Oh my goodness, Electric cart owners must read

Closed Thread
Old 08-26-2023, 08:46 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarodrig View Post
Oh my goodness ! ICE vehicle owners must read !!!

Orlando firefighters combat vehicle fire in downtown - Orlando-News.com
err....the fire was quickly extinguished in Orlando. The warning of OP is that a lithium fire is difficult to extinguish causing extreme damage to property. If a lithium battery catches fire in your garage, you are going to lose your entire home. It is a warning for homeowners to be mindful. Make sure your battery is not damaged or leaking, use only the brand of battery recommended by the manufacturer, make certain charger has no faulty wiring. You have a less chance of losing your home if you do these things.

Last edited by Randall55; 08-26-2023 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08-26-2023, 09:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,971 Times in 2,478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwest737 View Post
The Boeing 787 Dreamliner has two lithium ion batteries used to supply backup power.

I did remember something with those batteries on some airplanes And wasn’t they grounded cause of those batteries for short time/
Old 08-27-2023, 02:39 AM
Veteran member

How Smartphone Batteries Can Catch Fire—and How to Prevent It | iFixit News
Now we can focus on cell phone fires for a while.
Old 08-27-2023, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevision View Post
So would that be a "BURNER" phone
Old 08-27-2023, 09:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,913 Times in 1,531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcsnave View Post
So would that be a "BURNER" phone
Nice!
Old 08-27-2023, 09:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
NTSB: Used vehicle battery caused weeklong cargo ship fire
Reddit - Dive into anything

regular batteries caused the fires. .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIeq22UGyn8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIQDhls-A44

lithium ion batteries caused the fires . .

so batteries cause fires, whether lead acid or lithium ion, whether gas or electric. . and since lithium ion is a more dangerous fire, intensity and difficulty putting out, everything will be fine, until it isn't, just like everything else where historically the risk is very, very low, but not zero. Some of use don't like that risk to reward, others play the odds. .

neither are wrong, but one has the opportunity to be very disappointed or inconvenienced. ..

good luck. .
Progress will be made in batteries for E-vehicles - they will get better and SAFER because there are so many advantages to E-vehicles. One advantage is a lower center of gravity which increases BOTH safety and speed of accelerating and decelerating (braking). There are many fewer moving parts so EVENTUALLY, ELECTRIC VEHICLES will COST less than GAS. An electric motor moves in a circle - gas engine pistons slap around going up and down. There are also other advantages.
........Gasoline is a fire hazard and has exploded on occasion. I don't have the exact statistics, but I would be willing to bet that gasoline vehicles burn down homes at a GREATER rate than E-vehicles.
Old 08-27-2023, 09:53 AM
Sage

Quote:
4 minutes !! That’s great . I’m sure that the owner jumped right in and drove it home after the fire was “quickly” extinguished !

There are MANY , MANY more car fires involving ICE vehicles than EV’s …. Probably at least 10 to 1 but you can research that if you’re interested.

Granted , there are MANY, MANY more ICE vehicles than EV’s but guess what ?

The end result is the same ….. both cars will be totaled by the insurance companies………..

The point I was trying to make is that the sky, in fact , is not falling !!!
Good logical post.
Old 08-27-2023, 10:00 AM
Sage

Quote:
When you do the math , ICE vehicles are far more dangerous and and destructive to the environment than EV’s simply on numbers alone and that’s not even considering the emissions debate !!

There are HUNDREDS of ICE car fires vs a small handful of EV fires YEARLY. So the total man hours spent on extinguishing ICE car fires, water used , toxins from all the plastic in the vehicles exponentially exceed the time spent on extinguishing EV fires. You can research that if you want to !
personally, I think that the emissions (CO2) of ICE vehicles IS the MOST important thing to discuss. Man-made (from mostly IC engine vehicles) Global Warming IS what is causing RECORD temperatures in Fl and around the world this summer. Each year the record temperatures are predicted by scientists to continue and get WORSE. The main solution is MORE Electric Vehicles and fewer gas vehicles.
Old 08-27-2023, 12:33 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,090 Times in 747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
personally, I think that the emissions (CO2) of ICE vehicles IS the MOST important thing to discuss. Man-made (from mostly IC engine vehicles) Global Warming IS what is causing RECORD temperatures in Fl and around the world this summer. Each year the record temperatures are predicted by scientists to continue and get WORSE. The main solution is MORE Electric Vehicles and fewer gas vehicles.
Which flavor of Kool-Aid do you prefer?
Old 08-27-2023, 02:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,299 Times in 4,311 Posts

Quote:
Progress will be made in batteries for E-vehicles - they will get better and SAFER because there are so many advantages to E-vehicles. One advantage is a lower center of gravity which increases BOTH safety and speed of accelerating and decelerating (braking). There are many fewer moving parts so EVENTUALLY, ELECTRIC VEHICLES will COST less than GAS. An electric motor moves in a circle - gas engine pistons slap around going up and down. There are also other advantages.
........Gasoline is a fire hazard and has exploded on occasion. I don't have the exact statistics, but I would be willing to bet that gasoline vehicles burn down homes at a GREATER rate than E-vehicles.
Quote:
The Villages Florida

-Tom Petty
Old 08-27-2023, 02:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,753 Times in 1,531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPerry View Post
The Government WILL NOT ALLOW lithium batteries in the cargo hold of airplanes, but the Government WANTS you to have lithium batteries in your EV in your garage where you and your family live!!!!!!!!!
Don't imagine I could ship a can or plastic jug of gasoline by plane either. But we can store it at home in the garage. Just accept the reminder that batteries, like gas, can cause fires. Thank you!
Old 08-27-2023, 04:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
I could ask what flavor of Global Warming coral reef destruction do some people prefer?
Old 08-28-2023, 04:49 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,090 Times in 747 Posts

Quote:
I could ask what flavor of Global Warming coral reef destruction do some people prefer?
The earth evolves. If it didn't, we'd still have dinosaurs. Oh wait ... we still have some and many have retired in TV.
Old 08-28-2023, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
Myself, I like grape
Old 08-28-2023, 05:32 AM

Kool aid

Last edited by bcsnave; 08-28-2023 at 05:43 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
fire, jacksonville, dept, issues, warnings

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.