Must Have Accessories for a First Time Buyer

Old 11-05-2023, 01:29 PM
Default Must Have Accessories for a First Time Buyer

Fellow Villagers,

Looking for informed advice from veteran golf cart owners.

So I’m pretty much sold on a late model Yamaha gas cart. And leaning towards buying from The Villages Golf Cars.

Please discuss accessories which you consider “must haves” - ones that really make the golf cart experience more comfortable or practical or safer.

Thanks in advance,
Doug
Old 11-05-2023, 01:34 PM

Self-canceling turn signals.
Old 11-05-2023, 01:34 PM

Upgraded seats
Old 11-05-2023, 01:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

There are the standard accessories: curtains, self-canceling turn signals, and some form of spedometer/odometer.
Some people won't buy a cart without seat belts - we have one with and one without.
If you are like us you will be spending a lot of time in the cart so splurge for a nicer seat.
The only other accessory from the dealer that we have is a shelf in the front above the rear-view mirror. It cannot hold much weight but is very convenient for holding mail, an umbrella, or sunglasses.

After the cart was delivered we purchased a bag for groceries that attaches in the back and a JBL Flip 6. The Flip 6 is a bluetooth speaker that fits nicely in a cup holder.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 11-05-2023, 03:04 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,640 Times in 444 Posts

I agree whole-heartedly that self-canceling turn signals and comfortable, upgraded seats are two essential upgrades.
Old 11-05-2023, 03:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

IMHO,
Seat Belts
Self-canceling turn signals
Depending on your physical size, alternate seats
Additional side lights are nice for visibility
Additional front turn signal lights (the factory ones and are very weak and hard to see)
If you get the optional fold down rear facing seat, get additional brake/turn signals as the normal ones are blocked when the floor is raised. Also consider the extended roof for the rear passengers.
A GPS based speedometer with odometer function is very nice.
A fuel gauge is also very nice.
Side curtains (an enclosure) is needed for foul weather and colder temperatures.

There are other items, but these can easily be added later.
Old 11-05-2023, 05:09 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,550 Times in 418 Posts

Not sure why you're leaning toward Villages Golf Cars when you could buy a lightly used one much cheaper from an individual. With the money you save, you could add a myriad of extras. Plus, you'll probably find one that has everything you need.
Old 11-05-2023, 06:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,609 Times in 946 Posts

Get the additional side light strips.

The list above is pretty good.

Villages Golf Carts has all the additions you need.
I’ve searched online and all over amazon for things to add - not much left to add.
Old 11-05-2023, 07:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,088 Times in 2,749 Posts

Seat upgrade, seat belts, clear folding windshield, led headlights, roll up rain enclosure with soft touch snaps, overhead storage, blinker indicator lights/beeper, and good rear view mirrors.
Old 11-05-2023, 09:08 PM
Thanked 1,120 Times in 246 Posts

Gas cart...a really bad decision but the service people will love you because of all those parts to maintain and replace compared to almost none on electric carts. I have seen countless gas carts broken down along the MMPs but never an electric one. Smelly, noisy, polluting, having to go to a service station for gas...ugh! I can run all day as far as I want in my electric cart, simply plug it in at night and its ready for the next day. No oil to check, fuel tank to top off, no belts, hoses & filters to replace, no finicky injectors or exhaust system..and with my lightweight Lithium batteries my cart weighs half as much as a gas cart. Gas engines are going the way of the dinosaur & the sooner the better.
Old 11-05-2023, 09:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,523 Times in 3,109 Posts

I'd pick a sunbrella, seat belts, a removable lumbar pillow (because I'm too short to press on the gas without one and those pedal extenders are HORRIBLE).

Side mirrors on the inside of the side walls instead of the outside of them (outside ones create blind spots - I almost hit some lady walking her dog across the golf cart path at the dog park because the mirror obscured her completely)
A device thing on top of the steering wheel that shows the gas level, battery usage, mileage, speed, time, and whatever else those things do.
A mesh bag for the back (I don't play golf but I do go grocery shopping).

I don't need self-cancelling turn signals because I got in the habit of shutting them off manually when I turn. I now also do that in my car, even though it is self-cancelling.
Old 11-06-2023, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
Gas cart...a really bad decision but the service people will love you because of all those parts to maintain and replace compared to almost none on electric carts. I have seen countless gas carts broken down along the MMPs but never an electric one. Smelly, noisy, polluting, having to go to a service station for gas...ugh! I can run all day as far as I want in my electric cart, simply plug it in at night and its ready for the next day. No oil to check, fuel tank to top off, no belts, hoses & filters to replace, no finicky injectors or exhaust system..and with my lightweight Lithium batteries my cart weighs half as much as a gas cart. Gas engines are going the way of the dinosaur & the sooner the better.
You forgot to mention that it is also quieter and has faster acceleration especially coming up the hills from the tunnels. Our
Star EV cart also has much more headroom and being taller that is also a welcome advantage.
Old 11-06-2023, 05:31 AM

The newer Yamaha quiet drive 2 carts don’t smell, are not loud, are not expensive to work on. All carts have brakes, tires, suspensions, etc that will need to be worked on. Gas cart owners will not need to buy a set of lithium batteries every 5-8 years at an expense of up to $4000, plus disposal fee of toxic waste of the old battery. There are many gas stations in around the villages so if a gas golf cart is running low, he can top off at any 1 of them. Where are there charging stations for golf carts in case you driven to far or forgot to plug it in the night before. Also, if you didn’t get the extended range lithium battery option, you couldn’t go from fenney to Buena Vista and 466 to play golf and then drive back home. My gas cart, I could do this multiple times on 1 tank of gas.
Accessories:
Better seats
Shelf above windshield, this holds speakers, towels, blankets, etc
Grocery bag
Cooler
Computer on steering wheel
Led light package
If you play golf, the sand bottle
Tinted front windshield
And finally the best accessory: a screen so bugs don’t hit you in the face. Get 1 at any of the week night markets at a square
Old 11-06-2023, 05:36 AM
Veteran member

if gas.....fuel gauge monitor, seat belts, self cancelling turn signals, upgraded seats ( with arm rests). I went to the villages discount golf carts on 466 ( next to Birdies Golf) NOT the villages golf carts. Some of the other items mentioned are not necessarily must haves in my opinion. But, I was given a sand bottle, cooler chest, screen for the windshield with my purchase. I also got a speedometer, odometer also included, rear view mirror and big side mirrors. I was offered the above the windshield shelf, but declined because it is a very tight fit. My fingers could hardly get in it to retrieve anything. I bought a stick on digital clock from Walmart.

Last edited by bowlingal; 11-06-2023 at 05:42 AM.
Old 11-06-2023, 06:19 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,609 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeneevan View Post
Our Star EV cart also has much more headroom and being taller that is also a welcome advantage.
I’m 6’5” and my have plenty of room in my Yamaha gas cart.

Tags
golf, cart, accessories, haves”, “must

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.