Policy Change

Closed Thread
Old 02-12-2017, 08:44 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred53 View Post
and what is the replacement cost??? My gas engine is over 13 years old and still runs great. The benefits of gas over electric are numerous...the benefits of battery are they are very quiet...and that's the only benefit. Oh and every single electric cart I've ridden in slows considerably on hills(perhaps the new ones do not, but the replacement cost of batteries every 4 years or so at +$350 or so is ridiculous in my opinion). As to solar cells...the technology as of today dictates you will never recoup the cost.
I don't want to debate the gas vs elec thing it's been done way too much herein.

but for you to say battery replacement is ridiculous isn't fair gas carts need servicing too. And if that engine needed to be replaced that isn't cheap

Going solar you do recoup the cost, so that's not correct.
It's not only about recouping costs. (global warming)

We can also talk about your carbon footprint but that a whole other story............again debated here before.

Enjoy your cart just stay far ahead or behind I don't want to hear that little lawnmower sound or inhale the carbon dioxide.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
and what is the replacement cost??? My gas engine is over 13 years old and still runs great. The benefits of gas over electric are numerous...the benefits of battery are they are very quiet...and that's the only benefit. Oh and every single electric cart I've ridden in slows considerably on hills(perhaps the new ones do not, but the replacement cost of batteries every 4 years or so at +$350 or so is ridiculous in my opinion). As to solar cells...the technology as of today dictates you will never recoup the cost.
I did not feel like 'Jimbo' was trying to start the age old war of gas vs electric. He was pointing out how the sales people seemed to not understand anything about electric carts.

That surprises me, since it is not rocket science.

PS. If you can get batteries for $350, please let me know where

Last edited by ajbrown; 02-12-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:36 AM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

Well the point of my thread was just that you can now get golf carts set at the same speed whether you buy in Ocala or The Villages, and we should be able to get our golf carts serviced at The Villages even if we bought them in Ocala because they will both be selling with the same speed setting. There will be no issue about having to lower the cart to get local service. That was my happy news. And I am pleased to have facilitated that change.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by permanentvacation View Post
If a cop stops you for going 22 mph in a golf cart, then he/she needs to get a life. There are bigger fish to fry. (Btw, I am a retired cop.)
I agree.... but find talking about "getting a life" on this site VERY amusing!
Old 02-12-2017, 11:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
I absolutely agree with what you just posted.

AND... I like the way The Villages does business in all of their businesses. I miss the ones they sold to others. (Southern LifeStyles, The Veranda, etc). The Villages is an excellent example of a capitalistic venture benefiting them...and the people who live here. Thank you Morses.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
I agree.... but find talking about "getting a life" on this site VERY amusing!
Hahaha...what can I say. I can talk about golf carts all day.

Old 02-12-2017, 12:23 PM
Veteran member

as far as price and service, you can't beat the crew at carts and clubs. they come to your house and do it all.Ted and his wife are the best to deal with. villages made me feel like I was at a car lot. I wouldn't go anywhere else.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
As much as it hurts to say it.....

...yours is the most common sense comment in the thread.
Hmmm. I may have to rethink my words.

JUST KIDDING!!
Old 02-12-2017, 03:10 PM
Email Reported As Spam

This thread got off topic . The OP intent was to explain that this controversy concerning mph settings was debated and apparently The Villages Golf stores discovered that their political application as to settings on golf carts coming to their shops was contested, at least as to gas carts.

The OP did not address mph as to electric carts.

Golf cart speed, in The Villages, has been a flashpoint issue for a long time. to my way of thinking it is really an non-issue, unless of course you have an owner who supersizes his cart to exceed 25mph or more.

The Villages has expanded to cover such a large area
that an increase in speed is needed to cover long distances. The Viilages boasts about the number golf courses made available and I desire to capitalize on them all .

Gas carts eliminate distance anxiety. With the population increases overcrowding on MMP's is a fact of life and if one were to do a study I'll make wager that golf carts are not averaging 17 mph on MMP's, probably less at times.

As to safety, inattention is the number 1 violation. The bete noir by residents who complain about fast carts are those same people who drag along at 15mph on the MMP, having an indepth conversation with their passenger, and take umbrage when a cart passes them .

I didn't die, I retired and I have many places to go and many people to meet.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Just be aware that in driving a cart that is capable of going over 20 MPH, you are according to Florida law, driving a low speed vehicle and not a golf cart. It does not matter that you are never going to go above 20, the fact that it can go above 20 determines the classification. Be prepared to properly license this LSV or take your chances on law enforcement not catching you. It will be a big money making opportunity for the Sumter Co police to simply stop and ticket all 2017 Yamaha carts for being unlicensed LSVs.
Except there is very limited enforcement.....same on cars. No enforcement on the MMP's.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 02-12-2017, 10:00 PM
Gold member

Don't forget to adjust the cables after a year. New ones stretch with use. You may be going 23 when new, down to 20.5 when broken in....
Old 02-12-2017, 11:30 PM
Platinum member
Exclamation The Law

I continue to be amused by all of the jail house lawyers on TOTV who tell us what the police cannot do.

The simple fact is that if you have a golf cart capable of exceeding 20 mph sitting in your garage it is legally not a golf cart. That doesn't mean you will be raided and ticketed, but in Florida it is not a golf cart, and when you operate it you are not operating a golf cart.

If you get out and drive that motor vehicle which is not a golf cart without proper registration, license tag, insurance, etc. and get caught the penalties can be severe.

Is it likely that you will be caught? No. BUT if you are in a crash and there are personal injuries you might pay a great price.

What about the dealer who raises the speed your cart will run? All he did is set it up so you could register it as a Low Speed Vehicle. YOU will pay the price if caught.

"“Golf cart” means a motor vehicle that is designed and manufactured for operation on a golf course for sporting or recreational purposes and that is not capable of exceeding speeds of 20 miles per hour." - Florida Statute 320.01, paragraph 22.

The issue is not how fast you drive it, but how fast it is capable of going.

Old 02-12-2017, 11:34 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Policy Change

I went for a cruise on Morse this morning in my '63 and was amazed by the vehicle ahead doing 35 + for 3 miles or more. I tried to keep up but held to the speed limit. I lost sight of it at the Stillwater roundabout and didn't see it again. It was a Yamaha golf cart wearing a red triangle on it's rear . Must of had a larger engine installed judging by the way it accelerated out of the roundabouts leaving all the automobiles in it's dust.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

No, just tampered with governor setting to raise the Rpm of the engine which increased top speed and torque. if you take the governor out the cart will eventually climb up to 35 MPH plus with bigger (taller) wheels (which also increases speed due to lower the gear ratio. Most of us are not that ? to do that or tamper with the 20MPH limit put on golf carts. It guess it was licensed and being used as LSV? It you held you speed limit to 35 MPH that's knida Rare, most cars when I'm out and about are going close to 40 or 40 plus.

I got passed by Par car on BV one day this summer I was going 38 and yes I was in the right hand lane.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
I continue to be amused by all of the jail house lawyers on TOTV who tell us what the police cannot do.

The simple fact is that if you have a golf cart capable of exceeding 20 mph sitting in your garage it is legally not a golf cart. That doesn't mean you will be raided and ticketed, but in Florida it is not a golf cart, and when you operate it you are not operating a golf cart.

If you get out and drive that motor vehicle which is not a golf cart without proper registration, license tag, insurance, etc. and get caught the penalties can be severe.

Is it likely that you will be caught? No. BUT if you are in a crash and there are personal injuries you might pay a great price.

What about the dealer who raises the speed your cart will run? All he did is set it up so you could register it as a Low Speed Vehicle. YOU will pay the price if caught.

"“Golf cart” means a motor vehicle that is designed and manufactured for operation on a golf course for sporting or recreational purposes and that is not capable of exceeding speeds of 20 miles per hour." - Florida Statute 320.01, paragraph 22.

The issue is not how fast you drive it, but how fast it is capable of going.

Very well said.

Tags
villages, yamaha, carts, set, golf

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.