Lithium Carts

Closed Thread
Old 05-25-2023, 09:58 AM
Default EZGo all the way

All the great things stated already of this cart but love that we don't even really need to use the breaks as the regenerative braking system is awesome. Don't need to apply the brake when parked. Tried it, took a moment to get use to it but love that I can let off the accelerator and it begins to brake. Even going down hill, I let off the pedal and slow right down and generate battery power!

Upgrade the seats for sure. Did rear facing 4 seater, but will need to put spacers/lift in the springs for the back seat. But rolled up hills very well with a full cart of passengers!

Did our homework (over a year), rode every cart, went to several places inside and outside of the Villages. Talked to Villagers, watched/listened to each cart. We choose electric for efficiency, reducing CO2 emissions and mostly reduction in noise. Love my quiet ride. Bought at Village Golf Cars, want to support our local economy and love the 8 yr battery warranty.

Continue to ask questions, it is an investment whether you spend $$ or $$$$. I find I will probably not get another one. UNLESS I have to! Batteries will come down as well with new tech coming out. But don't miss out on the fun of having one.
Old 05-25-2023, 10:10 AM

More than 50% sales are lithium? I'm not thinking the salesperson is privy to the sales figures.
Old 05-25-2023, 10:25 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoMama View Post
I can hardly wait for all cars to be electric. It’ll quiet the world.
Then let's start working on those loud Haley's, lawn mowers, and leaf blowers.
Old 05-25-2023, 10:30 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by haugstad6019@msn.com View Post
All the great things stated already of this cart but love that we don't even really need to use the breaks as the regenerative braking system is awesome. Don't need to apply the brake when parked. Tried it, took a moment to get use to it but love that I can let off the accelerator and it begins to brake. Even going down hill, I let off the pedal and slow right down and generate battery power!
We just golfed in Spruce Creek and they have EZGO carts for their cart rentals and this feature
is awesome.
Old 05-25-2023, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritagoyer View Post
One thing to check into cost of replacing the batteries. They should last 3-4 years and the older the batteries get the mileage goes down.
Totally Bogus (and that's as nice as I can put it)
Mine is 5 years 12K miles and I swear it might go farther now.
NEVER had one issue with it.
I've had one service and a set of tires. That's it.
Old 05-25-2023, 11:53 AM

There were very few Yamaha carts available for a long time. Newbies had no alternative other than the other brands.
Old 05-25-2023, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post
I am back in TV for the first time since August. My wife was here in February. We have 2 rentals and each has a Yamaha gas cart. We are moving here permanantly in about 1 1/2 years, so looking at another cart at some point. One thing struck me HUGE since I have been back and that is how many less Yamaha carts are on the road. It used to be 90%, now it is more like 75-80% Seems like more than half the new carts out there are Lithium EZGO, Star, or Evolution. I talked to a guy at the Villages golf cars and he said he sells more than half of the carts as Lithium, even with the slightly higher price. I have talked to a bunch of people at the squares in all 3 Lithium carts and everyone LOVES them. They all told me they got 60 or 80 miles of range and that was plenty (I agree). So, just was wondering what everyone thought of this trend? Also, if you have a lithium cart, how do you like it? I am VERY interested in an Evolution cart because they get better reviews than star and are way cheaper. Please comment.
I have an EZGO lithium and have driven all the other models. Love it. So quiet and can go 60 miles with some extra left. Doesn’t lose speed on the Bridges and is vey comfortable. Gets me where I want to go. Cheers Steve
Old 05-25-2023, 02:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,318 Times in 872 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
Totally Bogus (and that's as nice as I can put it)
Mine is 5 years 12K miles and I swear it might go farther now.
NEVER had one issue with it.
I've had one service and a set of tires. That's it.
What kind of batteries?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 05-26-2023, 12:43 AM
Gold member

The Samsung SDI lithium battery in the EZGO Elite uses Samsung INR18650-29E7 cells and should have a calendar life of at least 12 years.

EZGO Elite / Samsung SDI for Techies

The EZGO Elite has a bit of a stiff ride that can be mitigated by keeping tire pressure below 18 PSI. It does feel a little tippy in corners...the motor brakes are excellent with no pads to wear out.

The 2004 Prius has a nickel metal hydride battery...Not lithium.
Old 05-26-2023, 07:43 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritagoyer View Post
One thing to check into cost of replacing the batteries. They should last 3-4 years and the older the batteries get the mileage goes down.
True of old flooded lead-acid batteries. Not true of lithium ion.
Old 05-27-2023, 06:47 PM
Veteran member

So my wife and I went and test drove several lithium carts today. WOW. one thing I can say is we won’t buy a gas cart again. We liked the EZGO the best. Drove an atlas, evolution, and EZGO. Still need to try a star cart. Several had gas pedals that were way to close. I am 5’10” so I don’t get how they decide how far away to put the gas pedal. Quiet and huge acceleration without fumes. Yamaha needs to get in the Lithium game. The evolution cart was a bit of a disappointment but mainly because of the placement of the gas and brakes. If they fix that it would be great.
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 05-27-2023, 09:28 PM
Default Lithium carts

I agree with Packer Fan about the Evolution - The gas and brake pedals are too close for me. Also, I don't like the low profile tires. My wife and I recently test drove an EZ Go and a Star. Wife can't tolerate the EZ Go due to steady humming noise, whereas the Star was much quieter. We'll probably end up getting another Star (Lithium this time, to replace our 2010 with Lead-acid batteries.
Old 05-28-2023, 03:16 PM
Default Lithium battery choices?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorTech View Post
The Samsung SDI lithium battery in the EZGO Elite uses Samsung INR18650-29E7 cells and should have a calendar life of at least 12 years.

EZGO Elite / Samsung SDI for Techies

The EZGO Elite has a bit of a stiff ride that can be mitigated by keeping tire pressure below 18 PSI. It does feel a little tippy in corners...the motor brakes are excellent with no pads to wear out.

The 2004 Prius has a nickel metal hydride battery...Not lithium.
MorTech, Do you have a predicted calendar life for Star Lithium batteries? I understand that they incorporate Iron Phosphate chemistry. How is that different from SDI? I've read somewhat recently that Iron Phosphate is the best for lithium batteries... However, understand that technology may be changing rapidly in some respects. Anyway, I'd appreciate getting your perspective on this..
Old 05-29-2023, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker1 View Post
MorTech, Do you have a predicted calendar life for Star Lithium batteries? I understand that they incorporate Iron Phosphate chemistry. How is that different from SDI? I've read somewhat recently that Iron Phosphate is the best for lithium batteries... However, understand that technology may be changing rapidly in some respects. Anyway, I'd appreciate getting your perspective on this..
I would like to know also.
On top of the Star battery is a placard that says to charge it after every use.
Why?
Old 05-29-2023, 07:17 AM

Bought a new 2 seat Evolution in 2021. The ride is rougher, as others have said. I've changed the shocks on the front and that helps. Yes, the local dealer dials it back to 20 MPH, which can be changed (I know a guy...). It is cheaper, and the fit and finish reflect this.

It did need to go in the shop a few times as it was discharging too quickly. Eventually, they replaced the battery, and no issues now. The local dealer doesn't provide loaners, so consider that.

I've never pushed it, but it should go 60 miles on a charge, far more than I will ever need. I like the fact that it is quieter than a gas model, and I don't smell any gas fumes.

Just a side note, I think lithium ion is great for golf carts, for all of the reasons I note about. For a car? Not so much, based on the range limitations, recharge time, and availability of recharge stations. When they make an EV that for all intents and purposes meets those requirements the same as an ICE vehicle, I'll consider it. Not until then.
Closed Thread

Tags
lithium, carts, cart, evolution, back

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.