looking for golf cart advice

Closed Thread
Old 12-23-2021, 02:25 PM

If the lithium batteries would go 125 miles on a charge to offset the degradation on charging capacity, I'd buy lithium. Even Teslas lose 10% of their range and become more finicky with charging by 100,000 miles.

IMO, only Tesla will survive in the EV world. The other Johnny-Come-Latelys are going to fail because because batteries are still not advanced enough to replace over 100 years of ICE know-how.

I have a Yamaha on order and I know I won't need to worry about the things battery getting thin on me on several levels.

I have two electric bike's and did own an electric skateboard (lol).
Old 12-23-2021, 02:38 PM
Location: Hunsville, AL/Pittsford,NY/Bedford, NH/Castle Rock, CO, Lawndale&Ft MacArthur,CA/Alexandria,VA etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by margevicius@gmail.com View Post
New to TV -- coming down in January. In need of a golf cart. Interested in electric -- gas is too noisy and smelly for me and my bride. 2 options on electric - Lithium and lead-based. Lithium is preferred. Which makes/models are good? Initially interested in Evolution, but I realize that others like Club Car and EZ-GO exist. Can others share the good/bad/ugly of their experiences? TIA. And if you have/know of one for sale, drop me a PM, thanks.
Evolution and very happy. Lithium and hate those stinky gas carts. Especially in the tunnels
Old 12-24-2021, 01:06 PM

There is the "cute" factor that also must be considered, sooooo, we bought an electric Yesteryear, which uses 6 Trojan batteries that last approx. 5 years, cost was $750, might be higher now, and quiet (unless you need to use the adorable, giggle, horn)
Old 12-24-2021, 02:15 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,606 Times in 943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
I totally agree with you but if someone has an electric cart there’s no way we’ll convince them otherwise. Just like like us gas cart owners. The only thing electric cart owners don’t tell you how much to replace their batteries, I’m sure they’ll say something real low. But I say drive what you want, they’re both good. Even the dealer will tell you gas carts are better, but buy what you want! My first gas cart I had, had 26, 387 miles on it when I traded it.
Using the internet to convince an electric cart owner that gas is superior or vice versa is like using the internet to argue politics.
No one is changing their mind because of an internet post.
Old 12-25-2021, 09:07 AM
Default Lithium on order...6 mos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by margevicius@gmail.com View Post
New to TV -- coming down in January. In need of a golf cart. Interested in electric -- gas is too noisy and smelly for me and my bride. 2 options on electric - Lithium and lead-based. Lithium is preferred. Which makes/models are good? Initially interested in Evolution, but I realize that others like Club Car and EZ-GO exist. Can others share the good/bad/ugly of their experiences? TIA. And if you have/know of one for sale, drop me a PM, thanks.
We ordered a lithium EZ Go from Villages golf cars in Brownwood early October. It should be here end of March or early April. We got a loaner after 2 months but they are ending that program. We had been interested in the Star Car but the steering is very hard to turn, glove compartment hard to open, not a very nice dash board compared to the EZ Go. The welding is rough and messy at the joints...reminded me of farm equipment....we ruled out gas due to noise, smell, and nuisance of buying gas, and maintaining. Electric was ruled out as we go north for a month or more and batteries can dry out. We will enjoy our EZ Go!
Old 12-25-2021, 11:46 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj1040 View Post
We ordered a lithium EZ Go from Villages golf cars in Brownwood early October. It should be here end of March or early April. We got a loaner after 2 months but they are ending that program. We had been interested in the Star Car but the steering is very hard to turn, glove compartment hard to open, not a very nice dash board compared to the EZ Go. The welding is rough and messy at the joints...reminded me of farm equipment....we ruled out gas due to noise, smell, and nuisance of buying gas, and maintaining. Electric was ruled out as we go north for a month or more and batteries can dry out. We will enjoy our EZ Go!
We leave our lead-acid battery cart in our garage for 6 months over the Summer. A friend comes in to plug the charger in once a month. Never needed to add water to the batteries during this period. Lithium is great, but much more expensive at this point.
Old 12-26-2021, 01:23 AM
Gold member

EZGO Elite or Star Sirius. The EZGO 4.2 has a range of about 60 miles and charges at about 10 miles for every hour. The Star Sirius lithium has a range of about 80 miles and charges about the same speed. Both are about $18K at the villages golf cars. I think the Star is a better buy but both are going to be reliable for at least 10 years. With EZGO, all you do is replace the tires when they wear out and just plug it in the wall every night. No brake pads or oil changes. Zero maintenance. I see a lot of Evolution carts south of 44. I don't really trust the longevity of the lithium pack like I do with EZGO and Star. Lithium battery degradation is far less than with lead-acid. Your EZGO will degrade linearly to about 50 miles of range over about 10 years. You don't need to keep lithium batteries fully charged like lead-acid but ideally you should store lithium batteries at about 50% if you are away for more than one month. Lithium batteries don't like to sit fully charged for long periods of time. I am using my neighbors EZGO Elite whilst she is away for the holidays. It is an excellent cart but is does feel a bit tippy when cornering. It is higher off the ground than others. The Star cart has a bit more giddy up.

Yamaha will be coming out with their lithium cart Spring of 2022. Yamaha website states "Coming Soon".

For all the fear-ridden television watchers - CO2 is plantfood...it makes plants green.

Can someone explain to me in scientific terms why lithium batteries are not recyclable? LiFePO4 or NCM. Lead-acid batteries are 99% recyclable.

Last edited by MorTech; 12-26-2021 at 02:02 AM.
Old 12-26-2021, 06:44 AM
Gold member

When you oxidize a hydrocarbon, it gains weight - You are adding oxygen. The specific energy of a hydrocarbon is actually zero until you add oxygen.

HC + O2 -> H2O + CO2 (aka, plantfood)

Burning 6.3 pounds of gasoline produces 20 pounds of carbon dioxide.
Burning 6.3 pounds of gasoline produces 8.3 pounds of water.
Old 12-28-2021, 10:40 PM
Default ez go lithium

live in St Catherines, Meggison and Morse , south of 44.
have driven to amderwood and oakliegh, executive courses, then to denny’s for dinner, then home

45 miles round trip, plenty of battery left
ez go elite litium 120ah battery

easy 50-55 mile range
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	49076659-AC2F-4482-BD23-9A222736ADEE.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	92033  
Old 12-28-2021, 10:45 PM

I have a star lithium. Can't imagine having a gas cart. Some bugs since it brand new like the clock doesn't work yet. They are working on a clock fix. Star parts are available only through South Carolina and originally sourced through Shanghai. But 1 year bumper to bumper fixes and 5 years warranty on the battery. Battery around maybe $4000 now. 70-80 miles on a 4 hour full charge.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, cart, electric, interested, lithium

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.