Oh my goodness, Electric cart owners must read

Closed Thread
Old 08-24-2023, 10:42 AM
Default Oh my goodness, Electric cart owners must read

Oh my, Jacksonville fire dept issues warnings June 2023

Lithium batteries in golf cart spark fire that destroys E-Town home, firefighters say
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	etown.jpg
Views:	3966
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	99856  

Last edited by bcsnave; 08-24-2023 at 11:06 AM.
Old 08-24-2023, 11:00 AM
Veteran member

Thank you for posting this. It is a great reminder to all of us to be careful with lithium batteries. Call 911 if you see smoke or flames. Do not attempt to douse the fire yourself.
Old 08-24-2023, 11:06 AM

Not only religated to golf cars but the high intensity fires from lithium

JFRD warning about lithium batteries
Old 08-24-2023, 12:08 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcsnave View Post
Need more details. Make, model, aftermarket add-on? Overcharging? Not worried about my EZ-Go Elite.

Gas carts catch fire too.
Old 08-24-2023, 12:18 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,760 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Not only religated to golf cars but the high intensity fires from lithium

JFRD warning about lithium batteries
Exactly ! While this post will never convince "electric cart devotees" or "gas cart diehards" to abandon their choices (and probably was not meant to influence decisions !), but to call attention to the need to be AWARE that batteries are not THE perfect solution to everything... the "vape" craze found batteries exploding and causing serious injury, ditto battery powered "skate boards", so autos and golf carts and lawn mowers are no different. The post is just a great reminder, even if it only reaches a few people.
Old 08-24-2023, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
Exactly ! While this post will never convince "electric cart devotees" or "gas cart diehards" to abandon their choices (and probably was not meant to influence decisions !), but to call attention to the need to be AWARE that batteries are not THE perfect solution to everything... the "vape" craze found batteries exploding and causing serious injury, ditto battery powered "skate boards", so autos and golf carts and lawn mowers are no different. The post is just a great reminder, even if it only reaches a few people.
And watch this report JFRD warning about lithium batteries
Old 08-24-2023, 09:45 PM
Thanked 1,120 Times in 246 Posts

Quote:
Another "Nervous Nellie". I have 4 e-bikes with Lithium Ion batteries, an electric golf cart with Lithium Ion and a bunch of power tools that run on the same. My next car will run on Lithium Ion batteries. There are better things to worry about for those of you who seem to love to worry. Don't forget to look up every once in a while, I heard the sky is falling. Oh my!
Old 08-24-2023, 10:30 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
Another "Nervous Nellie". I have 4 e-bikes with Lithium Ion batteries, an electric golf cart with Lithium Ion, and a bunch of power tools that run on the same. My next car will run on Lithium Ion batteries. There are better things to worry about for those of you who seem to love to worry. Don't forget to look up every once in a while, I heard the sky is falling. Oh my!
No one on this post bashed your choice for buying electric. This post was a warning that if you do have lithium-powered items in your home, be careful! Chemicals you cannot see or smell will ignite and your entire home will burn down because chemical fires are extremely difficult to extinguish. (even by highly trained firemen) Make certain your batteries have no leaks or damage and purchase the brand of battery the manufacturer suggests. I would also add, make certain your charger does not have a faulty wiring system.

Last edited by margaretmattson; 08-24-2023 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-25-2023, 04:35 AM
Veteran member

EV technology isn’t ready yet to be widely used, or to be a replacement for combustion engines.
You know producing lithium batteries and especially discarding lithium batteries is very bad for the environment (hazardous waste items)? Check this out:

Carbon Footprint of Lithium-Ion Battery Production (vs Gasoline, Lead-Acid)

I’ll take a normal combustion engine car over an EV now (which I just did) and imo it might take EVs a few more decades to perfect the technology.
Old 08-25-2023, 05:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmurano View Post
EV technology isn’t ready yet to be widely used, or to be a replacement for combustion engines.
You know producing lithium batteries and especially discarding lithium batteries is very bad for the environment (hazardous waste items)? Check this out:

Carbon Footprint of Lithium-Ion Battery Production (vs Gasoline, Lead-Acid)

I’ll take a normal combustion engine car over an EV now (which I just did) and imo it might take EVs a few more decades to perfect the technology.
It would seem that EV technology is being widely used as a replacement for combustion engines today. "I wouldn't buy one of those!" Fine, but your neighbor and his buddy already did. Cars, golf carts, and residential-grade lawn maintenance equipment powered by batteries are being widely purchased today.

I was surprised to find the article was not anti-battery.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 08-25-2023, 05:09 AM
Default Lithium batteries

Quote:
Everybody freaks out over a lithium battery issue, while gasoline vehicles burn every day. We have lithium batteries in cell phones, iPads, laptops, hybrid vehicles, electric vehicles, and all of our cordless tools. Lithium is a way of life today
Old 08-25-2023, 05:21 AM

The Government WILL NOT ALLOW lithium batteries in the cargo hold of airplanes, but the Government WANTS you to have lithium batteries in your EV in your garage where you and your family live!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-25-2023, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyarham View Post
Everybody freaks out over a lithium battery issue, while gasoline vehicles burn every day. We have lithium batteries in cell phones, iPads, laptops, hybrid vehicles, electric vehicles, and all of our cordless tools. Lithium is a way of life today
Yup just more toxic expensive waste for our dumps someday...
Old 08-25-2023, 06:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPerry View Post
The Government WILL NOT ALLOW lithium batteries in the cargo hold of airplanes, but the Government WANTS you to have lithium batteries in your EV in your garage where you and your family live!!!!!!!!!
And why is that?

Is it because lithium batteries are exploding left and right leaving destruction in their wake and keeping the insurance companies and home builders in business?

Or, is it because there is a risk with lithium batteries, just as there is a risk with gasoline or compressed gases, and the Govt is not ready to accept that risk with 100+ lives.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 08-25-2023, 06:56 AM

BMW of Wesley Chapel recently had large fire destroying 10 new cars. They have large lithium batteries.
Closed Thread

Tags
fire, jacksonville, dept, issues, warnings

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.