looking for golf cart advice

Closed Thread
Old 12-20-2021, 10:00 PM

I have an electric Club Car and I can attest to the gas powered being smelly and loud. I don't think you smell or hear it as well if you are driving them. The other issues is almost everyone of the gas powered seem to be set to run 23 mph my electric runs 19 mph so you have to let the speedsters by a lot. One other thing is the pollution and the gas powered may eventually not be allowed:

A gas-powered golf cart with a 10.5 horsepower engine that operates for 2.5 hours each week emits 1474.2 pounds of CO2 each year, according to a study by Princeton University.
Old 12-20-2021, 10:15 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,607 Times in 944 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedwards2932 View Post
I have an electric Club Car and I can attest to the gas powered being smelly and loud. I don't think you smell or hear it as well if you are driving them. The other issues is almost everyone of the gas powered seem to be set to run 23 mph my electric runs 19 mph so you have to let the speedsters by a lot. One other thing is the pollution and the gas powered may eventually not be allowed:

A gas-powered golf cart with a 10.5 horsepower engine that operates for 2.5 hours each week emits 1474.2 pounds of CO2 each year, according to a study by Princeton University.
Now do the lithium battery….

‘Lithium-ion technology has downsides — for people and the planet. Extracting the raw materials, mainly lithium and cobalt, requires large quantities of energy and water. Moreover, the work takes place in mines where workers — including children as young as seven — often face unsafe conditions.‘

Battery-grade lithium can also be produced by exposing the material to very high temperatures — a process used in China and Australia — which consumes large quantities of energy.

Cobalt is an important part of a battery’s electrode, but around 70% of this element is found in just one country: the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC). Around 90% of the DRC’s cobalt comes from its industrial mines (90,000 tonnes annually). But in a country where people earn, on average, less than $1,200 annually, the world’s demand for cobalt has attracted thousands of individuals and small businesses, called artisanal miners — and child labour and unsafe working practices are rife.
Old 12-20-2021, 10:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

We have two electric carts, one Par Car (2015) and a Sirius (2020). Range on the Par Car is around 40 miles, range on Sirius about 55. We replace batteries every 3 - 4 years so until the cost of Lithium comes down significantly or we run out of range we have no need. We live in Hillsborough so are about in the middle so Fenny or SS is well within the range needed. (yes, I have done Lopez and Orange Blossom without issue), Average trip is about 25 miles golf included. I have done 50 in the Sirius and, even with the best seats available, your butt will let you know . It's also nice to not have to make stops at gas stations and deal with lifting seats, opening tank and make sure you don't overflow. Pull in your garage, plug it in and you're done.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 12-20-2021, 10:35 PM

I have been here since August. They told me a new golf cart will take 6 months to build. I have heard this month that it is down to 4 and a half months
Old 12-20-2021, 10:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,085 Times in 2,746 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedwards2932 View Post

Glad we didn’t wast money sending our kid to Princeton. Driving a gas cart 2.5 hours per week for 52 weeks would burn about 75 gallons of gas. Since gas weighs 6.1 pounds per gallon, that would be roughly 458 pounds of gas. How in the world could 1,474.2 pounds of CO2 be emitted by burning 458 pounds of gas?
Old 12-20-2021, 10:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,085 Times in 2,746 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
Now do the lithium battery….

‘Lithium-ion technology has downsides — for people and the planet. Extracting the raw materials, mainly lithium and cobalt, requires large quantities of energy and water. Moreover, the work takes place in mines where workers — including children as young as seven — often face unsafe conditions.‘

Battery-grade lithium can also be produced by exposing the material to very high temperatures — a process used in China and Australia — which consumes large quantities of energy.

Cobalt is an important part of a battery’s electrode, but around 70% of this element is found in just one country: the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC). Around 90% of the DRC’s cobalt comes from its industrial mines (90,000 tonnes annually). But in a country where people earn, on average, less than $1,200 annually, the world’s demand for cobalt has attracted thousands of individuals and small businesses, called artisanal miners — and child labour and unsafe working practices are rife.
The inconvenient truth.
Old 12-20-2021, 11:12 PM

Mine has lead acid batteries. AFAIK there are no catalytic converters on a golf cart. Didn't mean to start an argument.......forgot this was the Villages.
Old 12-21-2021, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Glad we didn’t wast money sending our kid to Princeton. Driving a gas cart 2.5 hours per week for 52 weeks would burn about 75 gallons of gas. Since gas weighs 6.1 pounds per gallon, that would be roughly 458 pounds of gas. How in the world could 1,474.2 pounds of CO2 be emitted by burning 458 pounds of gas?
They are taking into account the carbon coming from the gasoline will combine with 2 molecules of oxygen in the air to produce CO2. Given the molecular weight of the Carbon + Oxygen + Oxygen they get the value that CO2 will be 3.7 times greater than the initial starting weight of Carbon in the gasoline.

https://climatekids.nasa.gov/review/.../gasoline.html
Old 12-21-2021, 06:02 AM

I am very happy with my Tomberlin electric cart. I can go 40 miles on a full charge using lead acid batteries. Mine is a 2019 model. Looks like a little jeep.
Old 12-21-2021, 06:22 AM
Veteran member

buy used first. then decide before you have a great outlay of cash and are unhappy. Lots of carts listed in classified..... Talk of the Villages, Villages News, Nextdoor, Villages buy/sell, Lady Lake Virtual Yard Sale
Old 12-21-2021, 06:49 AM

When lithium's go dead they go dead no warning just done. Golf cart towing insurance places wont even insure them they are always having to tow them. Having invested $6k in lithium batteries for our carts, I wish i didn't, tech is just not there yet, AS far as cart's stick with Yamaha or Club car. We have 5 carts because of rentals and love our electrics, we have one 2016 Yamaha gas, range is great but would rather drive electric any day of the week, that is unless I had to drive to Fenny.
Old 12-21-2021, 06:55 AM

Wehave a 2015 Fuel injected Yamaha, there is noise, but nothing like the former models, no fumes from exhaust or gas like many of the firm models. The latest models are almost as quiet as the electric, no fumes, no gas odor. Electric milage varies from battery type to how much stuff you have running on thr battery, in addition to the terrain traveling over. While we in our rental phase of living in the villages we had gas,and electric carts based on our our landlords ownership. We bought a house eand we bought a gas cart, We travel all over the place, easy to fill up gas tank in multiple locations in a few minutes, try that with an electric cart when you find out low on power. Gas much further round trip and play 18 holes of golf then an electric cart. The new gas golf carts are the bes is gone. Right now a gas Yamaha would take at least 3-4 months to get. We plan on getting one after the current backup in availability. Big backlog right now.
Old 12-21-2021, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by margevicius@gmail.com View Post
New to TV -- coming down in January. In need of a golf cart. Interested in electric -- gas is too noisy and smelly for me and my bride. 2 options on electric - Lithium and lead-based. Lithium is preferred. Which makes/models are good? Initially interested in Evolution, but I realize that others like Club Car and EZ-GO exist. Can others share the good/bad/ugly of their experiences? TIA. And if you have/know of one for sale, drop me a PM, thanks.
If you buy evolution, stay AWAY from village discount. They put in speed governors. 20 MPH does not sound bad until you realize that everybody else is traveling at a higher speed. If you would like to drive a 20 MPH you are welcome to try mine.
Old 12-21-2021, 07:25 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,607 Times in 944 Posts

Try and test drive one, and not just around the block. See if you can get an electric cart for a half day and drive it around.

Test drive both an electric and gas cart. See for yourself. It will be eye opening.
Old 12-21-2021, 07:27 AM
Default Just bought 2022 new STAR lithium powered cart. Beautiful and loads of neat features

Quote:
Originally Posted by margevicius@gmail.com View Post
New to TV -- coming down in January. In need of a golf cart. Interested in electric -- gas is too noisy and smelly for me and my bride. 2 options on electric - Lithium and lead-based. Lithium is preferred. Which makes/models are good? Initially interested in Evolution, but I realize that others like Club Car and EZ-GO exist. Can others share the good/bad/ugly of their experiences? TIA. And if you have/know of one for sale, drop me a PM, thanks.
80 miles on charge. Easy to maintain. Great warranty. They have them at Villages Golf Carts. Talk to Don at Spanish Springs.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, cart, electric, interested, lithium

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.