Must Have Accessories for a First Time Buyer

Old 11-06-2023, 03:43 PM

Some under carriage lights are illegal
Old 11-06-2023, 04:23 PM
Veteran member
Default Best option you can get

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnsbill View Post
you should look around and see if you can find a cart with either a Sleekline or Curtis cab - much easier than rolling curtains up and down - think rolling down the curtains in an unexpected T-Storm and you kinda have a choice of how much wind blows thru the cart
This is without a doubt is the best option you can get - Both me and wife really like out sleekline but the Curtis cab is also well worth it . As indicated in the quoted response > being able to quickly close a door instead of pulling off to the side to unroll curtains is a real advantage when there is that unexpected rain or you get a chill (Yes even in Fl this happens to some of us). NOT TO MENTION > if you wife doesn't want the wind to blow her hair around. Not a cheap option but we use it a lot. You also should get the windshield with sliders at the bottom for air when you need it.

If your after opinions > I'd really consider lithium electric carts. Long range, quite, no smell, smooth. Pay attention to the current golf cart ads and you will see a clear trend advertising Lithium carts. Auto sales of electrics / hybrids are growing each year and they are the near future. I think they make even more sense in Golf carts since the millage is way more then you will ever need and as safe or safer than gas.
Old 11-06-2023, 04:34 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
Gas cart...a really bad decision but the service people will love you because of all those parts to maintain and replace compared to almost none on electric carts. I have seen countless gas carts broken down along the MMPs but never an electric one. Smelly, noisy, polluting, having to go to a service station for gas...ugh! I can run all day as far as I want in my electric cart, simply plug it in at night and its ready for the next day. No oil to check, fuel tank to top off, no belts, hoses & filters to replace, no finicky injectors or exhaust system..and with my lightweight Lithium batteries my cart weighs half as much as a gas cart. Gas engines are going the way of the dinosaur & the sooner the better.
Doubt gas carts are a thing of the past in TV. A lot of people in TV like the high range of the gas carts.
Old 11-06-2023, 04:37 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnsbill View Post
you should look around and see if you can find a cart with either a Sleekline or Curtis cab - much easier than rolling curtains up and down - think rolling down the curtains in an unexpected T-Storm and you kinda have a choice of how much wind blows thru the cart
Had the same thought. I am a golfer and this set up is a pain in the you know what if you are on the taller side.
Old 11-06-2023, 04:40 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdawg View Post
Buy from the Villages golf cart. The service alone is worth it. What you save by going somewhere else is not worth the savings.
The extra cost is like the cost of buying an extended warranty from the dealer. Have had Yamaha 3 years. Had one oil change done and nothing else needed.
Old 11-06-2023, 04:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,421 Times in 2,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
Yes, because the replacement batteries aren’t cheap…and electricity is free, just look at my AC bill…LOL
Again (and again and again and...), replacement batteries are not an issue for the next eight years or so at least. By that time they might be cheaper, there might be a longer-range replacement, or the new style cart will be the thing get.

Electricity is approximately $0.01/mile. Over the 5,000 miles the poster mentioned he likely spent about $50 on electricity for the cart.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 11-06-2023, 06:20 PM
Veteran member

Sunbrella (a must)
Cell phone holder that fits in cupholder
Cell phone charging port
Shopping/utility bag that connects where the golf bags normally go. You can put all of your grocery store bags inside of it.
Old 11-06-2023, 07:31 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH1 View Post
Exactly …. ROOKIE MOVE to buy from Village golf carts… Many Private Mint carts out there, and on the outskirts of The Villages… another blank check moves to town…
I'll agree that The Villages Cars are overpriced, but buying a new cart in Webster or Carts and Clubs is a much better deal than used high hour carts. Now that the season is here used prices have gone up by two grand.
Old 11-06-2023, 07:38 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
Gas cart...a really bad decision but the service people will love you because of all those parts to maintain and replace compared to almost none on electric carts. I have seen countless gas carts broken down along the MMPs but never an electric one. Smelly, noisy, polluting, having to go to a service station for gas...ugh! I can run all day as far as I want in my electric cart, simply plug it in at night and its ready for the next day. No oil to check, fuel tank to top off, no belts, hoses & filters to replace, no finicky injectors or exhaust system..and with my lightweight Lithium batteries my cart weighs half as much as a gas cart. Gas engines are going the way of the dinosaur & the sooner the better.
Why even go there ? The OP stated gas. Yet you decided to fire a shot when none was called for. Also one of the other zealots was preaching that electric carts were more stable due to the weight of the batteries.
Old 11-06-2023, 07:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilyclub View Post
Why even go there ? The OP stated gas. Yet you decided to fire a shot when none was called for. Also one of the other zealots was preaching that electric carts were more stable due to the weight of the batteries.
The sad thing is, neither of them bothered to get facts before posting.

My Yamaha gas cart is about 70lbs heavier than my EZ-Go lithium cart which.
Lithium carts are not 1/2 the weight.
Lithium carts are not much heavier than gas.
Lithium carts do not have a lower center of gravity than gas.

Lithium carts work well but some prefer gas. Isn't it nice to have choices?

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 11-06-2023, 09:58 PM

Love my Curtis cab on my cart
Old 11-07-2023, 06:51 AM

Original post did not ask to open gas vs electric discussions. But since you wanted to spout the electric advantage please be honest. Yes the dry weight of an electric cart is less than a gas cart, but once you add the batteries electric carts weigh far more than a gas cart. The only person who can drive a dry weight cart is Fred Flintstone.
Old 11-07-2023, 06:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy o View Post
Original post did not ask to open gas vs electric discussions. But since you wanted to spout the electric advantage please be honest. Yes the dry weight of an electric cart is less than a gas cart, but once you add the batteries electric carts weigh far more than a gas cart. The only person who can drive a dry weight cart is Fred Flintstone.
In case you were referring to my post.....

The weight I used for the lithium cart, 664lbs, was *with* batteries. (Nothing "wet" for lithium, not even the batteries)
The "dry weight" number is for the gas cart and is 714lbs. Adding 30lbs each for the fuel and battery brings it to 774lbs.
I have these numbers from my owner's manual but it is easy to check this online too!

No spouting advantages, just trying to provide real numbers from legitimate sources rather than making claims based on numbers pulled from somewhere else.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough

Last edited by Bill14564; 11-07-2023 at 07:12 AM.
Old 11-07-2023, 07:11 AM

Special ignition switch and key that won’t allow anyone else’s key to start it. I’ve heard that there are only 3 types of keys needed to start the standard locks on most golf carts. Just another deterrent against theft.
Old 11-07-2023, 07:37 AM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES
Default Cart alarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeCee Dubya View Post
Fellow Villagers,

Looking for informed advice from veteran golf cart owners.

So I’m pretty much sold on a late model Yamaha gas cart. And leaning towards buying from The Villages Golf Cars.

Please discuss accessories which you consider “must haves” - ones that really make the golf cart experience more comfortable or practical or safer.

Thanks in advance,
Doug
Gold shield cart alarm. Nice discount for veterans. Love mine and great peace of mind.

Tags
golf, cart, accessories, haves”, “must

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.