Must Have Accessories for a First Time Buyer

Old 11-06-2023, 08:33 AM

Big ol' cooler to hold more beer and a mesh 'laundry' bag where the clubs go to hold more 12 packs!
Old 11-06-2023, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeCee Dubya View Post
Fellow Villagers,

Looking for informed advice from veteran golf cart owners.

So I’m pretty much sold on a late model Yamaha gas cart. And leaning towards buying from The Villages Golf Cars.

Please discuss accessories which you consider “must haves” - ones that really make the golf cart experience more comfortable or practical or safer.

Thanks in advance,
Doug
Please dont get a “monster bright” light on front of cart. Very challenging to oncoming drivers while driving at night and especially rainy night.
Old 11-06-2023, 08:45 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
I don’t want to see anyone in The Villages in a Speedo.
Old 11-06-2023, 08:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Fellow Villagers,

So I’m pretty much sold on a late model Yamaha gas cart. And leaning towards buying from The Villages Golf Cars.

Please discuss accessories which you consider “must haves” - ones that really make the golf cart experience more comfortable or practical or safer.

Thanks in advance,
Doug
If you are planning to use your cart for short trips (as most people do) you might consider buying an Electric cart, which gives you certain advantages - quieter, no need to fill the tank with gas, greater reliability as electric motors are just about indestructible, lower center of gravity (so you don't roll over on a hill or curve), better acceleration, and better deceleration.
.......If you HAVE to get a noisy, smelly, gas burner, then the newer Yamaha is the best. If you buy from a dealer outside of The Villages, then you will get a better deal. The dealers INSIDE The Villages know that they have a SOMEWHAT captive audience.

Last edited by jimjamuser; 11-06-2023 at 09:12 AM. Reason: add a sentence
Old 11-06-2023, 09:07 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,195 Times in 761 Posts

Seat belts and a fuel gauge.
Old 11-06-2023, 09:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,519 Times in 3,108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnsbill View Post
you should look around and see if you can find a cart with either a Sleekline or Curtis cab - much easier than rolling curtains up and down - think rolling down the curtains in an unexpected T-Storm and you kinda have a choice of how much wind blows thru the cart
Curtis Cabs look and feel so cheap and rickety. When it's windy, if they're open, they kinda smack around against the back of the cart. Also because they open away from the cart, going over the golf cart bridges can be perilous. Especially if someone else with an open curtis cab is passing you from the other direction. Adding one to a "new build" would set a buyer back around $5000. On top of what they're already paying for the golf cart.

Sleekline look and feel more secure but meh. It's not a must have. It'll also cost a couple thousand bucks.

A Sunbrella is a common cover, track-style slides into tracks on the roof and snaps at the base of the cart's sides. It rolls up when not in use, and has zippers inside and out so you can secure it when you drive, and "open the door" to get out, and then zip it back up once you're out to keep the rain out. They're under $1000 but keeping them clean is a little more tricky and you have to make sure the snaps aren't too tight or it'll eventually rip.
Old 11-06-2023, 09:19 AM

I'm reading this thread with interest as I'm looking for golf cart accessories for my cart. I 'inherited' a late model Yamaha Drive 2 (came with the house), clean and low mileage, but it's a stripped down version. It has no side view mirrors, no zipper enclosure, no glove box doors or lockable storage, and a tear in the front seat upholstery, all of which I'd like to add on or fix. It's been a chore in itself trying to find a golf cart service provider who charges a reasonable price to fit me into their schedule! So yes, I'd recommend negotiating your accessories with the original purchase rather than adding on after market.

Meanwhile, any recommendations for mobile golf cart service?
Old 11-06-2023, 09:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeneevan View Post
You forgot to mention that it is also quieter and has faster acceleration especially coming up the hills from the tunnels. Our
Star EV cart also has much more headroom and being taller that is also a welcome advantage.
Also, electric carts have a lower center of gravity so they roll over less. That also helps acceleration and braking. And it is good to AGAIN mention that E-vehicles pollute much less than gas so when enough people buy E-vehicles we will BEGIN to reverse Global Warming and the bad effects on Florida such as bigger hurricanes and dying coral reefs.
Old 11-06-2023, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLonzo View Post
I'm reading this thread with interest as I'm looking for golf cart accessories for my cart. I 'inherited' a late model Yamaha Drive 2 (came with the house), clean and low mileage, but it's a stripped down version. It has no side view mirrors, no zipper enclosure, no glove box doors or lockable storage, and a tear in the front seat upholstery, all of which I'd like to add on or fix. It's been a chore in itself trying to find a golf cart service provider who charges a reasonable price to fit me into their schedule! So yes, I'd recommend negotiating your accessories with the original purchase rather than adding on after market.

Meanwhile, any recommendations for mobile golf cart service?
Scott at Titan Golf Cart South - 352 348-7381
Old 11-06-2023, 12:34 PM

Self-cancelling turn signals, seats belts, dual beam headlights, LED light package, shelf above windshield, windshield screen, gas gauge, speedometer, charger for cell phone, bluetooth speaker, grocery bag, side enclosures, and the all-important custom seats.

Check out the Tomberlin electric golf cart. It is a bit more expensive but has some great features. I would not buy a used electric because you cannot be sure about the batteries and they are costly. A gas golf cart with good maintenance can be viable for 15-20 years.

My wife is much shorter so we have dual bucket seats with separate independent adjustment forward-back, lumbar, reclining and arm rests. Unfortunately, the company went out of business. If you search though, you can find some that are close to the same. Be prepared, mine were $2500, 7 years ago.

Also, seat belts should be mandatory. Don't let anybody convince you that you can leap from the cart. I was hit by a car and it happened so fast that I didn't have time to think about jumping. Also, the car hit on the driver's side and I would have had to slide across to get out. The police investigators were convinced that the seat belts saved my life. There are vendors who come to your house to install seat belts.
Old 11-06-2023, 12:55 PM
Default Golf cart must haves

Quote:
Fellow Villagers,

Thanks in advance,
Doug
I own two 2018 gas Yamaha carts. One must have is adjustable seats. They don't cost that much more than other "custom" seats. Don't mess with any "blower" as the best think is open front window on hot days. I would also get a windshield that the top half folds down as opposed to just small open vents -again for the hot days.
SELF CANCELING TURN SIGNALS are a must. Just remember to never rely on the folk's turn signals as many carts do not have self canceling and the turn signal may be blinking but they are really not turning. Otherwise, add a beeper that lets you know your turn signal is on.
I believe that visibility low the gold cart is important for safety. I have add LED lights to both carts that are always on white and then blink yellow when turning. It's like having daytime running lights on cars.
Seat belts are another great safety item. Many injuries occur in a golf cart accident when a person gets thrown out.
Old 11-06-2023, 12:57 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Default Don’t have to pay overprices Villages Price for the Same

I would never buy inside The Villages. There are plenty of places outside The Villages that are 20% cheaper on carts.

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning
Old 11-06-2023, 01:23 PM
Default Ca r ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
Gas cart...a really bad decision but the service people will love you because of all those parts to maintain and replace compared to almost none on electric carts. I have seen countless gas carts broken down along the MMPs but never an electric one. Smelly, noisy, polluting, having to go to a service station for gas...ugh! I can run all day as far as I want in my electric cart, simply plug it in at night and its ready for the next day. No oil to check, fuel tank to top off, no belts, hoses & filters to replace, no finicky injectors or exhaust system..and with my lightweight Lithium batteries my cart weighs half as much as a gas cart. Gas engines are going the way of the dinosaur & the sooner the better.
Totally agree with this poster. I bought lithium-ion electric cart when I moved here two years ago. It is called evolution golf carts. In 2 years I have had no problems with it and have over 5,000 miles on it. You'll notice going into tunnels the smell lingering from gas carts or if you get behind one of the older ones spewing smoke and smelling bad you will appreciate your electric cart. Also, you will be able to have a conversation with someone next to you without yelling in their ear. Quiet, dependable and totally where the future is going. If you decide on electric, make sure your Lithium-ion batteries are at least 180 amp hours or more. I can get 80 miles on my golf cart in a day but where am I going to drive a golf cart 80 miles in one day? LOL best of luck to you
Old 11-06-2023, 01:53 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Default Batteries Aren’t Cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cneigoot View Post
Totally agree with this poster. I bought lithium-ion electric cart when I moved here two years ago. It is called evolution golf carts. In 2 years I have had no problems with it and have over 5,000 miles on it. You'll notice going into tunnels the smell lingering from gas carts or if you get behind one of the older ones spewing smoke and smelling bad you will appreciate your electric cart. Also, you will be able to have a conversation with someone next to you without yelling in their ear. Quiet, dependable and totally where the future is going. If you decide on electric, make sure your Lithium-ion batteries are at least 180 amp hours or more. I can get 80 miles on my golf cart in a day but where am I going to drive a golf cart 80 miles in one day? LOL best of luck to you
Yes, because the replacement batteries aren’t cheap…and electricity is free, just look at my AC bill…LOL

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning
Old 11-06-2023, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
Gas cart...a really bad decision but the service people will love you because of all those parts to maintain and replace compared to almost none on electric carts. I have seen countless gas carts broken down along the MMPs but never an electric one. Smelly, noisy, polluting, having to go to a service station for gas...ugh! I can run all day as far as I want in my electric cart, simply plug it in at night and it’s ready for the next day. No oil to check, fuel tank to top off, no belts, hoses & filters to replace, no finicky injectors or exhaust system..and with my lightweight Lithium batteries my cart weighs half as much as a gas cart. Gas engines are going the way of the dinosaur & the sooner the better.
Bull!!!!!

Tags
golf, cart, accessories, haves”, “must

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.