Sales Tax?

Old 03-15-2024, 05:24 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
Please tell me how a used golf cart is exempt from Florida Sales Tax?

I'm not insinuating everyone or even anyone actual pays Sales Tax, but I can't find anyplace in the laws or regulations that exempt a used golf cart. If you buy one from a dealer, you surely have to pay sales tax ... where does the supposed exemption come from, for "private sales" ?

Low Speed Vehicles - Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles

Chapter 320 Section 01 - 2021 Florida Statutes - The Florida Senate

What transactions are subject to the sales tax in Florida?
Personally I like the word “private” in private sale. Suggest the OP keep it that way. The golf cart does not need to be licensed or registered. Some questions are best not asked. This might be one of them. Just saying……
Old 03-15-2024, 05:28 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
It doesn’t end. Welcome to fuzzy municipal math. In some states you buy a car, pay sales tax....then every year you pay excise tax (essentially sales tax in perpetuity....depreciation factored in) on said car.
When you buy a car in Maine you pay tax on sales price (obviously). Thereafter on an annual basis you are charged registration based on the declining value of the car. Crazy.
Old 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2inOR View Post
Just think of all those garage sales, and the amount of sales tax that is collected. Not!
But you may notice that the folks in that run the “estate sales” do charge sales tax.
Old 03-15-2024, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgeez1 View Post
Is there a sales tax to pay when you purchase a used golf cart from a private individual who has posted a classified ad?

Thanks.
I don’t believe a golf cart resales by private citizen is taxable. Unless running as a business. Vehicles that “require” registration (street legal golf carts) are taxable. . See this article regarding FL sales tax exemptions for “occasional sales”by private persons (ie garage sales).

FL Sales Tax: Occasional Isolated Sales Exemptions.
Old 03-15-2024, 05:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,380 Times in 2,520 Posts

Even our UK tax addicted government, do not claim any tax on private sales.
But, anything from a business, they are there with their hand out.
20% as well.

That is why I will only deal with tradesmen who will accept cash.
I can't dodge it with materials, but I refuse to pay it for labor.
The government still tax our pensions and savings, that's enough as far as I am concerned.

Last edited by Two Bills; 03-15-2024 at 05:51 AM.
Old 03-15-2024, 05:48 AM

Golf carts are not required to be titled or registered and, therefore, are not required to be insured with PIP and PDL insurance coverage. Golf cart operators are not required to have a driver license; however, to operate a golf cart on designated public roadways, a person must be 14 years or older. Really simple to understand..
Old 03-15-2024, 06:05 AM
Veteran member

State no, but federal, maybe! I think this passed in 1970. Remember any bank deposit over $10,000 is reported to the IRS, then some form 8xxx has to be filled out. What people have had to do is prove to the IRS this was not capital gains/gift, which means if you sell your golf cart for less than what you pay for it, then you need to prove this if audited and you pay no tax, but if you sold a golf cart for $15,000 but paid $12,000, they will be looking for a tax on the $3000. Keep your records of your large purchases
Old 03-15-2024, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbaronie View Post
I could never understand why when I buy anything used I should pay sales tax. When retailers sell new they collect sales tax and pass it on to the state. That should be it! Why does the state get to reek the benefit on the same item if it is resold over and over? Where does it end?
I don’t disagree - I’ve always felt it is double, triple, etc. taxation.
Old 03-15-2024, 06:29 AM
Default Slang

Please remember......... a cart is something you push or pull, a
car is something you drive, the slang of golf cart has been used over the years by the less educated, the proper term is golf car. You can license plate a golf car, no need to license plate your push or pull cart.

The word private means, having no official or public role or position, so if your private sale hits the IRS lights it is no longer private.

Slang can be confusing, BUT, proper English is definitive.
Quote:
Is there a sales tax to pay when you purchase a used golf cart from a private individual who has posted a classified ad?

Thanks.
Old 03-15-2024, 06:35 AM

Quote:

Thanks.
Many years ago in Florida, I sold a used projection TV via a classified ad. No sales tax was involved in that transaction; there is no mechanism to collect the sales tax for such transactions. If I sold a used motor vehicle to an individual, the registration of that vehicle would have to be changed, and I suspect a sales tax would have to be paid at that time. Since golf carts (and old projection TVs) do not have state of Florida registrations, there is no mechanism to collect sales tax.
Old 03-15-2024, 06:40 AM

Quote:

Thanks.
As you describe (assuming the individual is not in business as a dealer of used golf carts), the purchase is exempt from Florida sales and use tax under the Florida Administrative Code as an ‘Occasional or Isolated Sales or Transactions Involving Tangible Personal Property or Services‘. Below is a link to the rule.

12A-1.037 : Occasional or Isolated Sales or Transactions Involving Tangible Personal Property or Services - Florida Administrative Rules, Law, Code, Register - FAC, FAR, eRulemaking
Old 03-15-2024, 06:40 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,046 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy and Ed View Post
Personally I like the word “private” in private sale. Suggest the OP keep it that way. The golf cart does not need to be licensed or registered. Some questions are best not asked. This might be one of them. Just saying……

I think you're exactly right.

I think by law, there is Sales Tax on a private sale, used Golf Cart. I can't find anything to the contrary. That said, I don't anyone really pays that sales tax and as long as it never has to be "registered" in any way, I suppose it's reasonably safe ... unless the Florida Taxing authorities, are read TOTV.
Old 03-15-2024, 06:42 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbaronie View Post
I could never understand why when I buy anything used I should pay sales tax. When retailers sell new they collect sales tax and pass it on to the state. That should be it! Why does the state get to reek the benefit on the same item if it is resold over and over? Where does it end?
Then ask yourself why inheritance taxes exist. A person pays social security, federal, state etc for years and years on their income. Then they pass away and wham, the person who collects pays taxes on that. Sad, but true.

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning
Old 03-15-2024, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy and Ed View Post
But you may notice that the folks in that run the “estate sales” do charge sales tax.
Because they do more than 2 a year and are a legitimate business that makes a profit on their work. When I rented out my Village home for a couple of years (less than 6 month lease), I registered with FL and collected sales tax and submitted it to the state within the month after the tenant moved out. I’m going to guess if your buy old furniture, fix and refinish it and sell it, you would collect sales tax and also pay some income tax. Probably the same as if you sold golf carts out of your driveway. So buying the used golf cart from your neighbor, no title and they are not in the business of selling golf carts, no sales tax is collected.
Old 03-15-2024, 06:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident View Post
I don’t believe a golf cart resales by private citizen is taxable. Unless running as a business. Vehicles that “require” registration (street legal golf carts) are taxable. . See this article regarding FL sales tax exemptions for “occasional sales”by private persons (ie garage sales).

FL Sales Tax: Occasional Isolated Sales Exemptions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinner1001 View Post
As you describe (assuming the individual is not in business as a dealer of used golf carts), the purchase is exempt from Florida sales and use tax under the Florida Administrative Code as an ‘Occasional or Isolated Sales or Transactions Involving Tangible Personal Property or Services‘. Below is a link to the rule.

12A-1.037 : Occasional or Isolated Sales or Transactions Involving Tangible Personal Property or Services - Florida Administrative Rules, Law, Code, Register - FAC, FAR, eRulemaking
Thank you

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough

Tags
sales, tax, individual, private, golf

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.