Alternative to an Atomic?

Closed Thread
Old 05-27-2022, 08:24 AM
Default Alternative to an Atomic?

Hello, we will be moving in the middle of June. We will be buying 2 carts, I have decided that one will be a Yamaha for my wife to use for golfing. I really like the idea and the looks of the Atomic. With a base price of almost $19k with lithium batteries, I was wondering if there is an alternative that can be bought locally. I see an internet company that sells a similar looking car for almost half the price (not lithium). Anyone with experience? Thanks
Old 05-27-2022, 08:57 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

I have used my cart for over 2 years without any issues and normally go 45~50 miles between a charge. A model very similar to mine is sold by the firm behind Russell Stover on SR44.

Star Golf Carts | Crown Carts | United States
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	cart2.jpg
Views:	4643
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	93953  
Old 05-27-2022, 09:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioshooter View Post
Hello, we will be moving in the middle of June. We will be buying 2 carts, I have decided that one will be a Yamaha for my wife to use for golfing. I really like the idea and the looks of the Atomic. With a base price of almost $19k with lithium batteries, I was wondering if there is an alternative that can be bought locally. I see an internet company that sells a similar looking car for almost half the price (not lithium). Anyone with experience? Thanks
I would not consider an electric cart unless it has lithium phosphate batteries. There are various types of lithium ion batteries. Lithium phosphate batteries are much safer in the line up of lithium types. Other pluses are extremely long life, < half the weight of lead acid, hold their charge at peak voltage for 80% + of discharge, and no maintenance. Disadvantage cost is 4x lead acid but if you weigh out the life it is a wash with lots more advantages.

Lithium iron phosphate vs lithium-ion: differences and advantages

It is not the easiest to understand new battery technology in a two minute course. Above is a link that will help start you.

Again I would not buy a brand new electric cart today without understanding battery technologies on the market available today. That is going to take a little effort.

Last edited by rustyp; 05-28-2022 at 06:20 AM. Reason: accuracy
Old 05-27-2022, 09:25 AM

We have an Evolution, we bought at The Villages Discount Golf cart on 466 near Morse. We bought a 4 seater with an 180ah battery and I can go up to 80 miles according to them. I've driven it 60 and still had about 30% of the battery left. You can probably get a 2 seater for about $11k I would guess.....
Old 05-27-2022, 09:29 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,722 Times in 665 Posts

If by alternative you mean meets all the specs including legal on golf courses, then I think Atomic is it for now, but there are a lot of Chinese models starting to show up - maybe someone knows those. But, I would recommend the Atomic - AC, windows, can be street legal, etc. Lots of features for not much more than that custom golf cart.

There appears to be a dealer in Wildwood which part of The Villages is in.

Atomic Cool Kartz
Old 05-27-2022, 09:32 AM

So there is at least one alternative, and thanks rustyp for the heads up on battery types.
Old 05-27-2022, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinSE View Post
If by alternative you mean meets all the specs including legal on golf courses, then I think Atomic is it for now, but there are a lot of Chinese models starting to show up - maybe someone knows those. But, I would recommend the Atomic - AC, windows, can be street legal, etc. Lots of features for not much more than that custom golf cart.

There appears to be a dealer in Wildwood which part of The Villages is in.

Atomic Cool Kartz
Thanks, the A/C and windows is the attraction. I have talked to them on the phone, they are also made in China.
Old 05-27-2022, 01:56 PM

Icon makes a nice EV; unfortunately they are not yet available with lithium batteries. The owner of Icon also currently also owns a lithium battery company.
Old 05-27-2022, 02:30 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioshooter View Post
Thanks, the A/C and windows is the attraction. I have talked to them on the phone, they are also made in China.
Yes, they are. My comment was meant to say, there are OTHER EVs coming in from China - a lot. Personally, I have no problem with Chinese products. I purchase based on the product quality and not the country of original. But then, everyone here hates me anyway, so what one more reason - LOL!
Old 05-27-2022, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hape2Bhr View Post
Icon makes a nice EV; unfortunately they are not yet available with lithium batteries. The owner of Icon also currently also owns a lithium battery company.
I searched Icon EV and found a golf cart company from Tampa. It appears they only make open carts, I want an enclosed with A/C. Thanks
Old 05-27-2022, 03:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,089 Times in 2,750 Posts

Our alternative is when we want doors, A/C, heat, windshield wipers, etc…., we take the car.
Old 05-27-2022, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Our alternative is when we want doors, A/C, heat, windshield wipers, etc…., we take the car.
Good for you.
Old 05-27-2022, 03:56 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I certainly can not disagree with that. I am debating which to buy still, and the attraction to me is the AC on a golf cart - so, I can take it on the course. But, you can get a really nice little compact car for almost the same price and take it to the Keys or Atlanta or where ever, so it is not clear to me where we will end up. I was kind of hoping Tesla would make golf cart - LOL!

Another use I have for a golf cart is photography. There are MANY awesome places to shoot photo's around TV and most of them are either a mile walk or a short dive on a golf cart. Real cars have no where to park close to so many.
Old 05-28-2022, 04:18 AM
Veteran member

In regard to a Yamaha , do they have a new body style ? Seems the current one is very old style , I think I would like a newer look .
Old 05-28-2022, 05:44 AM

This is a little off your requested information, but if I were you, I'd move here, buy the Yahama cart, drive it awhile and decide if you really want a cart that had AC and doors you have to open and close each time you get in and out. Driving a cart that you can just pop in and out of, get the wind in your face, and enjoy the current weather is a joy to behold IMHO. Sure, it's hot in the summer here, but after you're here a year you acclimate to the warmer temps and just learn to deal with them. You may find you don't want to be in AC all the time while you're out and about. A Yamaha with a solid enclosure gives you all the freedom of being in the breezes and also closing it up in an instant when the weather changes. That's a huge plus over the Sunbrella canvas enclosures. Wait and decide on the Atomic Cart after living here is my reccomendation...
Closed Thread

Tags
alternative, lithium, price, atomic, similar

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.