Lithium conversions?

Closed Thread
Old 10-31-2023, 11:35 AM
Default Lithium conversions?

I would appreciate hearing from anyone with experience with Lithium conversions from lead-acid, 48-volt. Any issues down the road? Lithium ok with DC motor? Need to change controller? Anything else about this subject? I'm contemplating whether to upgrade my lead-acid to T-125, or switch to Lithium, or just get a new cart.
Any comments from anyone with knowledge/experience in this area will be appreciated.
Thanks!
Old 10-31-2023, 11:55 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Default Imho

48 Volt Lithium Batteries run about 2,500 dollars. Then you have controllers and glitches that may occur. Then there is the possible issue of fire from something possibly missed during your conversion. Diodes and fuses don’t necessarily protect everything. If you place 3 k into your golf cart, is that worth it to you? I would assume all warranties are gone at this point. Once you spend the cash either way, it becomes a sunk cost. Don’t forget nice used carts can be a viable option as well as new carts. There are great options outside the bubble that even give you a greater savings.

Good luck either way. Golf carts certainly do make living in The Villages quite pleasurable.

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning
Old 10-31-2023, 12:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

IMHO, I would look for a complete kit, not just batteries, will probably cost more, but with any luck will limit future problems.
Old 10-31-2023, 12:30 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Default Definitely

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
IMHO, I would look for a complete kit, not just batteries, will probably cost more, but with any luck will limit future problems.
I would only go that route if possible. Go with something proven where all the kinks are worked out. This likely isn’t just swapping batteries. There could be DC converter issues for charging as well.

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning
Old 10-31-2023, 02:09 PM

Right now, I'm literally sitting infront of my bench building my 9th lithium golf cart battery.

What make model and year of cart are you considering converting? It makes a difference on your battery configuration options.

An electric golf cart doesn't care where it's power comes from, as long as it is the correct voltage for the controller and in sufficient amperage.

Some people will try to go cheap and get some drop in cells from Amazon. These are made more for the RV house battery type situation and will trip off line when placed under a load.

I'd recommend a single large battery if it will fit in your cart. If not then you'll be able to use several "drop in" style batteries to achieve the amp hour (AH) size you desire.

If you plan to drive all over The Villages, like many of us, I would recommend getting a minimum of a 51v (48v), 120ah battery, and 150-160ah is even better. With the 120ah, you'll get anywhere you want in TV and back home. With the 150ah you'll do it and never even remember what Range Anxiety means.

If you have questions feel free to contact me.
Old 10-31-2023, 02:39 PM

IMHO I would be leary from a safety standpoint. I have a 2018 Chevy Volt plug in hybrid car which of course use a lithium battery. My car has a very sophisticated cooling system and battery monitoring system -- I doubt golf cart kits are that safety conscious! For example during got weather I keep my car plugged in even when fully charged because the cooling system will then come on as needed to keep the battery at a safe temperature! If the battery faults while charging, a fire is possible -- thus the monitoring system! Be careful!!!
Old 10-31-2023, 04:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Personally, I would only take advice from someone that has experience with a lithium conversion golf cart. I believe only one of the above fits that criteria. That said, I have limited experience as I have only done a DIY conversion, with Nissan Leaf lithium cells and a few odds and ends in the cart and a cheap Chinese charger. On the plus side, I do not have to charge the battery every time I use it. I will never need to add distilled water to the cells and the cart is faster off the line due to it being 300lbs lighter than the lead acid powered it used to be. I probably have about $500 in parts, BUT I would have had to spend over a grand to replace the lead acid batteries. These lithium batteries will live for about ten years give or take, whereas lead acid batteries are limping along at five years, if that. My lithium battery pack is no where near what most would have in their cart, but this cart will travel maybe ten miles in a trip for shopping. We don't use it for golf. I can build another 48/56volt pack and add it in parallel to get distance, but I don't need it right now. This was an experiment and it is a success. It does not get hot. I have a cell phone App that gives me all the information I need be aware of while using this golf cart and it charges in a couple hours from almost dead, whereas the lead acid batteries required a charging over night. That said, I am still being very careful to watch it for any possible dangers. So far, noting untoward has happened. Yes, I could have spent a grand and gotten a complete package and be done with it. Lead acid is old tech and lithium is newer. I am still watching for a cheaper and more stable power source to become popular. Wind power was considered but once both of us were seated, the darn thing just wouldn't move. Plus the sails and wind mills just wouldn't fit through the tunnels here in the Villages.
Old 10-31-2023, 10:38 PM
Thanked 1,120 Times in 246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker1 View Post
I would appreciate hearing from anyone with experience with Lithium conversions from lead-acid, 48-volt. Any issues down the road? Lithium ok with DC motor? Need to change controller? Anything else about this subject? I'm contemplating whether to upgrade my lead-acid to T-125, or switch to Lithium, or just get a new cart.
Any comments from anyone with knowledge/experience in this area will be appreciated.
Thanks!
I replaced the lead acid batteries in my 2000 Club Car DS with four 12 volt 100 amp/hour Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries (CHINS brand) from Amazon. The batteries were $300 each and the charger was $345 from Allied Lithium Golf Cart and Boat Batteries. I am now on my third 6-month snowbird season & have had zero problems. I can run the cart all day without worry.

If you get batteries from a cart dealer or battery shop you will pay up to $3500 but it's easy to switch the batteries and you will need a charger made for Lithium batteries. On the Club Car I had to disconnect the on-board lead acid battery maintenance gizmo which was easy & there are instructions on the Internet. I think Club Car is the only brand that has the battery maintenance program on-board the cart. The other brands have theirs built into the charger so there is nothing to disconnect. Lithium batteries work fine with the existing DC motor and motor controller as is.

My old lead acid batteries still held a charge so I recouped some of the replacement cost by selling the old batteries and charger. The new lithium batteries are ridiculously lightweight. My cart actually goes 2 mph faster with the lighter batteries.

My advice...go lithium, do it yourself and save a bundle!

Not bad for almost 24 years old (I mean the cart)!
The Villages Florida
Old 11-01-2023, 05:58 AM
Veteran member

I thought lithium batteries tend to explode, fire. Not always, but enough times to be wary. Isn't that the battery that is in those hover boards that caught fire?
Old 11-01-2023, 06:24 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingal View Post
I thought lithium batteries tend to explode, fire. Not always, but enough times to be wary. Isn't that the battery that is in those hover boards that caught fire?
According to Victoria Hutchison, a research project manager at the Fire Protection Research Foundation: "one out of every 10 million lithium-ion batteries fails, a condition that almost always leads to a fire".

Li batteries are in everything these days, from toothbrushes to buses, but those that fail are usual poorly-made (always buy batteries that have been certified by UL or similar) or have been damaged.

Buy the right battery, install them correctly and then look after them properly and you should be okay.

Personally, (and this applies mainly to cars) I would opt for a longer, slower charge rather than getting it done as quickly as possible using a huge amperage.
Old 11-01-2023, 07:07 AM

Here's my experience from 3 years ago. My current range is 60 miles so it dropped a bit. Battery overheated one time on a very hot day and shut down for a couple minutes. Otherwise, no issues.

Roypow S51105 Lithium Battery Review
Old 11-01-2023, 07:47 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
I would only go that route if possible. Go with something proven where all the kinks are worked out. This likely isn’t just swapping batteries. There could be DC converter issues for charging as well.
Wow...2 of the first 4 posts! Yes we get it...you hate EV's.
Suggest you sit this one out and let people who actually have them weigh in and help him with his question
Old 11-01-2023, 07:51 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker1 View Post
Thanks!
I don't believe there's anyone in the villages that can do the conversion. I know there are some outside in Wildwood, Leesburg and Ocala. Search "lithium battery replacement for golf carts near me".

I would suggest letting someone who does this for a living tackle this. If you're going to spend that kind of money you wanna get it done right.
Old 11-01-2023, 08:14 AM

I used Battery Boys to add 4 Relion 48v 30 aHr (120 total) lithium batteries to a 2017 Ezgo RXV cart. Drop in design. $1265 per battery. New charger $400. Dash state of charge qauge $125
External wake up switch $25
Cart runs 40 miles before reaching the recommeded do not go below 20% state of charge limit. 7 year full warranty.
Each battery has its own onboard computer monitoring system that is also linked to the other batteries. This ensures equal charging and shuts down a battery if a problem is detected. That is a great safety feature vs all the stories of lithium
batteries catching on fire. It also allows you to drive home should one battery fail. I have had no issues. The batties can be charged and unplugged at any time, unlike lead acid types. They charge in less than half the time of the lead acid types. No more adding water or cleaning battery posts. If the cart sits for three days the batteries go into sleep mode. The optional wake up switch allows you to reset without lifting the seat up to push the individual battery wake up buttons. Lithium batteries loose about 3% of their charge capacity per year. So after 7 years you will be at 80% of the initial 40 mile range. Call it 32 miles.
Most of the large single lithium battery models require modification to the carts battery tray. They have a higher aHr rating which should mean greater range. The elite version of the RXV has a 120 aHr single battery which people are reporting has the same 40 mile range.
If you feel you might need greater range you can add up to two more batteries in the standard cart battery tray up to two years from the original install date.
Other aftermarket companies offer single 48v lithium batteries that have a higher aHr rating. They sell for less but could require having your cart battery tray replaced. I selected Relion for their advanced battery monitoring system and ease of install. Battery Boys did a great job.
Old 11-01-2023, 10:03 AM
Soaring Eagle member

You said the magic word FUTURE. EV’s that are powered by lithium batteries & EV’s are something for several yrs. in the future.
Closed Thread

Tags
lithium, conversions, lead-acid, appreciated, upgrade

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.