Seat Belts Again

Closed Thread
Old 10-23-2015, 10:46 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Are you thinking of GEM cars in particular?
This seems like a pretty good deal, doesn't it?

2015 GEM e2 Electric Passenger Vehicle : Features
that's a better deal than a golf cart for the same money for sure!
Old 10-23-2015, 11:46 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by red tail View Post
that's a better deal than a golf cart for the same money for sure!
Did you look at the specs?
http://polaris.hs.llnwd.net/o40/lev/...ecsheet-e2.pdf
Old 10-23-2015, 12:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Cool vehicle, but the range sucks.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
street legal carts are safer than golf carts. ie....4 wheel hydraulic brakes/shatterproof windshield,emergency brake,wipers,heavier frame and rollbars.seat belts,heavier suspension etc etc etc
You don't have to have 4 wheel hydraulic brakes, emergency brake, wipers, heavier frame, rollbars, or heavier suspension to have a street legal cart.
Old 10-23-2015, 01:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyD View Post
Cool vehicle, but the range sucks.
35 miles is not enough from here to there in TV? The GEM's are special because their charge is on board [I think]. So if you go to a friends house, and feeling a little "undercharged" you could plug it in.
Old 10-23-2015, 01:43 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
35 miles is not enough from here to there in TV? The GEM's are special because their charge is on board [I think]. So if you go to a friends house, and feeling a little "undercharged" you could plug it in.

I never allow my gas vehicle to go below 3/4. It's an OCD thing, I'd freak out seeing a low battery warning light. Such is my life.
Old 10-23-2015, 02:05 PM
Email Reported As Spam

I just bought a new cart. The dealer did not push for seat belts in fact his tone and manner left me with the impression that he was not impressed with them as a safety feature....nor am I. I am more inclined to believe a 3 point system is much better than just a lap belt.

In any event my wife would feel more secure and so I had the dealer add seat belts...seat belts that she actually uses.

As to accident in general and the accident which created this thread in particular let me say this.

Call it fate. call it a miracle. call it luck but I inspected wrecked vehicles for many years. Some so twisted you can't tell their cars but just a hunk of metal and people walked away without a scratch. Some hardly damaged and a person or people died.

I've investigated accidents were people were thrown from their cars and died from the impact and some but for the fact that they were thrown from the vehicle and not still in it that would have been crushed like a bug and again walked away without a scratch. I've seen some folks with seat belts on that faced death and were glad they had their seat belts on and some who were injured because they had worn seat belts..One guy whose tractor trailer overturned was hanging by his seat belt and because of that damaged his spin and was totally paralyzed
Old 10-23-2015, 02:11 PM
Gold member

Quote:
tomberlin also has on board charger
Old 10-23-2015, 03:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
Maybe "street legal" golf carts should be banned?
The two fatal accidents in the past year or so did not involve street legal carts.

Why the suggestion to ban them?

And heavier suspension, four wheel brakes, windshield wipers and all the rest won't help if the driver turns into an oncoming car.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
tomberlin also has on board charger
Par Car also has an on board charger.....range used so far is 60 miles on a charge with plenty left. I will not do 60 ever again.....still questioning why I did it the first time.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 10-23-2015, 05:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I understood what you meant and was surprised when Jomar said what he said.

I think that someone lost their life and we are once again reminded of a lot of very sad facts about life being precious.....and far shorter than it used to be.

Please everyone drive very carefully. We are getting crowded and a lot of new folks are driving carts and a lot of new folks are driving our roadways and well we are older, some of us a lot older.
Then I guess I read his post incorrectly.....I though he was taking shots at people that spend money for street legal and expressed not understanding why anyone would expose themselves to the danger. If that was just musing then I made the wrong assumption and apologize.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 10-23-2015, 10:26 PM
Gold member

My husband's Star cart has a 60 mile range. I have a Ca Roadster with a 50 mile range.

The Gem range is really low for a new model electric cart. (or SLV) If you go from Brownwood to Spanish Spring and play a round of golf, then head to the Lake Sumter for dancing and dinner, you might be hard pressed to get home to Brownwood in a Gem, if that is their true range.

The onboard charger is really not a big deal. It is nice because you always know where it is and it is one less thing to clutter up your garage. But you can't just plug in at a friends for a couple of hrs and get sufficient juice.

When you charge a golf cart, it takes 5-8 hrs to properly charge. if you plug in for an hr or two, Battery Boys explained that it would actually decrease the charge of the batteries as well as the life of the batteries to do that.

We just routinely plug in our carts at night. Like locking the doors and turning out the lights. In the morning they are good to go.

We have never been stuck, like many gas owners claim. I take that back, Hubby picked up a nail and had a flat tire. Had to call **** Aid for a tire repair. But our electric carts are awesome. Sure wouldn't trade them for gas.

Different strokes for different folks!
Old 10-24-2015, 07:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I suspect that a lot of people who buy electric are environmentalists.

I reuse, recycle and try not to waste, but I trust gas. And when I am miles from home and a thunderstorm is threatening, I like being sure I am not running out of fuel.
Old 10-24-2015, 07:45 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I suspect that a lot of people who buy electric are environmentalists.

I reuse, recycle and try not to waste, but I trust gas. And when I am miles from home and a thunderstorm is threatening, I like being sure I am not running out of fuel.
what is the difference between topping off your batteries vs topping off your gas tank?
Old 10-24-2015, 07:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
what is the difference between topping off your batteries vs topping off your gas tank?

As I said. We have one of each.

Why do you prefer electric? Doesn't smell and is quieter?

I prefer gas because it gets me where I'm goin'.

Tags
bill, install, seat, club, belts, cars, specializes, yahamas, priced, reasonability, home, takes, minutes, call, 352-280-0141, give, colgan, accident, cart, appears, golf, recent, saved, reccoment, seatbelts

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.