looking for golf cart advice

Closed Thread
Old 12-21-2021, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedwards2932 View Post
I have an electric Club Car and I can attest to the gas powered being smelly and loud. I don't think you smell or hear it as well if you are driving them. The other issues is almost everyone of the gas powered seem to be set to run 23 mph my electric runs 19 mph so you have to let the speedsters by a lot. One other thing is the pollution and the gas powered may eventually not be allowed:

A gas-powered golf cart with a 10.5 horsepower engine that operates for 2.5 hours each week emits 1474.2 pounds of CO2 each year, according to a study by Princeton University.
2.5 hours x 52 weeks = 130 hours So you are telling me it emits 11.34 pounds of CO2 an hour?

At 20 mph x 130 hours = 2600 miles / 40mpg = 65 gallons How do you get 22.67 pounds of CO2 per gallon?
Old 12-21-2021, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
Depends upon where you live. If you live north of 44, electric will work. Our lead acid electric cart will get about 40 miles before the towing service needs calling. Gas has a much, much farther range. If you live south of 44, the golf courses are so far away, that gas is your only real option for going to LSL and getting back.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news if you live in Southern Oaks.
Ummm…Hate to break it to you but those living north of 44 actually manage to travel south, so wouldn’t a gas cart be recommended for them too? I’d suggest a gas cart to have access to all parts of the villages.
Old 12-21-2021, 08:18 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by margevicius@gmail.com View Post
New to TV -- coming down in January. In need of a golf cart. Interested in electric -- gas is too noisy and smelly for me and my bride. 2 options on electric - Lithium and lead-based. Lithium is preferred. Which makes/models are good? Initially interested in Evolution, but I realize that others like Club Car and EZ-GO exist. Can others share the good/bad/ugly of their experiences? TIA. And if you have/know of one for sale, drop me a PM, thanks.
I’ve always had a gas cart & I never ever smelled gas fumes & the Quiet Tech carts aren’t like the old style, beside the electric carts are great but I would drive my cart sometimes 50 to 70 miles. So just my personal selection I preferred the gas carts. There’s Pro’s & Con’s on both. A tank of gas would get me 240 miles. Electric would get you 45 to maybe 60 miles. (the new ones will)
Old 12-21-2021, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDivine View Post
And then you got to think, Where are they dumping all these batteries after they die???

Old lithium batteries will eventually be collected and wired together to create electricity storage facilities to backup solar/wind plants so we can get power after dark and when the wind isn’t blowing
Old 12-21-2021, 08:30 AM

There is a core charge on lead acid and I believe they recycle the lead. You can argue the Princeton study but I suggest you either do the test yourself or talk with someone qualified to explain the research. Even if the study is not totally accurate you cannot deny there IS pollution from the exhaust of an internal combustion engine,
Old 12-21-2021, 08:59 AM

I just bought a 2022 Star Sirius lithium golf cart from The Villages Golf Carts. They have inventory on hand, which is probably because these are new and a little pricey. I sold a 2010 Yamaha gas. I am enjoying all the advantages of lithium; quiet, no smell, no stops for gas, no battery maintenance. This cart has a built-in charger so you can bring cord with you and plug in anywhere. I played golf last week at Glenview which was a 30 mile round trip, including 18 holes, and the battery was at 50% when I got home.
Old 12-21-2021, 09:04 AM

No smell to gas carts. In fact I never heard of that. If are planning to be out and about in your cart you'll regret getting battery. 80% of cart owners use gas.
Old 12-21-2021, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by margevicius@gmail.com View Post
New to TV -- coming down in January. In need of a golf cart. Interested in electric -- gas is too noisy and smelly for me and my bride. 2 options on electric - Lithium and lead-based. Lithium is preferred. Which makes/models are good? Initially interested in Evolution, but I realize that others like Club Car and EZ-GO exist. Can others share the good/bad/ugly of their experiences? TIA. And if you have/know of one for sale, drop me a PM, thanks.
We have 2 Tomberlin electrics that we love. We have been all over TV and across 44 and back with no problem at all. Battery to spare. The actual range is about 50 miles. Ours aren't the lithium batteries but it's no problem to check the water. The Tomberlin dealer provided a quick filler system that's great. A friend has a Tomberlin lithium and loves it as well. He took it from village of Fenney to Spanish Springs and back. Still had battery. They are quiet and you sit up a little higher than other carts. Ours have power steering and seat belts. Check them out. Luxus Tomerberlin dealership is in Leesburg.
Old 12-21-2021, 09:21 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,943 Times in 3,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
After using my diesel tractor, the two stroke chainsaws, weed wacker, and backpack leaf blower all summer and fall, the gas smell from the Yamaha golf cart in the winter is unnoticeable. It’s all relative.
As we all get older, there is always more gas.
Jus say'n.

Old 12-21-2021, 09:36 AM

I was the first customer to test drive the Yamaha quiet tech when it arrived. My husband had a gas cart, I had electric. I was in the market for a new one. Once you have an electric cart, you still notice the slightly less noise and smell of gas. I bought a new electric. Whenever we went out as a couple my husband insisted we take my cart for quietness. I may be looking into the lithium also. Good luck!
Old 12-21-2021, 10:08 AM

Whatever you decide, arguments both ways, make sure you have the most comfortable seats. Your butts will thank you. El Tigre seats are best, not the makers seats. When electrics charge, they emit a gas. You need to make sure you air out garage in the morning. Golf courses with large electric fleets have to put exhaust fans in the building.
Good Luck!
Old 12-21-2021, 10:34 AM

Come on down to Magnolia Plaza. I will take you to lunch in LSL using my evolution cart. And only use half the battery. Lithium is a game chnager.
Old 12-21-2021, 10:47 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank1975 View Post
No smell to gas carts. In fact I never heard of that. If are planning to be out and about in your cart you'll regret getting battery. 80% of cart owners use gas.
Just follow one in a tunnel. It will change your mind.
Old 12-21-2021, 10:52 AM

Neighbor and I both bought the Evolution from the Villages Discount and have been very happy with them. He drives his all over the place and I have yet to test the range of it, but it will happen... BTW we live in the Hammocks of Fenney so everything is a drive... My question is where do people South of the Turnpike buy gas for their golf cars? I know they are going to build a 7-11 in Magnolia Square and I thought another gas station on 301 and Warm Springs but I haven't seen anything yet.
Old 12-21-2021, 10:54 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
Now do the lithium battery….

‘Lithium-ion technology has downsides — for people and the planet. Extracting the raw materials, mainly lithium and cobalt, requires large quantities of energy and water. Moreover, the work takes place in mines where workers — including children as young as seven — often face unsafe conditions.‘

Battery-grade lithium can also be produced by exposing the material to very high temperatures — a process used in China and Australia — which consumes large quantities of energy.

Cobalt is an important part of a battery’s electrode, but around 70% of this element is found in just one country: the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC). Around 90% of the DRC’s cobalt comes from its industrial mines (90,000 tonnes annually). But in a country where people earn, on average, less than $1,200 annually, the world’s demand for cobalt has attracted thousands of individuals and small businesses, called artisanal miners — and child labour and unsafe working practices are rife.
Oh and don't forget the cost of the lunch and it's effect on the planet to produce for all those miners that ate today!!! JESUS!! So...you want to go into what it takes to produce a gallon of gas??? I really don't think you want to go down the road....I can name 3800 people who died on 9-11 because of our dependence on that gallon of gas....AGAIN, you do not want to go down that road.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, cart, electric, interested, lithium

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.