Seat Belts Again

Closed Thread
Old 10-22-2015, 03:19 PM
Platinum member
Default Seat Belts Again

After the most recent golf cart accident, it appears as if seat belts saved some lives. If this has prompted anyone to install seatbelts, I reccoment Bill Colgan. He did both of our Club Cars and is reasonability priced.

Bill specializes in Yahamas and Club Cars. Give him a call at 352-280-0141. He will come to your home to install. Takes about 30 minutes!
Old 10-22-2015, 03:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
After the most recent golf cart accident, it appears as if seat belts saved some lives. If this has prompted anyone to install seatbelts, I reccoment Bill Colgan. He did both of our Club Cars and is reasonability priced.

Bill specializes in Yahamas and Club Cars. Give him a call at 352-280-0141. He will come to your home to install. Takes about 30 minutes!
Two people were in the golf cart, bot were wearing seat belts. One died on sustained serious injuries. I don't know that I would conclude that a seatbelt saved any lives in this instance.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:04 PM
Veteran member

That was more severe than most accidents. I would have to check, but I would think that most golf cart accidents are things like hitting the curb, a cart turns too quickly and the passenger falls out, one cart hits another etc.

I have seat belts on our carts, if nothing else, at least they'll find the bodies.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:32 PM
Sage

Just because someone died in an accident and was wearing a seat belt doesn't mean seatbelts don't work for any accidents. Do what you want, but you're chances WITH a seat belt are much in your favor just as in your car.
This cart was t-boned by a van on the drivers side. The seatbelt will help in situations where you can be thrown out of the cart. In this case the driver was hit directly by the van on the drivers side.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:00 PM
Gold member

With all the crazy drivers here in the Villages (not you of course) one could easily get bumped in a parking lot or just going down the road. If that happens the chances are you will go flying out of the cart resulting in some type of injury. It does not matter who's fault it is the end result will be the same. Seat belts are a good idea. I don't have them on the front seats but do on the rear seat. I will be getting them in the front too.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

If you make a left turn from the cart lane, you need to be driving a tank. Seat belts don't give you the right to make that turn.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,043 Times in 369 Posts

I agree that in the accident on Odell, the driver took the brunt of the force of impact directly to his left side. It is very possible if not probable that the passenger was spared from being thrown to the pavement because she was wearing a seat/shoulder restraint. I wish her well in her recovery.
For us, the choice to install seatbelts and use them was the right thing to do. It is of course a choice.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

The real issue involved with the most recent golf cart death proves once again that GOLF CARTS do not belong on the roadway with motor vehicles.

I will never understand why people spend the extra money to have a cart be street legal...meaning insurance and registration....to go 5 miles per hour faster....and expose ones self to significantly more danger.

Golf carts designed for the rigors of the golf course....nothing more. The law was stretched by adding lights and turn signals, etc to drive aftem on the MMP after dark.

To stretch that minimal golf course design to allow travel among vehicles that outweigh, out run and over run a golf cart with EASE......just makes one wonder how it was allowed and why some would expose themselves to the significant dangers.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
I agree that in the accident on Odell, the driver took the brunt of the force of impact directly to his left side. It is very possible if not probable that the passenger was spared from being thrown to the pavement because she was wearing a seat/shoulder restraint. I wish her well in her recovery.
For us, the choice to install seatbelts and use them was the right thing to do. It is of course a choice.

I consider adding seat belts to our cart one of our best investments - especially for $129 the set.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
I consider adding seat belts to our cart one of our best investments - especially for $129 the set.
I hate to be "that guy". But as a bike rider I think a bike helmet is just as essential. I know it saved me a concussion last year when I accidentally got my legs tumbled up in a bike trailer, fell down backwards and cracked the back of my head.
Remember our Dad's use to say "a word to the wise is sufficient?" I'll bet they got that from some WWII drill Sargent.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
The real issue involved with the most recent golf cart death proves once again that GOLF CARTS do not belong on the roadway with motor vehicles.

I will never understand why people spend the extra money to have a cart be street legal...meaning insurance and registration....to go 5 miles per hour faster....and expose ones self to significantly more danger.

Golf carts designed for the rigors of the golf course....nothing more. The law was stretched by adding lights and turn signals, etc to drive aftem on the MMP after dark.

To stretch that minimal golf course design to allow travel among vehicles that outweigh, out run and over run a golf cart with EASE......just makes one wonder how it was allowed and why some would expose themselves to the significant dangers.
I agree "Tis a puzzlement"
Old 10-22-2015, 07:07 PM
Sage
Default Seat Belts Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I hate to be "that guy". But as a bike rider I think a bike helmet is just as essential. I know it saved me a concussion last year when I accidentally got my legs tumbled up in a bike trailer, fell down backwards and cracked the back of my head.
Remember our Dad's use to say "a word to the wise is sufficient?" I'll bet they got that from some WWII drill Sargent.

I understand completely. I gave up riding when I almost got killed in Miami.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post

Bill did both of our carts. I worked enough accidents in my career to know that seatbelts do save SOME lives. But, wearing seatbelts shouldn't give people a superman complex to drive foolishly or recklessly. This was an accident that could have been easily prevented if not for the cart drivers inattentiveness.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Bill did both of our carts. I worked enough accidents in my career to know that seatbelts do save SOME lives. But, wearing seatbelts shouldn't give people a superman complex to drive foolishly or recklessly. This was an accident that could have been easily prevented if not for the cart drivers inattentiveness.
As much as we all hate to admit, it appears you are absolutely correct.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post

I agree, since this a golf cart community there should be parking lots built outside TV and all motor vehicles required to part out there...... The driver made a fatal mistake and that is sad on many levels, but his choice to drive a cart was his choice, as it is for 60,000 of us. Since you don't drive a cart, please don't pontificate to those of us that do. We make choices for us, as you make choices for you.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Closed Thread

Tags
bill, install, seat, club, belts, cars, specializes, yahamas, priced, reasonability, home, takes, minutes, call, 352-280-0141, give, colgan, accident, cart, appears, golf, recent, saved, reccoment, seatbelts

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.