Seat Belts Again

Closed Thread
Old 10-22-2015, 10:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
I agree, since this a golf cart community there should be parking lots built outside TV and all motor vehicles required to part out there...... The driver made a fatal mistake and that is sad on many levels, but his choice to drive a cart was his choice, as it is for 60,000 of us. Since you don't drive a cart, please don't pontificate to those of us that do. We make choices for us, as you make choices for you.
Where was it stated I do not drive a goff cart? It isn't ! And I do!
My commentary was not pontificating at all. There was no intent, not even a thought about challenging anyone's decision to drive where they want, when or how.
I fully support to each his/her own.
It does not mean I have to agree.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Seat belts are like chicken soup. They may not help but thry won't hurt.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Where was it stated I do not drive a goff cart? It isn't ! And I do!
My commentary was not pontificating at all. There was no intent, not even a thought about challenging anyone's decision to drive where they want, when or how.
I fully support to each his/her own.
It does not mean I have to agree.

I understood what you meant and was surprised when Jomar said what he said.

I think that someone lost their life and we are once again reminded of a lot of very sad facts about life being precious.....and far shorter than it used to be.

Please everyone drive very carefully. We are getting crowded and a lot of new folks are driving carts and a lot of new folks are driving our roadways and well we are older, some of us a lot older.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I'm not against seat belts. In fact I would agree that they are probably very useful when hitting a curb, taking turns too fast or getting "bumped" by another vehicle.

I think that it's a stretch however when people see an accident like this and jump to the conclusion that a seat belt saved anyone's life. I think that the woman is probably alive because she was cushioned from the impact by her husband's body. And don't forget, she is very seriously injured.

I think that in bad collisions it's probably 50/50 whether or not a seat belt will help or not. If a cart gets hit by a car or truck and is dragged for a distance a person might be better off being thrown from the cart. There are circumstances where remaining in the cart might cause further injuries.

Still, I am probably going to install seat belts.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:46 AM
Veteran member

Maybe "street legal" golf carts should be banned?
Old 10-23-2015, 08:05 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Street legal golf carts were created because of the LSV statutes. LSV came into being to promote clean energy electric vehicles. Notice that there are no gasoline powered street legal golf carts. A few years ago, the federal government was basically paying for the price of these LSVs through alternative energy rebates. After some bad publicity, the feds changed the rebate program to a much smaller/reasonable rebate (10% of purchase price, I think). Now, I think, the rebate excludes "golf carts". But, the LSV statutes are still on the books, so manufacturers are still building them.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
Street legal golf carts were created because of the LSV statutes. LSV came into being to promote clean energy electric vehicles. Notice that there are no gasoline powered street legal golf carts. A few years ago, the federal government was basically paying for the price of these LSVs through alternative energy rebates. After some bad publicity, the feds changed the rebate program to a much smaller/reasonable rebate (10% of purchase price, I think). Now, I think, the rebate excludes "golf carts". But, the LSV statutes are still on the books, so manufacturers are still building them.
But there are gas powered street legal carts. Or maybe I have the semantics wrong.
If there is a difference in an LSV and a gas powered street legal cart?
Old 10-23-2015, 08:57 AM
Sage

LOW SPEED VEHICLES (LSVs) Q&A #8
What is the difference between a golf cart and a Low Speed Vehicle?

Primarily, a golf cart is designed with a top speed of twenty miles per hour or less, while a Low Speed Vehicle is defined as a four wheeled electric vehicle whose top speed is greater than 20 mph, but less than 25 mph. Golf carts that can go over 20 mph because of their original equipment or due to post-sale modifications are considered LSVs. Golf Cart and LSV Questions & Answers - Golf Cart Safety

seems like it can be either gas or electric
Old 10-23-2015, 09:00 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
Maybe "street legal" golf carts should be banned?
street legal carts are safer than golf carts. ie....4 wheel hydraulic brakes/shatterproof windshield,emergency brake,wipers,heavier frame and rollbars.seat belts,heavier suspension etc etc etc
Old 10-23-2015, 09:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by red tail View Post
street legal carts are safer than golf carts. ie....4 wheel hydraulic brakes/shatterproof windshield,emergency brake,wipers,heavier frame and rollbars.seat belts,heavier suspension etc etc etc
But still no match against all other street/roadway vehicles.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:08 AM
Sage

Quote:
I agree with you. You really don't get much for your money especially when it comes to safety in a golf cart. But it is safer than a bike.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:52 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts
Default No wipers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I agree with you. You really don't get much for your money especially when it comes to safety in a golf cart. But it is safer than a bike.
I think you are exactly correct. However, I see many Street Legal carts that do not have windshield wipers. Perhaps an exception for The Villages? Perhaps "they" made other exceptions too.

Since a Street Legal is suppose to go only 25mph, it's seems very dangerous to me on a road with 35mph speed limit. I would not want a car/truck to run into the back of me because I was going much slower than the traffic.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Since a Street Legal is suppose to go only 25mph, it's seems very dangerous to me on a road with 35mph speed limit. I would not want a car/truck to run into the back of me because I was going much slower than the traffic.
Same can be said for those who drive their cars at 25 mph
Old 10-23-2015, 10:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Number 1 cause of golf cart fatalities in The Villages - The Tee Time system
Old 10-23-2015, 10:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
Are you thinking of GEM cars in particular?
This seems like a pretty good deal, doesn't it?

2015 GEM e2 Electric Passenger Vehicle : Features
Closed Thread

Tags
bill, install, seat, club, belts, cars, specializes, yahamas, priced, reasonability, home, takes, minutes, call, 352-280-0141, give, colgan, accident, cart, appears, golf, recent, saved, reccoment, seatbelts

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.