My gas cart wants ethanol free gas

Closed Thread
Old 11-05-2009, 07:10 PM
Default My gas cart wants ethanol free gas

Just got my 08 yamaha back from a carb rebuild allegedly due to ethanol plugging up my carb when it sat over the summer. It was covered under warranty , one time deal, but will not be next year.

I put stabile in the tank last May to no avail. I bought gas instead of electric to avoid storage issues. Will draining the carb solve my problem and running it until it stops before storage. Is there any "recreational gas" available the has no ethanol? Help!

Thanks folks

PS Is there any product to add to the gas that safely cleans the carb?
Old 11-05-2009, 08:12 PM

Bought a new 09 yamaha gas cart in Sept. from TV. They told me to add Sta-Bil treatment with ethynol protection (not to be confused with regular Sta Bil treatment) especially during months when not in use. Problem is I have not been able to find the Sta-Bil with ethynol protection. ACE hardware is checking it out. TV Salesman told me the cart must be driven atleast once a month during down time to protect the engine/carb. Appreciate any additional advice. Thanks
Old 11-05-2009, 09:03 PM
Veteran member

Just bought a 2010 Yamaha gas cart today and asked about the procedure for storing the cart for the 4 summer months we will be spending in New Jersey. The owner specifically said not to add stabile and to shut the valve above the gas tank and then let the cart run until it stops. As a side note he also said using octane above 87 is totally unnecessary. If there is a gas smell in the cart it is because there is most likely no muffler extender installed.

Don't burn me in effigy as I am only repeating what the salesperson, owner, told me.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:33 PM

Thanks, was your salesman from the villages cart store or another yamaha dealer? I only ask to see if different dealers are suggesting different solutions to ethynol and storage issues.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:50 PM
anyexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricthemic View Post
Thanks, was your salesman from the villages cart store or another yamaha dealer? I only ask to see if different dealers are suggesting different solutions to ethynol and storage issues.
We bought ours at Carts and Clubs in Ocala and were told to run the gas out if we were going to be gone for an extended time. We did just that and were gone 4 1/2 months. Turned the gas back on and started right off. We've put about 400 miles on it since we've been back and have had no problem at all. We buy our gas at the station by Mulberry Grove (Rt 42) and haven't got a clue what it's got in it!
Old 11-06-2009, 01:40 AM
Veteran member

My cart was purchased at Parts and Clubs on highway 301 today, just out of the villages. He , the owner, was adament; no stable and burn off the fuel by shutting the flow to the engine. He also stated one does not have to disconnect the battery leads either. Lastly use regular gas.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:52 PM
Default carb issues for seasonal storage

Very interesting stuff. Thanks to all who left this valuable information. How long should I have to run the cart to run it out of gas? The mechanic at the villages shop showed me how to loosen the screw on the side of the carb to drain. Should this be done also? Should you drain the gas tank of ethanol gas if no sta-bile is used? Can you get gas w/o ethanol in Fl anywhere close to the villages?
Old 11-07-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VILLAGEKARTAIDE View Post
To answer your question about how long to run the gas out?

This is a generic answer that is easy to do but don't sue me if you go astray. Must carts do not have a fuel petcock ( that is an automotive term for shut off valve).

Remove the fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump, at the pump end of the hose. Then insert a golf tee into the hose to prevent any fuel from leaking.

Then run your engine with your cart in neutral until it stalls, this will take approximately 2 minuets. Then reinstall the hose to the fuel pump. Your cart is now ready for storage. This will also charge the battery for storage.

DO NOT STORE THE CART WITH THE FUEL LINE DISCONNECTED, EVER.
If you are not a mechanical type of cart owner ask for help from a pro or a mechanical neighbor. There is one in every neighborhood.

To answer the second part of your question, where can you find gas without ethanol?, it can be done but it is not easy. Ethanol, also called corn gas is not the only issue with modern fuels. Today's fuel is a world apart from the fuel we used 30 years ago.

If you let a can of fuel that is made today evaporate it leaves a substance behind that is similar to molasses. There is no need to add Sta-Bil to the fuel stored in your gas tank. In the 4-6 months that you may be gone there will be enough volume of fuel to prevent any problem.

Also remember to run the fuel out of any gas powered equipment you own. On smaller gas powered equipment that you are not going to use for a while pour the fuel back into a can then run the engine out of gas until it stalls.

If you are not comfortable doing any of this stuff than disregard it entirely and hire a good home watch person. Have them operate your equipment in your absence. I do know a good home watch person but that is for another thread.
Great advice, thank you, one question please. I have a yamaha gas cart.
I don't think I have a neutral gear just forward and reverse. If this is the case do I jack it up or drive it back and forth until it stops and then push it into the garage?
Old 11-07-2009, 11:36 AM

You have neutral it is in between forward and reverse
Old 11-07-2009, 01:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Disconnect gas, drive cart until it stops, call village kart aide to come get you and take you home....GN
Old 05-08-2012, 10:47 AM
Location: 1859 SAYBROOK WAY- WINIFRED VILLAGE. NORTH OF PALMER COUNTRY CLUB ON BUENA VISTA BLVD.
Send a message via ICQ to Prof

Try STA-BIL ethanol treatment. Available at home depot. 1/2 oz. per tank. Costs much more at golf cart dealerships.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:14 PM

Walmart carries the Sta-Bil Ethanol Treatment (blue bottle) in the auto section. I use it in the cart, lawn mower, stick edger, etc. Lawn equipment repair shops indicate that a significant portion of their small engine problems are ethanol related and recommend ethanol treatments. I also add it to the van gas tank about once a month.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:27 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zummy View Post
Just got my 08 yamaha back from a carb rebuild allegedly due to ethanol plugging up my carb when it sat over the summer. It was covered under warranty , one time deal, but will not be next year.

I put stabile in the tank last May to no avail. I bought gas instead of electric to avoid storage issues. Will draining the carb solve my problem and running it until it stops before storage. Is there any "recreational gas" available the has no ethanol? Help!

Thanks folks

PS Is there any product to add to the gas that safely cleans the carb?
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_7?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=sta+bil+ethanol+treatment&sprefix=sta+bil %2Caps%2C242]Amazon.com: sta bil ethanol treatment[/ame]
Old 05-08-2012, 02:28 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricthemic View Post
Bought a new 09 yamaha gas cart in Sept. from TV. They told me to add Sta-Bil treatment with ethynol protection (not to be confused with regular Sta Bil treatment) especially during months when not in use. Problem is I have not been able to find the Sta-Bil with ethynol protection. ACE hardware is checking it out. TV Salesman told me the cart must be driven atleast once a month during down time to protect the engine/carb. Appreciate any additional advice. Thanks
they sell it at amazon
Old 05-08-2012, 03:41 PM
Sage

red tail, your Amazon link doesn't work.

Bill
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.