8" or 10" tires?

Closed Thread
Old 04-14-2011, 08:48 AM
Default 8" or 10" tires?

Just had my speed check at the Landings Sheriff's inspection day and 17mph was all I could do.

I would like to pick it up a bit and was wondering if any one out there has had success gaining some speed by going from 8" to 10" tires?
Old 04-14-2011, 08:56 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwebb View Post
Just had my speed check at the Landings Sheriff's inspection day and 17mph was all I could do.

I would like to pick it up a bit and was wondering if any one out there has had success gaining some speed by going from 8" to 10" tires?
I believe you'll get a little more speed out of the 10" tires..........but I also believe you'll lose some torque (it'll take a bit more time to get up to speed - you'll lose some going up hills).

Hopefully someone else has done this and can give you some specific before-and-after measurements. You could also call one of the local golf cart dealers and/or people who service carts and get their input.

Bill
Old 04-14-2011, 09:05 AM
Sage

17 MPH is an odd speed to be going, there may be other issues preventing you from 19.x??

As far as tires, going from 8 to 10 inch should give about 8 -10 percent gain in MPH. With the on road driving we do in TV, you should not notice any torque issue or at least I have not. It is even faster up the hills in Mallory (Odell) with larger tires.

You need to make sure that a 10 inch wheel with a high profile tire such as a 205-65-10 will fit on your cart without rubbing.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:48 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
17 MPH is an odd speed to be going, there may be other issues preventing you from 19.x??

As far as tires, going from 8 to 10 inch should give about 8 -10 percent gain in MPH. With the on road driving we do in TV, you should not notice any torque issue or at least I have not. It is even faster up the hills in Mallory (Odell) with larger tires.

You need to make sure that a 10 inch wheel with a high profile tire such as a 205-65-10 will fit on your cart without rubbing.
Exactly..you must get the "__High profile__ tire", like AJ states.....(An 18.5 x 8.5 x 8inch...... standard size golf car tire/wheel assembly......is the same diameter overall as the 205 x 50 x 10 inch road tire)...NO speed advantage with LOW profile 10 inch.....the road tire simply lasts three times longer...in those sizes. Always check ...you must have greater overall diameter to gain speed. Not just larger rim size.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.