Lithium conversions?

Closed Thread
Old 11-01-2023, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
The new lithium batteries are ridiculously lightweight. My cart actually goes 2 mph faster with the lighter batteries.]
Probably 5 mph faster over the Everett Kelly golf cart bridge over 441 :-)
Old 11-01-2023, 01:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingal View Post
I thought lithium batteries tend to explode, fire. Not always, but enough times to be wary. Isn't that the battery that is in those hover boards that caught fire?
Hmmm, in that case, I better get rid of my cell phone since cell phones use lithium batteries. I think that one of the cell phone manufacturers did have an overheating issue several years ago, but have since corrected that issue. Yes, lithium batteries can be troublesome BUT I had to replace lead acid batteries every four or five years when they got so weak that they were useless. Plus, I had to remember to constantly add distilled water to them weekly. The acid stains on the concrete are almost impossible to remove. Never have to worry about that again, with lithium. Yes, I will avoid submerging my cart in water because lithium and water do not get along at all. If you are concerned about the safety issue of lithium, put your mind at ease and purchase a fossil fuel cart.

Last edited by Byte1; 11-01-2023 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-01-2023, 11:40 PM
Gold member

Here is a battery that might out work for you...But get help from MCJEFE!

Amazon.com

The charger is 10A which puts the battery charge rate at 0.1C ...that rate is safe.

Last edited by MorTech; 11-01-2023 at 11:46 PM.
Old 11-09-2023, 08:07 PM
Default Club car Lithium?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker1 View Post
I would appreciate hearing from anyone with experience with Lithium conversions from lead-acid, 48-volt. Any issues down the road? Lithium ok with DC motor? Need to change controller? Anything else about this subject? I'm contemplating whether to upgrade my lead-acid to T-125, or switch to Lithium, or just get a new cart.
Any comments from anyone with knowledge/experience in this area will be appreciated.
Thanks!
Thanks to all who responded - I really do appreciate all of your responses. I received conflicting advice (not just on this forum) about converting an older cart to Lithium, but there was enough concern to dissuade me from converting an older cart with DC motor and controller. I'm not a do-it-yourselfer with respect to tinkering with golf carts; however I do appreciate the responses from those who evidently are do-it-yourselfers. I actually ended up with a new set of lead-acid batteries; however still thinking down the road of replacing my cart with a new or slightly used cart with factory-installed Lithium. We have, during this process, looked at, and test-driven Star, EZ-GO, and Evolution Lithium, both new and slightly used. Like the Star, but wondering about the Club Car? Would like to hear from anyone with knowledge of and/or experience with Club Car Lithiums..
Old 11-10-2023, 07:29 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker1 View Post
I would appreciate hearing from anyone with experience with Lithium conversions from lead-acid, 48-volt. Any issues down the road? Lithium ok with DC motor? Need to change controller? Anything else about this subject? I'm contemplating whether to upgrade my lead-acid to T-125, or switch to Lithium, or just get a new cart.
Any comments from anyone with knowledge/experience in this area will be appreciated.
Thanks!
Club Car now makes a long range lithium powered cart. Feel that they have best electric cart. 21K + and the governors cut. Not a lot of $ incentive to go that route.
Old 11-12-2023, 02:58 AM
Gold member

Yeah...DC motors suck a lot of current and could trip the current limiter in the lithium pack.

Also consider the Atlas cart. Dealer on 466.

Also consider the $7999 golf cart at Walmart and do the lithium conversion on that when the AGM batteries need replacement
Closed Thread

Tags
lithium, conversions, lead-acid, appreciated, upgrade

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.