No more 14 year old golf cart drivers

Closed Thread
Old 05-16-2023, 06:09 AM
Default not really

the villages golf cart paths are mostly not public streets

Gov. Ron DeSantis signed HB 949 Thursday, a bill sponsored by Rep. Cyndi Stevenson, R- St. Johns, that officially bans young drivers from public streets.
Old 05-16-2023, 07:36 AM
Default 14 YO driving golf carts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwest737 View Post
It's about time. Safety is the issue here, not grandparents' pride of letting their youngsters drive GC in TV. I've seen it so many times...the youngsters are simply inexperienced and there isn't enough time for grandparents/adults to communicate instructions and have youngsters react in time in order to make corrections/reactions. Our home CC just instituted this same rule. Safety is first, not someone's pride!
Old 05-16-2023, 07:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

No law can regulate poor judgment. As the saying goes, "you can't fix stupid".

Saw a cart yesterday, a couple in front, and a woman holding an infant on the back seat, facing backward. No seat belt. Nothing between her and the pavement but thin air and the (assumed) skills of the elderly guy at the wheel.

I don't know if there are laws against that. But how many laws need to be passed before people stop being a danger to themselves? The list is probably endless.
Old 05-16-2023, 07:52 AM

The Drivers License Compact which states enter into with other states agree that a ticket vor a moving traffic violation will appear on your WI drivers record.
Old 05-16-2023, 08:04 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I totally get and appreciate the law. It was needed. We even observed two young girls who ran a four-wheel ATV into a ditch.

Different times. I grew up on a farm and was driving my dad's milk cans to town in a pickup truck when I was 13. The local cop said "no problem" as long as I behaved.
Old 05-16-2023, 08:13 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
So is the mmp a legal street? Rarely do you see LEO’s ticket autos on street’s in TV proper, majority of grandparents, who thinks their grandchildren are the exception, will continue to let them drive.

Why because nobody is going to stop them and ask for DL or permit
To my understanding the MMPs are private property but a property damage or personal injury accident can involve law enforcement. That's the brief we received at the newcomer's briefing when we moved here. I forgot the judge's name but he's retired now.
Old 05-16-2023, 08:24 AM
Default Golf carts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Will be totally ignored by TV grandparents.
Fall into same same category as Stop signs.
Rules only for other people.
The three most dangerous act I've seen on a golf cart: child driver; pet or child in the driver's lap; and alcohol in the driver's hand. All could cause an accident and should result in a ticket/fine. Oh and all pets/children should wear a seat belt.
Old 05-16-2023, 09:20 AM
Default Hold on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
It's about time. Folks are getting their license taken away after being charged with DUI while operating a golf cart. That didn't make sense, when you didn't need a drivers license to operate a golf cart. At least now it will make sense.
Wait a minute. It did not say that you will require a driver license to operate a golf cart. The article stated that, "If you're 18 and older, you have to have valid government-issued identification", and that is what you will be given instead of a driver license should you get a DUI in a car.

Here is the newly amended form of HB 949 effective 10/1/2023:

(7) A golf cart may not be operated on public roads or
streets by a person:

(a) Who is under 18 years of age unless he or she
possesses a valid learner's driver license or valid driver
license.

(b) Who is 18 years of age or older unless he or she
possesses a valid form of government-issued photographic
identification.

No loss of golf cart usage from a DUI.

Last edited by flsteve; 05-16-2023 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Redacted lines from HB949 were included in the cut and paste from the bill. Also, the date of 10/1/2023 is effective date.
Old 05-16-2023, 10:02 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post

YAY!!! But let's hope it's enforced around TV when it comes into being on July 1st.

We purchased in TV April 2006. There have several fatalities with golf carts and all adults. I’m not saying the new law is bad but I am saying a well supervised 14-15 year old is very capable of driving a golf cart. Next law will be that 80 year olds seniors can no longer drive a golf cart in The Villages. Too old! Careful what you wish for.
Old 05-16-2023, 10:21 AM

IMHO - if you need to be 16 in most states to get a drivers permit, I can’t see why TV (Florida) allows 14 yo to drive golf carts. Many times they are on the public roads and rarely know rules of etiquette.
Old 05-16-2023, 10:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,395 Times in 2,069 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoot2602 View Post
It's about time. Safety is the issue here, not grandparents' pride of letting their youngsters drive GC in TV. I've seen it so many times...the youngsters are simply inexperienced and there isn't enough time for grandparents/adults to communicate instructions and have youngsters react in time in order to make corrections/reactions. Our home CC just instituted this same rule. Safety is first, not someone's pride!
I must be looking in the wrong place; haven't seen any articles about 14 year olds in golf cart accidents. Where can I read more about the "too many times" that you have seen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
No law can regulate poor judgment. As the saying goes, "you can't fix stupid".

Saw a cart yesterday, a couple in front, and a woman holding an infant on the back seat, facing backward. No seat belt. Nothing between her and the pavement but thin air and the (assumed) skills of the elderly guy at the wheel.

I don't know if there are laws against that. But how many laws need to be passed before people stop being a danger to themselves? The list is probably endless.
What were the injuries from what you saw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toeser View Post
I totally get and appreciate the law. It was needed. We even observed two young girls who ran a four-wheel ATV into a ditch.

Different times. I grew up on a farm and was driving my dad's milk cans to town in a pickup truck when I was 13. The local cop said "no problem" as long as I behaved.
An ATV in the Villages is already against the law. But running into a ditch? There are ditches in the Villages?

You drove a pickup on a road at 13 and lived to tell about it yet driving a sped-limited golf cart on paths in a retirement community is now unsafe at 14?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
We purchased in TV April 2006. There have several fatalities with golf carts and all adults. I’m not saying the new law is bad but I am saying a well supervised 14-15 year old is very capable of driving a golf cart. Next law will be that 80 year olds seniors can no longer drive a golf cart in The Villages. Too old! Careful what you wish for.
Exactly! (though I believe the law is unnecessary)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankygrl View Post
IMHO - if you need to be 16 in most states to get a drivers permit, I can’t see why TV (Florida) allows 14 yo to drive golf carts. Many times they are on the public roads and rarely know rules of etiquette.
Somewhat significant difference between a 4,000 pound automobile capable of traveling over 80 mph and a 500(?) pound golf cart with a top speed in the 20s.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 05-16-2023, 10:58 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
How many age laws are we going to have?

Vote 18
Drink 21
Smoke 21
Drivers License 16
Learners Permit 15
Boat ?
Golf cart Evolving
Dirt dike ?
Motorcycle 16
Minor child criminal laws(except murder) up to18
Murder can be under 18
Statutory rape victim 16 and younger, even if girl consents.
Get Married 18
Old 05-16-2023, 11:02 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post

YAY!!! But let's hope it's enforced around TV when it comes into being on July 1st.
Lived here for 3 years and 1st saw what I thought was a young person driving a cart was last week. Was with a person who was old enough to be her grand father. How many accidents are caused by these under 16 year olds?
Old 05-16-2023, 12:03 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts
Default Golf cart accidents

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
Lived here for 3 years and 1st saw what I thought was a young person driving a cart was last week. Was with a person who was old enough to be her grand father. How many accidents are caused by these under 16 year olds?
As I understand, all the fatalities (very serious accidents) in golf carts have all been adults. Most involved a collision with a car. Accidents involving 14 and 15 olds I haven’t seen or heard of any. But not every minor accident in a golf cart may not be reported. I’ve been in The Villages 17 years. How time flies!
Old 05-16-2023, 03:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

No non service dogs in restaurants or business either

Tags
year, golf, cart, drivers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.