moving the batteries around

Closed Thread
Old 02-03-2012, 01:21 PM
Default moving the batteries around

some of the cart's electrical items (lights, horn etc.) are wired into just two of the eight batteries, presumably because they need 12v rather than 48v

over time, then, these two batteries will "wear out" more quickly than the other six

does it make sense to switch the batteries around so they all take turns?

thank you
Old 02-03-2012, 01:33 PM

the preferable solution is to add a 48V to 12V convertor which takes power from the full set of batteries. Otherwise, your 2 batteries running the accessories will wear down faster and, on some carts, trick the computer into thinking that your overall charge is at the level of the weakest batteries.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybermuda View Post
some of the cart's electrical items (lights, horn etc.) are wired into just two of the eight batteries, presumably because they need 12v rather than 48v

over time, then, these two batteries will "wear out" more quickly than the other six

does it make sense to switch the batteries around so they all take turns?

thank you
Compared to the stress and major load that the batteries are put under when the golf cart motor is running, the additional load on two of those batteries for lights and horn are de minimis. It's much more important to make sure that the batteries are well maintained, i.e water level and state of charge.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canabarrybarb View Post
the preferable solution is to add a 48V to 12V convertor which takes power from the full set of batteries. Otherwise, your 2 batteries running the accessories will wear down faster and, on some carts, trick the computer into thinking that your overall charge is at the level of the weakest batteries.
That's what I did,...my 16 to 12 converter on my Club Car died so I found a 48 volt to 12 volt converter online. I can say from personal experience it works better than the 16 to 12 did. When the batteries would get a little discharged with the original one the lights would severely dim or cut out,....not any more.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.