Par Car lights failed - head and tail

Closed Thread
Old 12-17-2023, 10:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Par Car lights failed - head and tail

Driving home in the torrential rain last night the front and rear lights on my Par Car suddenly went off. Luckily I was only 50 yards from home turf.

I checked the cart this morning and they flashed on briefly when I turned on the lightswitch, but no amount of on/off would get a second flicker.

The flash would seem to rule out a blown fuse, so maybe it is just a rainwater incursion somewhere causing a short?

All ideas gratefully received.

Thank you
Old 12-17-2023, 10:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

The flash may have been a fuse blowing. IMHO, I would check for a blown fuse. If you find one, then you will need to find the short circuit. Now i have not worked on a Par Car golf cart, if this is an electric cart, you will need to check the DC/DC power converter it may have failed. Do NOT replace the failed fuse with a larger fuse. Check all of the components on this circuit for a short, you should be able to unplug the headlights and taillights, install the fuse, turn on the switch, and plug in the lights one at a time.
Hope this helps. Send me a PM if you would like help or like to discuss further.
Old 12-17-2023, 12:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
The flash may have been a fuse blowing. IMHO, I would check for a blown fuse.
Many thanks, as always, VT.

A blown fuse seems like the obvious cause, and the easiest to fix, so here's hoping.
Old 12-17-2023, 12:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

I would also look for water in light fixtures. I hope you have multimeter to check for power along line?
Old 12-17-2023, 12:48 PM

The fuse holder is normally the culprit on a par car due to its location. Because it went out while driving it may have started to melt the holder. Simple check.
Old 12-17-2023, 03:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyP View Post
The fuse holder is normally the culprit on a par car due to its location. Because it went out while driving it may have started to melt the holder. Simple check.
There seem to be a large number of cables/fuses in that location, all unmarked. Is there an easy way to tell which belongs to the lights? Would one fuse serve both front and rear lights?

Thank you
Old 12-17-2023, 08:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
There seem to be a large number of cables/fuses in that location, all unmarked. Is there an easy way to tell which belongs to the lights? Would one fuse serve both front and rear lights?

Thank you
Since the head lights and tail lights share the same switch these should be on the same fuse. If the fuses are not labeled, take them out ONE AT A TIME, look at the center area of the fuse and you should see a U shaped piece of wire. If you have a digital meter, set it on low ohms to check the fuse if you cannot see the U shaped wire. If you find a blown fuse, look at the end and you will see a number this is the rating of the fuse, make sure the new fuse has the same rating. The auto parts stores sell packs of fuses with several ratings, and some have a very convenient fuse puller. I have both if you need a hand.
Old 12-18-2023, 08:39 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Since the head lights and tail lights share the same switch these should be on the same fuse. If the fuses are not labeled, take them out ONE AT A TIME, look at the center area of the fuse and you should see a U shaped piece of wire. If you have a digital meter, set it on low ohms to check the fuse if you cannot see the U shaped wire. If you find a blown fuse, look at the end and you will see a number this is the rating of the fuse, make sure the new fuse has the same rating. The auto parts stores sell packs of fuses with several ratings, and some have a very convenient fuse puller. I have both if you need a hand.
Thank you, VT
Old 12-18-2023, 10:22 AM
Veteran member

To add to what VT mentioned , you should be able to check for a blown fuse without the need to pull it .

See image . On top of the fuse, you will see two metal “tabs” (not the right term , but….). I have drawn a circle to point them out .

If (BIG IF) you have a multi meter AND know how to use it , set it to read ohms 2000

Touch the probes one each to the metal tabs at the same time .

IF the fuse is NOT blown , the reading on the meter should be 0.00

IF you get any reading other than 000, the fuse is blown …..
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4407.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	101749   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4408.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	101750   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4410.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	101751  
Old 12-18-2023, 10:49 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarodrig View Post
To add to what VT mentioned , you should be able to check for a blown fuse without the need to pull it .
Thank you, jarodrig - will give it a go
Closed Thread

Tags
par, home, lights, car, rule

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.