Pre mature tire wear out on 2020 Quietech

Closed Thread
Old 06-16-2022, 08:46 AM
Default Rotation??

Does anybody out there rotate their cart tires??
Just wondering. 😎
Old 06-16-2022, 09:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

I like your idea, I had used a piece of metal supported halfway up the tires to check alignment on a previous cart
Old 06-16-2022, 10:57 AM
Default Yamaha tire wear

I’ve noticed on quite a few Yamaha carts have front tires that bow out at the bottom of the tire. They don’t seem to ride perpendicular to the cart path. Very noticeable when driving by them on the trails. This would certainly seem to add uneven wear on the inside of front tires. Not sure what would cause this, but it seems to be a significant problem.
Old 06-16-2022, 12:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRDave View Post
Just wondering. 😎

Every year.
Old 06-16-2022, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRDave View Post
Just wondering. 😎
Good question, I just change out the fronts.
Old 06-16-2022, 07:00 PM

I wore through a set of rear tires on a 2018 Yamaha in less than 3 years. the cart service company said bad tire wear is not uncommon in Yamaha's. One factor may be that both my wife and I are over weight. The rear suspension on these carts seems that when you put weight in the cart, it goes down making the axis between the hubs and the differential not a straight line. It seems the inside of the tire is lower than the outside in a loaded cart.

One more reason to eat more salads, I guess.
Old 06-16-2022, 07:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zendog3 View Post
I wore through a set of rear tires on a 2018 Yamaha in less than 3 years. the cart service company said bad tire wear is not uncommon in Yamaha's. One factor may be that both my wife and I are over weight. The rear suspension on these carts seems that when you put weight in the cart, it goes down making the axis between the hubs and the differential not a straight line. It seems the inside of the tire is lower than the outside in a loaded cart.

One more reason to eat more salads, I guess.
Tire pressure too low. At least 25 psi for 205-65-10 tires.
Old 06-16-2022, 07:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
Good question, I just change out the fronts.
Most of weight in rear tires, why need to rotate the every 6 months or year depending on usage. Use it lot every t months, not so much every year. IMO majority
Never get rotated and why rear tires wear out quicker.
Old 06-16-2022, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
Have a 2020 Yamaha Quietech with less than 200 hours on it. In 1st year saw reasonable tire wear on cart. Past couple of months noted that the right front tire is wearing heavily on the inside of the tire. Pressure is good on all 4 tires and this is a lot more severe than when I had a car with mis-aligned tires. Have a friend who had all 4 tires prematurely wear out 2X.

Have been told that Yamaha does have a suspension problem that they know about and will not fix and this IS NOT an alignment problem. Saw an old article/post about this problem and per that post this problem has been corrected in the 2018 model Does anyone have similar issues and if so was their a remedy.
For several years with the Yamama Quietech, they built them with significant negative camber on the front wheels. You can see this if you stand back and see the top of the front tires tilted in -- it's pretty dramatic. I sent the following picture of my 2018 Quietech front right tire with 7500 miles to Carts and Clubs, and they replied: "Unfortunately the front end wear you’re experiencing is normal on QuieTech models." The basic Quietech of those years does not have the ability to adjust camber, but Carts and Clubs said they can incorporate a kit of new parts with the ability to straighten the camber for $300. I've elected not to incorporate this kit because I'm speculating that Yamaha incorporated this negative camber for basic stability which I don't want to mess with. If you Google "Quietech Wheel Camber" you'll find more discussion on this.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0856.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	94227  
Old 06-16-2022, 11:12 PM
Gold member

Could be worse....

https://cdn.motor1.com/images/mgl/PM...2-02-20121.jpg

All newer Yamahas have negative camber dialed in. It is obvious.
Stability reasons I reckon.
Old 06-17-2022, 07:05 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aacosner View Post
For several years with the Yamama Quietech, they built them with significant negative camber on the front wheels. You can see this if you stand back and see the top of the front tires tilted in -- it's pretty dramatic. I sent the following picture of my 2018 Quietech front right tire with 7500 miles to Carts and Clubs, and they replied: "Unfortunately the front end wear you’re experiencing is normal on QuieTech models." The basic Quietech of those years does not have the ability to adjust camber, but Carts and Clubs said they can incorporate a kit of new parts with the ability to straighten the camber for $300. I've elected not to incorporate this kit because I'm speculating that Yamaha incorporated this negative camber for basic stability which I don't want to mess with. If you Google "Quietech Wheel Camber" you'll find more discussion on this.
Thanks for the informative answer to my question. My right front tire looks identical to yours. Some(and I will not name them) cart dealerships have claimed that there is not a problem with the tires. I have been told about this fix and contemplating having it done. I was comparing the suspension on a Star Cart and they definitely have a much better quality parts.
Old 06-18-2022, 05:02 PM
Sage

I bet put 8” rim/tires on it problem would magically disappear…..
Old 06-20-2022, 03:58 PM

OMB pal, get a life
Old 06-22-2022, 06:21 AM

In the end, the right tire pressure and alignment will fix the issue.
Old 06-26-2022, 03:38 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
Thanks for the informative answer to my question. My right front tire looks identical to yours. Some(and I will not name them) cart dealerships have claimed that there is not a problem with the tires. I have been told about this fix and contemplating having it done. I was comparing the suspension on a Star Cart and they definitely have a much better quality parts.
Had the cart repaired by the Yamaha dealer, Country Equipment. They pointed out to me that the front tires are angled in. They made an adjustment to the front end and the front tires are now more up right. They advised me that this will not affect handling of the cart and should alleviate the problem. Will monitor tire wear.

Not to change subject, but they replaced the bag liner(liner where the golf bag sits in) on the cart at same time. The Villages estimated cost at $250. This is a $40 part and needs to take out and re screw in 2 screws. They did not give me an itemization of the bill but there bill was signficantly less than $250.
Closed Thread

Tags
tire, problem, tires, wear, quietech

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.