Maximum dimensions for a Golf Car for the MMPs

Old 05-03-2024, 03:14 PM
Smile Maximum dimensions for a Golf Car for the MMPs

I've read several posts that talk about height under which a golf car needs to be to pass through the tunnels, and I've heard talk about 'width' but I've yet to see anything that helps define what the max width is for some sections of the MMPs.

For instance, I've heard that the bridge over LSL is exceptionally narrow, or that some Yamaha cars can have issues. I've also seen some of the newer "NEV's" on sale and note that these are wider than a normal 48-55" width (Wink Mark I for instance is about 61"). I do not yet have a Golf Car and will be looking to purchase.

My question is this: Since the MMPs are really designed for Golf Carts, what's the maximum desirable width for one of these so that I don't buy something I like only to have it be too wide or be on the lookout for side-scraping in one of these tight areas (tunnels, LSL bridge, etc).

Anyone have any advice so I'm not the guy people complain about with the that's way too big and shouldn't be on the MMP?
I'd have to believe that the picture when you enter the forum must really be stretching is as oversized. All input appreciated, and thanks!

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...orum/156.jpg?9

Last edited by raggedy-andy; 05-03-2024 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Adding link.
Old 05-03-2024, 06:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,281 Times in 2,294 Posts

IMHO, I would use the largest dimensions (height, width) of the biggest golf cart suppliers (Yamaha, Club, Columbia, etc.) and do my very best to not exceed these. While in many cases, a wider, or higher golf cart will not be a problem there are locations where exceeding these may cause problems. I have never seen a document with stated dimensions for golf carts, only speed limit (not greater than 20 mph), but I have had some close calls with wider than average ones, especially on the Morse Bridge, in one case the driver's side mirror was damaged.

I appreciate you asking and looking for insight into this before purchasing. The other item to consider is if you will be using this for golfing, tires and possibly weight could be an issue.
Old 05-03-2024, 07:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,230 Times in 2,812 Posts

Not sure of maximum dimensions, but why push it. Stick with a standard sized Yamaha, Club Car or EZ Go and you’ll be all good. Definitely avoid something like those Polaris GEMs, those things take up more than half the lane going over the Morse Bridge.
Old 05-03-2024, 09:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,604 Times in 3,149 Posts

And don't swap out for "fat tires." Get a body and chassis that's standard for the brand. You could use a Yamaha, EZ-Go, or Club Car, as your basis for comparison with any other brand. If the one you're looking at is wider than any of those three, it's probably wider than you'll be comfortable with going over some of the bridges (especially the original to/from the Historic Section to Spanish Springs).
Old 05-04-2024, 02:52 AM
Gold member

If you stay in TV south of the turnpike, you will be able to drive a small bus thru those tunnels

What's the width of the golf car garages?
Old 05-07-2024, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Not sure of maximum dimensions, but why push it. Stick with a standard sized Yamaha, Club Car or EZ Go and you’ll be all good. Definitely avoid something like those Polaris GEMs, those things take up more than half the lane going over the Morse Bridge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
And don't swap out for "fat tires." Get a body and chassis that's standard for the brand. You could use a Yamaha, EZ-Go, or Club Car, as your basis for comparison with any other brand. If the one you're looking at is wider than any of those three, it's probably wider than you'll be comfortable with going over some of the bridges (especially the original to/from the Historic Section to Spanish Springs).
I appreciate everyone's input. Thank you.

The idea is that I don't mind getting a Club Car/EZ-Go/Yamaha in some fashion. But like everyone else in TV, y'all want some personalization to your vehicle rather than the stock rig that you see and have seen many times over. There's a reason why places like Streetrods exist.

The comparative basis for widths is a good thought. But suppose I do want something like an Atomic cart or a GEM that might be a certain width. That's where a measurement like the one that exists for the tunnels would be helpful for width to ensure I'm not that guy who comes across the Morse bridge and forces people hard to one side to get across. A good measurement could provide a useful guideline for all of the other EVs that are now coming out. Someone will try to buy one and likely already has with a result that isn't or wasn't desirable. Many of the Wink or Kandi or other vehicles that have come out are well under the height limit for tunnels, but the bigger question is whether they're running afoul or the width for their lane on the MMPs.

And for the other question asked...I'm not a golfing guy just yet, so the vehicle for me and the wife would be more for getting around the area and to the squares as well as the occasional jaunt to Publix or Sprouts or the like. Hoping that gives some a perspective on what buyers might be seeking as the markets change. Again, thanks for all the valuable inout.
Old 05-08-2024, 08:31 AM

Like most other responders have indicated, for most of The Villages a little wider than the normal cart would be fine. But I can think of at least two or three spots where it is already really close for a standard size cart. One of those is the LSL bridge where there is a concrete curb so carts can't move over any further to allow a wide cart to pass. I've seen a number of cases on that bridge where side view mirrors have been hit by passing carts. Another is the Historic Side bridge. Again, side walls so carts can't move over any further. Many of us actually pull in our side mirrors when crossing that bridge. I know it is tempting to get some of the newer style carts out there, but you may occasionally run into situations where that cart is a major hindrance.

I don't know if I want to stop on the LSL bridge and get a tape measure out to find the width, but some of the TOTV contributors might. But also consider that the published width of a cart probably won't include the dimension of external side view mirrors, both yours and on coming carts. Make sure you factor that dimension into your investigation. It's not just the wheel or body width that you have to consider.
Old 05-08-2024, 08:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,058 Times in 1,764 Posts

Why would you buy yourself unnecessary headache? You are handicapping yourself, in my opinion. You don’t notice comfort level increasing in a slightly wider or taller cart, but driving it around some places will be a problem. Unless you never want to take your cart to when your friends go further north to restaurants or golfing etc.
Old 05-08-2024, 12:33 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Why would you buy yourself unnecessary headache? You are handicapping yourself, in my opinion. You don’t notice comfort level increasing in a slightly wider or taller cart, but driving it around some places will be a problem. Unless you never want to take your cart to when your friends go further north to restaurants or golfing etc.
Thats an easy one... You can get an Evolution D5 for about $11,500 with a 205 AH battery that gives you 80 miles of range. It is a little taller and about 5" wider than a yamaha- more comfortable because of it. Half the price and no gas smell...I have a quietech so don't tell me I am wrong - my wife complains about the smell.
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 05-08-2024, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post
Thats an easy one... You can get an Evolution D5 for about $11,500 with a 205 AH battery that gives you 80 miles of range. It is a little taller and about 5" wider than a yamaha- more comfortable because of it. Half the price and no gas smell...I have a quietech so don't tell me I am wrong - my wife complains about the smell.
A Green Bay fan and wise to the ways of golf cart foo, you are my new favorite person on totv.

Tags
golf, width, car, mmps, lsl

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.