Slowest Golf Cart in The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 01-09-2012, 02:36 PM
Default Speeding carts ---- illegal acts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brostholder View Post
I have not passed a single cart and have been passed by scores of non street legal carts.
We were in TV over the Christmas Holidays and had the same happen to us. We were passed alot. I checked and our 2010 Yamaha is averaging 21-22mph. People were passing us like we were going backwards !!!!! If it's illegal to make the cart go faster, why are so many doing this illegal act. I'm being forced into breaking laws....
Old 01-09-2012, 02:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarnspinner View Post
Just wondering if "souping up" a golf cart to get "more power" nullifies the insurance coverage on the cart and injuries. If the cart is not registered and licensed as street legal and is on the cart trails and going lickety-split, it sounds like an easy out for the insurance companies to me.

Yarnspinner
Yarnspinner, You are correct. Our golf cart insurance is for a golf cart only. If the cart has the "capability" of exceeding 20 mph, it is no longer a golf cart, but it is an unregistered vehicle. In the event of an accident, the insurance companies routinely have the cart examined. If it has been modified, they deny the claim. In the event of serious injury or death, your retirement in paradise could be dramatically endangered.

I wonder if a "street legal" cart that has the capability of exceeding 25 mph could also lose its designation as a "street legal" vehicle.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:30 PM
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post
Yarnspinner, You are correct. Our golf cart insurance is for a golf cart only. If the cart has the "capability" of exceeding 20 mph, it is no longer a golf cart, but it is an unregistered vehicle. In the event of an accident, the insurance companies routinely have the cart examined. If it has been modified, they deny the claim. In the event of serious injury or death, your retirement in paradise could be dramatically endangered.

I wonder if a "street legal" cart that has the capability of exceeding 25 mph could also lose its designation as a "street legal" vehicle.
Thanks for the information, Indydealmaker. I don't get it with people who retire in the next best thing to paradise, then jeopardize it all by doing something stupid like souping up a golf cart. A GOLF CART!

In my little EZ Go electric about all I pass are little old ladies on bicycles going uphill. (Apologies to little old ladies on bicycles.)
Old 01-09-2012, 04:19 PM
Email Reported As Spam

I have not experienced in the slightest degree the amount or extent of golf cart passing explained in these posts. For one thing there are far too many pedestrians, and bicylist on the golf paths to warrant such passing and for another a long line of slower carts that makes passing difficult.

I can see why so folks want speedier golf carts given the distnaces some will travel to paly golf or go to a town center. Can you imagine how long it would take a resident living on the north side to travel to the new town center being built on Rte 44.

Because of distances and because The Villages pushes this as a golf cart coomunity their will be heavy pressure on increasing speed for golf carts which will necessiate changes to golf carts paths
Old 01-09-2012, 05:25 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarnspinner View Post
Just wondering if "souping up" a golf cart to get "more power" nullifies the insurance coverage on the cart and injuries. If the cart is not registered and licensed as street legal and is on the cart trails and going lickety-split, it sounds like an easy out for the insurance companies to me.

Yarnspinner
Excellent point, yarnspinner. When I recently changed insurers I signed a document stating no additional drivers in household, no drivers under X age, not used for commercial, etc. One of the "etc's" said the vehicle had not been modified. I do not know the exact terminology but it gave the insurer a lot of options. Based on that wording I would not attempt to modify a golf cart in order that it would be capable of speed in excess 20 MPH. I would not take a chance of filing a claim and have it denied.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:50 PM
Veteran member

Our golfcart does 20.5 MPH. We are amazed how many people pass us out with their souped up carts. It seems that some of the carts can hit high 20's or low 30mph and they are not Street Legal!!! What's the rush??? Bailey Trail and St. Charles are where I experience these NASCAR drivers. These streets are busy enough with cars and trucks, and they think nothing of coming out in front of the vehicles to pass someone. I would love to see more police tagging these speeders.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bieniaszek View Post
Our golfcart does 20.5 MPH. We are amazed how many people pass us out with their souped up carts. It seems that some of the carts can hit high 20's or low 30mph and they are not Street Legal!!! What's the rush??? Bailey Trail and St. Charles are where I experience these NASCAR drivers. These streets are busy enough with cars and trucks, and they think nothing of coming out in front of the vehicles to pass someone. I would love to see more police tagging these speeders.
That's odd.... I travel St. Charles and Bailey Trail every day; multiple times and I don't see this type of passing going on. Once in a while a cart will pass, but it's not like the Indy 500, by any stretch.

Not sure why everyone gets so upset if they're passed by another cart...
Old 01-10-2012, 09:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post

Not sure why everyone gets so upset if they're passed by another cart...
Doesn't bother me either as long as it is done safely. I've had some pass me on multimodal paths with oncoming traffic or near a divider rarely, but usually it is done safely.

Perhaps it bothers some because they see it as circumventing the law and avoiding the increased fees of a street legal cart and, thereby, unfair to those who run at 20mph or pay the fees for street legal.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod View Post
Doesn't bother me either as long as it is done safely. I've had some pass me on multimodal paths with oncoming traffic or near a divider rarely, but usually it is done safely.

Perhaps it bothers some because they see it as circumventing the law and avoiding the increased fees of a street legal cart and, thereby, unfair to those who run at 20mph or pay the fees for street legal.
Even street legals are supposed to max out at 25. I have been passed by golf carts while doing 30 in my car.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:42 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod View Post

Yeah Mike, I get what you're saying... Safety could be an issue either way; too fast or too slow. I think you hit the nail on the head that folks just don't want someone getting over on the system. I don't have a juiced up cart [bought it new and no one has touched it, except the Villages Golf Cart Store], but it will top out at far more than the legal 20mph. Going downhill is obscene! I gave that cart to the wife and I drive the electronically governed electric cart. If she gets a ticket, that's her problem.... Everybody passes me, with my radio blaring...
Old 01-11-2012, 07:19 AM
Gold member

I have a quick cart. Many times the extra fast speed came in handy,getting out of the way with some drivers.If you pass fine,if you go slow fine.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:48 PM
Gold member
Default Safety

This has been gone over before. You can make em go fast but you cannot safely steer or stop at speeds over 25 mph. The Carts were NOT designed to perfom at those speeds.

Now a street Legal LSV like a Tomberlin or EZ Go , Gem could get away with 30+ because of " Real Brakes" and a balanced suspension.

Because of the insanity of increased polulation and amount of carts my wife is lobbying to not get us a Golf Cart and to instead, Within the VILLAGES or just outside buy a used Smart for Two.

Hmmmmmm Spage Cage safety cage! AC, real brakes heater wipers and a convertible model for fun.

I'll just put a street legal plate on it! " Laughing"
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.