Must Have Accessories for a First Time Buyer

Old 11-07-2023, 08:29 AM

I visited Villages Discount Golf Carts yesterday and was very impressed with their stock - but I am confused about the difference in the price of different carts. We saw a 2017 Yamaha gas that was loaded for about $14,000 and then another 2022 for abut $19,000. The 2017 was quiet as the newest carts and comes with a lifetime drivetrain warranty.

They say everything on the cart is brand new except for the frame and the drivetrain. They put in new battery, belts, windshield, etc.

If everything on the cart is brand new except for the drivetrain and they give a lifetime warranty on the drivetrain, what are the negatives of getting the older cart?
Old 11-07-2023, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeCee Dubya View Post
Fellow Villagers,

Looking for informed advice from veteran golf cart owners.

So I’m pretty much sold on a late model Yamaha gas cart. And leaning towards buying from The Villages Golf Cars.

Please discuss accessories which you consider “must haves” - ones that really make the golf cart experience more comfortable or practical or safer.

Thanks in advance,
Doug
Take a nice drive to Webster and buy a Yamaha from Country Power. You'll get the best price in the area and great service. CP has an employee in The Villages most every day to service carts and you'll get faster service than from The Villages Golf Cars. The savings on the initial price are substantial. Before you buy anything but a Yamaha, consider that you never see EZGO's, Club Cars, or another brand that are "refreshed" or "rebuilt" and resold. Only Yamaha carts will "go the distance".

You'll want:

self-cancelling turn signals
seat belts (and be certain to use them)
light strips on the sides and front (have them wired into the ignition so they are on when the cart is running-a great safety feature.
upgraded seats (avoid the bucket seats and buy the upgraded bench. Things you place on the buckets fall in the gap between the buckets)
mirrors that have turn signal arrows. Be certain to have the mirrors mounted at a height that allows all expected drivers to see over them (or even under them).
nice aluminum wheels (the factory wheels make it the golf cart version of a police car)
ice chest
sand bottle (one on each side of the cart is a convenience)
floor mat
gas gauge
speedometer
dash cover (the lockable glove boxes provide some security for your phone, sunglasses, or a laser rangefinder)

Unique ignition key or a second switch as a lock-out (many stock keys are the same)

If you will be taking your cart to Walmart, Publix, Lowes, BJ's, or leaving it in any large parking lot for any period of time, have the dealer install a "brake lock" so that your cart cannot be towed away and stolen. If you want to DIY, drill a hole through the floor and brake pedal, install an eye-bolt in the floor and use a padlock to connect the two.

If you are a golfer and will be in and out of the cart a lot, don't buy sliding doors (Curtis Cab), as they restrict the opening and are a pain.

Clear windshields are nice. Tinted windshields don't help a lot in the daytime and, at night, they limit what you can see.

Buy a spray can of PLEXIS and use it to clean the windshield from the first day. When plastic windshields are not carefully cleaned, lots of scratches and swirls will develop, making it very hard to see through at night when facing oncoming headlights.

Be kind to other drivers and DO NOT install an auxiliary light bar that blinds oncoming drivers. If there is one thing that should be outlawed, it is unfocused LED lightbars.

Welcome to The Villages and enjoy driving your cart to most everywhere you will go. I still get a smile on my face every time I see a line of 100+ carts at the town squares.
Old 11-07-2023, 09:57 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cneigoot View Post
totally where the future is going.
I'm impressed you have a working crystal ball.
Old 11-07-2023, 10:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,481 Times in 2,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5 View Post
I visited Villages Discount Golf Carts yesterday and was very impressed with their stock - but I am confused about the difference in the price of different carts. We saw a 2017 Yamaha gas that was loaded for about $14,000 and then another 2022 for abut $19,000. The 2017 was quiet as the newest carts and comes with a lifetime drivetrain warranty.

They say everything on the cart is brand new except for the frame and the drivetrain. They put in new battery, belts, windshield, etc.

If everything on the cart is brand new except for the drivetrain and they give a lifetime warranty on the drivetrain, what are the negatives of getting the older cart?
Look closely at that lifetime warranty, mine was not nearly as generous. On the other hand, I paid only slightly more for a one year old 2019 cart than you are being quoted for a six year old 2017. Perhaps they are rolling the cost of a generous warranty into the price of the cart.

I am happy with the cart I purchased from them over three years ago.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 11-07-2023, 10:04 AM
Gold member

If your wife is short is height get a adjustable front seat. Many carts do not have them. Sure beats a block of wood or piece of triangle plastic on the pedal that many owners use.
Old 11-07-2023, 10:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,241 Times in 2,820 Posts

A well hidden kill switch is another important feature on a highly desirable newer Yamaha Quiet tech cart.
Old 11-07-2023, 10:49 AM

Disagree completely. Have had both. Towed home twice with the electric. Have a 2014 Yamaha gas that I maintain yearly. The only things replaced have been the battery, a muffler, and a drive belt. It is fuel injected and has the redesigned gas tank so there is no odor. The newer quiettechs are even better than mine.
Old 11-07-2023, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeCee Dubya View Post
Fellow Villagers,

Looking for informed advice from veteran golf cart owners.

So I’m pretty much sold on a late model Yamaha gas cart. And leaning towards buying from The Villages Golf Cars.

Please discuss accessories which you consider “must haves” - ones that really make the golf cart experience more comfortable or practical or safer.

Thanks in advance,
Doug
In addition to what others have listed....a sound system.....a blue tooth speaker is ok, but an auto stereo radio/USB/SAT/BT/AM-FM will allow more versatile playlist without using up your phone battery and memory.
Old 11-07-2023, 12:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,923 Times in 1,541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
Doubt gas carts are a thing of the past in TV. A lot of people in TV like the high range of the gas carts.
The problem with gas cars is you can smell them as they go by you on the street. This shows that they are polluting the environment, which is CAUSING Global Warming. That is why this summer was HOTTER than normal and the next 8 years are predicted to be hotter than normal. That is why we are currently being attacked by illegals at our southern US border. All this AND MORE can be stopped if about 30% of new Golf Cart and cars and trucks were ELECTRIC. ALL the bad things associated with GAS Golf Carts canNOT be justified "because they have greater range" (which most people never use). Going long distances in a golf cart will give you a headache from the exhaust pollution and the bumps and the loud noise.
.....In a few years, better batteries will be developed and the range of an E-golf cart will be equal to a gas golf cart.
........Gas golf carts have SO MANY disadvantages compared to E-golf carts, that I am just APPEALING to potential buyers to research the BIG PICTURE before making a choice of gas or electric - it is NOT some small insignificant choice - the health of the EARTH'S air and water (coral reefs) depends on your choice!
Old 11-07-2023, 12:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,923 Times in 1,541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy o View Post
Original post did not ask to open gas vs electric discussions. But since you wanted to spout the electric advantage please be honest. Yes the dry weight of an electric cart is less than a gas cart, but once you add the batteries electric carts weigh far more than a gas cart. The only person who can drive a dry weight cart is Fred Flintstone.
The lower center of gravity of the E-cart is very important to the decision of electric vs gas. Accessories are important for comfort and convenience, but electric vs gas is the overwhelmingly most IMPORTANT decision to be made about Golf Carts (and bikes, motorcycles and larger vehicles). It is all one BIG CONCEPT.
Old 11-07-2023, 01:44 PM

Buy NEW from Country Village Power Equipment in Webster Florida. BEST PLACE TO PURCHASE A GOLF CART!
Save yourself some money.
Old 11-08-2023, 02:52 PM

We're new here and wanted to make sure the cart was everything we'd need. And as i only intend to buy ONE new (may need others in the future) there was some splurging. I have a bad back so my wife INSISTED we get the high end bucket seats. Using it for most of our in village travel, we have already racked up 650 miles on it in just 3 months. Bottomline "I'd do it again" is spend the extra on the seats! Love them
Old 11-11-2023, 12:06 PM
Default Gas vs electric

Gas 250 miles. Electric 60 miles. Maybe. The villages is now 30 square miles and getting bigger. I was with my neighbor in his electric cart. On the golf course. We hit the transition between the grass and cart path. Pretty good bump. His cart died on the spot. Locked up. Could not even push it in neutral. Tow guy came and inserted a plug into an electric socket under the dash that put the cart in neutral. We pushed the electric cart to the street and onto the tow truck. The shop looked at it and said the repair is so expensive it’s not worth it to have repaired. The owner then went and bought a new GAS cart. So apparently he did not think much of the electric cart and switched to gas. Just fyi.
I like my gas cart. Don’t have to worry about charging it every day. Fast. Quiet. Etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
Gas cart...a really bad decision but the service people will love you because of all those parts to maintain and replace compared to almost none on electric carts. I have seen countless gas carts broken down along the MMPs but never an electric one. Smelly, noisy, polluting, having to go to a service station for gas...ugh! I can run all day as far as I want in my electric cart, simply plug it in at night and its ready for the next day. No oil to check, fuel tank to top off, no belts, hoses & filters to replace, no finicky injectors or exhaust system..and with my lightweight Lithium batteries my cart weighs half as much as a gas cart. Gas engines are going the way of the dinosaur & the sooner the better.
Old 11-11-2023, 08:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,350 Times in 4,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLonzo View Post
I'm reading this thread with interest as I'm looking for golf cart accessories for my cart. I 'inherited' a late model Yamaha Drive 2 (came with the house), clean and low mileage, but it's a stripped down version. It has no side view mirrors, no zipper enclosure, no glove box doors or lockable storage, and a tear in the front seat upholstery, all of which I'd like to add on or fix. It's been a chore in itself trying to find a golf cart service provider who charges a reasonable price to fit me into their schedule! So yes, I'd recommend negotiating your accessories with the original purchase rather than adding on after market.

Meanwhile, any recommendations for mobile golf cart service?
I use Willie's. I can usually schedule a routing service a week or two out... About $100...

-Tom Petty
Old 11-11-2023, 08:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,350 Times in 4,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cneigoot View Post
Totally agree with this poster. I bought lithium-ion electric cart when I moved here two years ago. It is called evolution golf carts. In 2 years I have had no problems with it and have over 5,000 miles on it. You'll notice going into tunnels the smell lingering from gas carts or if you get behind one of the older ones spewing smoke and smelling bad you will appreciate your electric cart. Also, you will be able to have a conversation with someone next to you without yelling in their ear. Quiet, dependable and totally where the future is going. If you decide on electric, make sure your Lithium-ion batteries are at least 180 amp hours or more. I can get 80 miles on my golf cart in a day but where am I going to drive a golf cart 80 miles in one day? LOL best of luck to you
I've never seen a golf cart "spewing smoke" and the newer (2017 and later) QuieTechs are much quieter than the older carts and having a conversation is not an issue. No "yelling in anyone's ear" is necessary...

-Tom Petty

Tags
golf, cart, accessories, haves”, “must

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.