Oh my goodness, Electric cart owners must read

Closed Thread
Old 08-25-2023, 07:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiric View Post
BMW of Wesley Chapel recently had large fire destroying 10 new cars. They have large lithium batteries.
What has large lithium batteries? All BMWs? The 10 new BMWs that were destroyed? The information I could find did not give a cause of the fire.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 08-25-2023, 07:55 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

There was one in Harbour Hills 2 or 3 yrs. ago that destroyed their home!
Old 08-25-2023, 07:57 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
What has large lithium batteries? All BMWs? The 10 new BMWs that were destroyed? The information I could find did not give a cause of the fire.
I read a few articles regarding this. Check out the article in which a BMW caught fire in the garage of a homeowner in Wesley Chapel. Even though the cause of that fire is still under investigation, It will provide you with some insight.
Old 08-25-2023, 08:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,914 Times in 918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
Another "Nervous Nellie". I have 4 e-bikes with Lithium Ion batteries, an electric golf cart with Lithium Ion and a bunch of power tools that run on the same. My next car will run on Lithium Ion batteries. There are better things to worry about for those of you who seem to love to worry. Don't forget to look up every once in a while, I heard the sky is falling. Oh my!
As in life, everything works like historical precedence, until it doesn't. .

human recency bias at work, because the human brain has a very hard time deciphering small probabilities. .

the future is always uncertain, sometimes more uncertain than at other times.
Old 08-25-2023, 08:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,914 Times in 918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyarham View Post
Everybody freaks out over a lithium battery issue, while gasoline vehicles burn every day. We have lithium batteries in cell phones, iPads, laptops, hybrid vehicles, electric vehicles, and all of our cordless tools. Lithium is a way of life today
although true in the simpliest of comparisons, the actual differences between gas and chemical fires are miles apart in intensity and extinguishment execution, and lithium files probably follow a non linear exponential intensity path with battery size, which of course the cultists want to ignore. .
Old 08-25-2023, 08:07 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,204 Times in 465 Posts
Default Lithium batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPerry View Post
The Government WILL NOT ALLOW lithium batteries in the cargo hold of airplanes, but the Government WANTS you to have lithium batteries in your EV in your garage where you and your family live!!!!!!!!!
Coming from an administration that wants all government vehicles to be electric by 2035? I think listening to the government is always a mistake. They do not even listen to themselves! I have had an electric cart for over 8 years and have owned a tesla, I would not worry too much and you can stick to the nonflammable gas you use if I were you, you know, the one you use in your combustible engine.
Old 08-25-2023, 08:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall55 View Post
I read a few articles regarding this. Check out the article in which a BMW caught fire in the garage of a homeowner in Wesley Chapel. Even though the cause of that fire is still under investigation, It will provide you with some insight.
Yep, saw that one. Seems BMW has a problem with cars catching fire, but long before they were electric.
  • - The article was from 2018 when I suspect there were not too many (any?) BMW EVs
  • - The article mentions the vehicle's engine, not battery or motor
  • - The article talks about 40 cars catching fire in the last five years which would go back to 2013 when I'm sure there were not a lot of BMW EVs
  • - The article mentions a 2017 recall of about one million vehicles for fire-related issues - there is no way BMW has 1 million EVs on the road in 2017

Post #15 seems to want to imply that the recent Wesley Chapel fire was caused by lithium batteries. Nothing in the available reporting on that fire gives any evidence of that. Previous reporting on BMW fires indicates that BMW has had an issue since well before they were using lithium batteries.

The recent fire *might* have been caused by the batteries but we don't know that yet.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 08-25-2023, 08:17 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Yep, saw that one. Seems BMW has a problem with cars catching fire, but long before they were electric.
  • - The article was from 2018 when I suspect there were not too many (any?) BMW EVs
  • - The article mentions the vehicle's engine, not battery or motor
  • - The article talks about 40 cars catching fire in the last five years which would go back to 2013 when I'm sure there were not a lot of BMW EVs
  • - The article mentions a 2017 recall of about one million vehicles for fire-related issues - there is no way BMW has 1 million EVs on the road in 2017

Post #15 seems to want to imply that the recent Wesley Chapel fire was caused by lithium batteries. Nothing in the available reporting on that fire gives any evidence of that. Previous reporting on BMW fires indicates that BMW has had an issue since well before they were using lithium batteries.

The recent fire *might* have been caused by the batteries but we don't know that yet.
That is how I see it. Lithium batteries were most likely not the cause of the BMW fires. Have to wait for the investigation though.
Old 08-25-2023, 08:22 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,377 Times in 500 Posts

Lithium fires are more dangerous than gas fires and more difficult to put out. First Due: Operational Considerations for Fires that Involve Lithium-ion Batteries | Firehouse
Old 08-25-2023, 08:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
although true in the simpliest of comparisons, the actual differences between gas and chemical fires are miles apart in intensity and extinguishment execution, and lithium files probably follow a non linear exponential intensity path with battery size, which of course the cultists want to ignore. .
A gasoline fire *IS* a chemical fire.

A lithium battery fire would be a flammable metals fire.

It would be interesting to see statistics showing the frequency of fires for gas and electric vehicles: how many engine fires for every 100,000 gasoline engines and how many battery fires for every 100,000 EVs? Does something like that exist?

It would also be interesting to see how that number changes over time. Gasoline engines became safer over time and EVs are relatively new. Are they dangerous now but not as dangerous as three years ago or are they generally safe now and getting safer every year?

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 08-25-2023, 08:33 AM

Reminder to gasoline powered carts. Gasoline can burn.
https://www.**************.com/2020/...-the-villages/
Old 08-25-2023, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimes View Post
Lithium fires are more dangerous than gas fires and more difficult to put out. First Due: Operational Considerations for Fires that Involve Lithium-ion Batteries | Firehouse
True, and gasoline fires are more dangerous than wood fires. As our technology evolves, we learn to respond in how we handle the emergencies coming out of that technology. In the near future, fire departments will have the extinguishers for lithium battery fires. Perhaps a powder of salt sprayed over the fire (no water, of course) which will prevent oxygen from reaching lithium. That is a bit simplistic but you get the idea.

— Joan Robinson, “Contributions to Modern Economics” (1978)
Old 08-25-2023, 08:49 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwest737 View Post
Reminder to gasoline powered carts. Gasoline can burn.
https://www.**************.com/2020/...-the-villages/
Errr...did you read the article attached to the OP? Lithium fires are difficult to extinguish even by trained fireman. Because of this, those fires cause extreme damage. Gas fires can be extinguished quickly.
Old 08-25-2023, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcsnave View Post
Which is why I prefer regular batteries.
Old 08-25-2023, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey View Post
Which is why I prefer regular batteries.
Huh???
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	battery.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	99887  
Closed Thread

Tags
fire, jacksonville, dept, issues, warnings

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.