Sales Tax?

Old 03-16-2024, 08:00 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
Temporary at best.

Despite their efforts to remain an "innocent 3rd party", eBay now is required to collect sales tax on all transactions.

Despite AirBnb's argument that they're only an innocent 3rd party or conduit, they're being forced to collect hotel taxes.

As we move towards a cashless society, the ability for big brother to track sales/purchases, increases exponentially. Collecting sales tax on a used vehicle when it is "Registered", is merely an expedient solution for taxing authorities, at this point in time.

If you buy a used car from a private party and never register it, you don't have to pay a sales tax? That defies logic. It's merely common practice, because it's the expedient solution.
Agree but the latter I disagree with. If a vehicle is purchased privately and sits on someone’s property unregistered and uninsured....it’s a planter.
Old 03-16-2024, 08:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinner1001 View Post
Florida corporation income tax return.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
But I am not incorporated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinner1001 View Post
But you could be incorporated… if you just paid your fair share. /sarc
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
What do I incorporate as - financial advisor ? /sarc eieio
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Note that, when you incorporate, you create a separate entity, the "corporation". So, techically, a person doesn't "incorporate".
A person is not a corporation and does not own a corporation. The corporation is a separate, taxed entity.
So the corporation pays the sales tax on the golf cart. Look at that - now two of us owe sales tax. I purchased the golf cart as an individual and then I sold it to the corporation ? All I ever wanted was my own golf cart not a ride share.
Old 03-16-2024, 08:24 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,195 Times in 761 Posts

Next time I have a garage sale, I'm charging you sales tax.... there, now we're legal.....
Old 03-16-2024, 08:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlorida View Post
Next time I have a garage sale, I'm charging you sales tax.... there, now we're legal.....
OK - Providing you send it in to the state. Pocketing the money would be a "illegal".

Last edited by rustyp; 03-16-2024 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-16-2024, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
Please tell me how a used golf cart is exempt from Florida Sales Tax?

I'm not insinuating everyone or even anyone actual pays Sales Tax, but I can't find anyplace in the laws or regulations that exempt a used golf cart. If you buy one from a dealer, you surely have to pay sales tax ... where does the supposed exemption come from, for "private sales" ?

Low Speed Vehicles - Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles

Chapter 320 Section 01 - 2021 Florida Statutes - The Florida Senate

What transactions are subject to the sales tax in Florida?
It's the same when you buy furniture or other items from private people. There is no reporting, but yes you are require to collect tge tax if you are the seller

Tags
sales, tax, individual, private, golf

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.