Thanked 8,279 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
No non service dogs in restaurants or business either
Is that in the new golf cart law?

-Tom Petty
Old 05-16-2023, 08:15 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,760 Times in 758 Posts

[QUOTE=golfing eagles;2217916]Not necessarily. Many states have reciprocity when it comes to traffic tickets----NY, NJ, and Conn. come to mind immediately---a moving violation in any one of them is reported to all three and affects license points and insurance rates regardless of the state in which the infraction occurred. I don't know if Florida has any such arrangements.

Addendum--I found this:

Most states have reciprocal agreements with each other regarding driver convictions. The shared information may be about a minor offense, such as a speeding ticket, or a major offense, like a DUI.

The Driver’s License Compact (DLC) and Non-Resident Violator Compact (NRVC) are the main reciprocal agreements for traffic violations. There is also the Driver’s License Agreement or DLA, but only a few states are members.

Key Highlights
Member states of the Driver’s License Compact (DLC) share traffic ticket convictions of drivers with other states.
Five states don’t share speeding ticket information with other states: Georgia, Massachusetts, Michigan, Tennessee and Wisconsin.
Member states of the Non-Resident Violator Compact (NRVC) must suspend the driver’s license of anyone who fails to pay or otherwise legally resolve moving violations in another state.
The states that are not NRVC members are Alaska, California, Michigan, Montana, Oregon, and Wisconsin.
The National Driver Register contains records of drivers whose licenses were revoked or suspended and those who have been convicted of a DUI.

Perhaps it will help the situation around here, but it will be a "wait and see" for sure. Logic tells me that if there is no enforcement of any kind (that I've ever heard of anyway) of the speed adult men and women (sorry guys, but 9 out of 10 carts that seems obsessed with passing every other cart, even when a long line returned from the square at night, seem to be men, not women), is not provided for in the posted "law" of 19 mph, then WHO/HOW is the ID checking and ticketing going to get done with visiting grand kids? One is a only an occasional event (teen driver), the other is a daily happening. Not meaning to be the "Debbie Downer", just not expecting to see much difference. Lots of rules and regulations in our world, few are actually enforced, and yes, I know I should say except for a few bored people who (it seems ???) spend their days and nights patrolling and reporting for hoped for "enforcement". Hope it is not just "another law just for the sake of having another law" ?
Old 05-16-2023, 08:35 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,760 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
No law can regulate poor judgment. As the saying goes, "you can't fix stupid".

Saw a cart yesterday, a couple in front, and a woman holding an infant on the back seat, facing backward. No seat belt. Nothing between her and the pavement but thin air and the (assumed) skills of the elderly guy at the wheel.

I don't know if there are laws against that. But how many laws need to be passed before people stop being a danger to themselves? The list is probably endless.
It's not that I disagree with your comments, I see that and more nearly everyday. Seen some frightening things with infants and toddlers just as you described. HOWEVER.... it gets back to the old debate about the true meaning of liberty. How far can, or should, a government go in regulating and "protecting" individuals on the premise it IS the primary responsibility of government to protect the "masses", who are not able to think for themselves, or if they are capable of thinking out "risk", do not make the choices the government wishes them to make. Should an adult villager be able to make a decision to wear a helmet when riding a bike ? What about a teen, should the government view them as capable of making decision to wear bike helmet ? Should the government pass a law that all golf carts must have seat belts ? Does that mean the seat belts MUST be used when in motion ? Would this require a separate law for those actually playing golf as opposed to using the golf cart as transportation? I don't know. As I commented, I too think many things I see look dangerous, but I also know trying to regulate every aspect of life ???? As for "stupid", I doubt the mother you say was "stupid" (maybe so, but I doubt it), more likely not experienced enough, or just not one whose mind goes to the worst possible outcome when (visiting her parents I presume) sharing family times. It's definitely a risk to an infant...and I mentioned I've seen some toddlers standing on the back... but if we get into that type of thing..... certainly the government should pass a law that ALL seniors MUST have a slip proof mat in both the shower and any bathtub, because, FAR more falls in those two locations occur daily all over the USA, than other foolish risks people take ! Don't pretend to have the definitely answer !
Old 05-17-2023, 07:46 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwest737 View Post
Does anyone have stats on GC accidents in the Villages with drivers under the age of 14? I was unaware of it being a significant issue.

Last edited by Whitley; 05-17-2023 at 07:53 AM.
Old 05-17-2023, 08:15 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoot2602 View Post
It's about time. Safety is the issue here, not grandparents' pride of letting their youngsters drive GC in TV. I've seen it so many times...the youngsters are simply inexperienced and there isn't enough time for grandparents/adults to communicate instructions and have youngsters react in time in order to make corrections/reactions. Our home CC just instituted this same rule. Safety is first, not someone's pride!
Back in the 70's my Grandfather taught me how to drive on the streets of Sarasota and Naples. I was 15, driving down US41 (Tamiami). I understand the desire to make everything safe, but there is always the possibility of going a bit too far in our desire to do what we feel is correct for others safety. One may also propose that treating the teenagers today with kid gloves, protecting them in ways we never would, will continue to create sheltered child adults. If there is a serious issue of 14 year olds crashing golf carts I would agree with the law. I was not aware of that happening however.
Old 05-17-2023, 08:34 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Is that in the new golf cart law?
Just how do you think the doggy got to the restaurant?
Old 05-17-2023, 09:16 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitley View Post
Does anyone have stats on GC accidents in the Villages with drivers under the age of 14? I was unaware of it being a significant issue.
It's not all about TV.
It's a state wide law.
More and more communities are allowing CGs on the streets.
Ocala is now allowing GCs in the downtown area.
I don't see an issue with the requirement to have gone through drivers training before driving the streets.
It's a no-brainer.
Old 05-17-2023, 10:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
Just how do you think the doggy got to the restaurant?
My doggo loves to RIDE in my golf Cart, but she's too little to drive... Can't reach the pedals...

-Tom Petty
Old 05-17-2023, 10:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoSno View Post
It's not all about TV.
It's a state wide law.
More and more communities are allowing CGs on the streets.
Ocala is now allowing GCs in the downtown area.
I don't see an issue with the requirement to have gone through drivers training before driving the streets.
It's a no-brainer.
If they are in downtown Orlando, one would think they are "street legal" golf carts, which require a driver's license...

-Tom Petty
Old 05-17-2023, 02:19 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts
Default Reagan quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
It's not that I disagree with your comments, I see that and more nearly everyday. Seen some frightening things with infants and toddlers just as you described. HOWEVER.... it gets back to the old debate about the true meaning of liberty. How far can, or should, a government go in regulating and "protecting" individuals on the premise it IS the primary responsibility of government to protect the "masses", who are not able to think for themselves, or if they are capable of thinking out "risk", do not make the choices the government wishes them to make. Should an adult villager be able to make a decision to wear a helmet when riding a bike ? What about a teen, should the government view them as capable of making decision to wear bike helmet ? Should the government pass a law that all golf carts must have seat belts ? Does that mean the seat belts MUST be used when in motion ? Would this require a separate law for those actually playing golf as opposed to using the golf cart as transportation? I don't know. As I commented, I too think many things I see look dangerous, but I also know trying to regulate every aspect of life ???? As for "stupid", I doubt the mother you say was "stupid" (maybe so, but I doubt it), more likely not experienced enough, or just not one whose mind goes to the worst possible outcome when (visiting her parents I presume) sharing family times. It's definitely a risk to an infant...and I mentioned I've seen some toddlers standing on the back... but if we get into that type of thing..... certainly the government should pass a law that ALL seniors MUST have a slip proof mat in both the shower and any bathtub, because, FAR more falls in those two locations occur daily all over the USA, than other foolish risks people take ! Don't pretend to have the definitely answer !
“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is deciding to protect us from ourselves”. Ronald Reagan
Old 06-08-2023, 06:37 AM

2 weeks ago I was cutting my grass when a guy pulled onto our street and stopped. He swapped places and let a boy and girl get in the front and drive, while he sat in the back seat. These kids were VERY young, definitely under 10.

It’s insane how many people don’t realize how dangerous carts can be.

Hike naked, it adds color to your cheeks!
Old 06-08-2023, 08:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,525 Times in 3,111 Posts

The "Freedom" thing should extend to liability and insurance. IF you choose to let a 13-year-old drive your golf cart, and IF there's an accident involving your 13-year-old behind the wheel of the golf cart, THEN no one's insurance will cover damages. Her health insurance won't cover her injuries. The guy she hits will have to sue the owner of the golf cart directly, and/or the girl's parents. Whoever owns the golf cart will have any claims on their own insurance for the accident denied.

AND - whatever adult is legally responsible for the child at the time he/she was behind the wheel - gets a ticket, and arrested for reckless endangerment of a minor child.
Old 06-08-2023, 03:09 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
I'd like to see that myself. A list of accidents or citations on a driver 14 or under.
Closed Thread

Tags
year, golf, cart, drivers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.