I didn't get out of the parking lot before I considered returning it because of the harsh ride, vague steering, and "rattling" suspension. The following week, I rented a Yamaha from a small business which delivered it to our house. It was pre-2017 and not a "Quiet Tech". I don't know its exact age, but it was upwards of 10 years. Except for having a cheaper seat, and manual turn signals, it was no different than our personal, two year old, Yamaha.

What is needed is for Yamaha to return to making an electric cart with a lithium battery. Given the popularity of lithium carts, I doubt that will be long in coming.
Old 05-25-2023, 07:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,279 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelhunter123 View Post
Look into buying an Atomic golf cart with lithium
They are air conditioned, heated
Think twice about them if you're going to use them to actually play golf...

-Tom Petty
Old 05-25-2023, 08:01 AM

I have an Evolution. It’s wonderful. Quiet. I can drive and listen to music or talk to my friend riding with me. I’m not bothering my neighbors or other golf carts with my racket. I can hardly wait for all cars to be electric. It’ll quiet the world.
Old 05-25-2023, 08:27 AM

I heard The Villages is now using electric golf carts on the Lifestyle visits.
I suggest test driving all the carts available back-to-back prior to purchase so you can compare. Friends who bought Yahama gas 2022 carts did not even test drive anything else! Why would you not even test drive an electric cart? They get in my 2022 EzGo and are shocked (and impressed) by the smooth, odorless, quiet ride. It's evenvmore impressive and fun to drive it.
We decided on the EzGo due to the highest ratings and EzGo reputation even though the shortest range of 60 miles and highest price. We didn't expect to spend over three hours in our cart at a time. We purchased from The Villages Golf Cars and we can charge at their locations, one in Brownwood Square. We avoided the other brand electric carts which use Chinese parts and researched at the time they were more difficult to replace and less reliable. If you are a large person or can't afford the price would be reasons to avoid the EzGo. Good luck!
Closed Thread

Tags
lithium, carts, cart, evolution, back

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.