Question about Discarding Lead Acid Batteries

Old 02-14-2024, 12:38 PM
Default Question about Discarding Lead Acid Batteries

I have 2 US 2000 batteries that have been sitting in my garage for approximately 18 months. I had replaced what I was told were 2 bad batteries in June 2022, but was never happy with how the cart ran, so in September 2022 I replaced all my batteries but kept the 2, thinking I would sell them, since they cost $180. My lazy ass never got around to selling them, and they've been sitting there ever since.

The research I've done would indicate that sitting that long uncharged would have ruined them. I am looking for the best and cheapest way to get rid of them. Any advice, other than "call Battery Boys", would be appreciated.
Old 02-14-2024, 12:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Some ideas:

- The location where you purchased the replacement batteries may have charged you a "core charge" that will be refunded if you bring in the old batteries that you replaced

- Less likely: perhaps a battery store will take them or even refund you a standard "core charge" amount even though you didn't purchase from there (or didn't recently purchase from there)

- Sumter County runs "amnesty days" a few times during the year where you can drop off certain materials that cannot be put into the trash. Batteries are one of the items that are accepted.

- I believe there is a Sumter County recycling center that will accept batteries

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 02-14-2024, 01:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

I agree with all of the previous suggestions, and I will add one more call one or more of the automotive stores and see if they will just take the batteries.
Old 02-14-2024, 08:34 PM
Gold member

Walmart or Sams will take them.
You won't get a core charge refund without a receipt though.

Last edited by NoMoSno; 02-14-2024 at 08:42 PM.
Old 02-14-2024, 08:41 PM

Call the auto parts places like Advance or Autozone and most of the time they will take them or even give you a store merch credit for them.
Old 02-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Some ideas:

- The location where you purchased the replacement batteries may have charged you a "core charge" that will be refunded if you bring in the old batteries that you replaced

- Less likely: perhaps a battery store will take them or even refund you a standard "core charge" amount even though you didn't purchase from there (or didn't recently purchase from there)

- Sumter County runs "amnesty days" a few times during the year where you can drop off certain materials that cannot be put into the trash. Batteries are one of the items that are accepted.

- I believe there is a Sumter County recycling center that will accept batteries

I would you have to have recipes? If not they will most likely charge the core charge?
Old 02-18-2024, 06:45 AM
Sage

When I have mail ordered new AGM batteries I have taken the old batteries to auto parts stores and received a store credit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSpasm View Post
I have 2 US 2000 batteries that have been sitting in my garage for approximately 18 months. I had replaced what I was told were 2 bad batteries in June 2022, but was never happy with how the cart ran, so in September 2022 I replaced all my batteries but kept the 2, thinking I would sell them, since they cost $180. My lazy ass never got around to selling them, and they've been sitting there ever since.

The research I've done would indicate that sitting that long uncharged would have ruined them. I am looking for the best and cheapest way to get rid of them. Any advice, other than "call Battery Boys", would be appreciated.
Old 02-18-2024, 06:10 PM
Thanked 1,120 Times in 246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSpasm View Post

First off, you should NEVER connect new batteries with old batteries in a series as the BMS (battery management system) whether built into into the batteries or onboard the charger may either under-charge the old batteries or over-charge the new ones, You risk overheating, permanently damaged batteries, and fire. Lithium batteries may catch fire more easily when mixed but lead acid batteries can overheat and be ruined.

Secondly, call the county refuse company and ask them about battery recycling and pickup or drop off.
Old 02-19-2024, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
First off, you should NEVER connect new batteries with old batteries in a series as the BMS (battery management system) whether built into into the batteries or onboard the charger may either under-charge the old batteries or over-charge the new ones, You risk overheating, permanently damaged batteries, and fire. Lithium batteries may catch fire more easily when mixed but lead acid batteries can overheat and be ruined.

Secondly, call the county refuse company and ask them about battery recycling and pickup or drop off.
I've had 2 different golf cart repair shops sell me replacement batteries, so the people I've dealt with in the business don't seem to have a problem with it. Is it ideal? No. But sometimes it's more economical to replace one or two bad batteries for $180 or $360 than to replace 8 for $1,440.

Tags
batteries, sitting, replaced, long, question

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.