Smell of a Gas Cart

Closed Thread
Old 10-07-2013, 09:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
I get to disagree with golfingnut. About time! I've been known to put in well over 50 miles in one day in a gas cart. No ringing ears, no headaches, definitely tight muscles but that would be the case regardless of type of cart. For me, it has to be gas. More than once, I've driven up to Chatham, down to Hemingway, back up to Springdale, then down to Pennecamp all in one morning. Not my idea of fun but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.
I'm with you on this one Red even though I also respect GN's posts.

The one problem I have with electric (I have 1 gas and 1 electric) isn't the initial charge distance. I can go anywhere as mentioned and get home. The problem is that I then feel that I need to recharge before trusting it again. So if I've put on 25 miles I know that I have 15 or so left but the fear is there that it may fail me. It has only happened once but I make sure that I use it fully charged (and that takes many hours) when I take off for the day. I have no issue with the noise or smell of my own cart. More likely to get the fumes from the cart in front anyway.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:32 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Do you have eight 6 volt batteries?
7 Six volts for total of 42 Volts. It's an EZGO
Old 10-07-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingnut View Post
My batteries are three years old and I still get over 50 miles to the charge. If the smell and the noise fit. Your taste, buy gas. If they bother you buy electric. The lack of. Distance is simply not true. If you maintain your cart, you can drive to any course play 18 holes of golf, go to the other end of the villages for lunch and back home no mater where you live in the villages. Do that in a golf cart and your ears will ring all night and most will have a headache from the fumes.
You must have those new magic batteries they talk about......

There is really no smell or noise that should bother anyone, I've gone much farther and enjoyed it all, never had to worry about slowing down on every hill. If one's over sensitive then they need an electric..

Never have I even once worried if I would be able to get back home before the cart quit on me no matter how long the day or the trip. .

Last edited by Easyrider; 10-07-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Exactly! It's not the owners or riders of the gas carts that get the smell and pollution, it's everyone else. I really wish they would ban them from the Villages.
Now that's a truly good and reasonable suggestion, why not ban cars too....
Old 10-07-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingnut View Post
I've driven up to Chatham, down to Hemingway, back up to Springdale.

My point is, I could make the above drive several times on one charge. The gas carts effect me with headache and my wife's allergies. We have a neighbor that smokes a pack to two a day and he says it never bothers him and he can't even smell the fumes at all.

And we don't smoke.......
Old 10-07-2013, 01:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
It's not the owners or riders of the gas carts that get the smell and pollution, it's everyone else. I really wish they would ban them from the Villages.
Exactly --- owners of gas carts seem to be blissfully unaware that those travelling behind them are inhaling the fumes. In tunnels it can be overwhelming.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:23 PM
Sage

Cigars, body sweat and cheap perfume stink to me also, but obviously don't bother everyone. You are lucky. I will stick with healthy, quiet and efficient electric carts.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:32 PM
Platinum member

Wow! I'm having flashbacks to the days when boating was my major diversion.

This reminds me of when sailboat owners referred to motorboats as "stinkpots."

I owned both but preferred the motorboat. Water skiing behind a sailboat can be difficult. Also, when you have a specific destination and a specific time frame you don't want to depend on the vagaries of the wind.

Similarly, I now have a gas golf cart. The house I'm in came with an electric cart. It didn't take long for "can I get home anxiety" to set in. That, along with having to be pushed up the hill when emerging from a tunnel, was enough to send me to the store to make a change.

I haven't done a diligent search in TOTV, but my guess is that there are a lot more threads about problems with electric carts than with gas carts. And there is one thing the electric cart people can depend upon...... there will come a day when the batteries need replacing and it will be expensive.

In the mean time, I keep oil and gas in my cart and get an annual tune up. The governor that keeps the speed at a legal 20 mph or less means that I am not putting a strain on the motor, which is actually capable of going much faster so I am not wearing the motor out by running "wide open" even with the gas pedal all the way down.

The electric cart owners on this thread who complain about the fumes when riding behind a gas cart or through a tunnel forget one thing. We gas cart owners also ride behind gas carts and through tunnels. I guess I'm just insensitive, but it doesn't bother me.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:33 PM
Sage
Default stranded?

I cannot deny that gas carts go and go.

I do wish to share a couple of opinions.

Getting stranded in an electric cart is just as <cannot find a complimentary word> as it is in a gas cart. If you run out of volts it is like running out of gas. Not too <hmm stuck again>

Get a voltmeter for your dash, figure out what it means and you cannot get stuck because you ran out of "gas".

You can partially charge. Although not to be done everyday, it is OK on that occasional big day to load up some voltage without completing the charge. You get home from a day of golf at a remote course and lunch somewhere else. You can plug in the charger while you take a shower/nap and unplug before the charge completes.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
I cannot deny that gas carts go and go.

I do wish to share a couple of opinions.

Getting stranded in an electric cart is just as <cannot find a complimentary word> as it is in a gas cart. If you run out of volts it is like running out of gas. Not too <hmm stuck again>

Get a voltmeter for your dash, figure out what it means and you cannot get stuck because you ran out of "gas".

You can partially charge. Although not to be done everyday, it is OK on that occasional big day to load up some voltage without completing the charge. You get home from a day of golf at a remote course and lunch somewhere else. You can plug in the charger while you take a shower/nap and unplug before the charge completes.
All true and well said. If the fumes and noise of gas don't bother you, great. But I truly like quiet fresh air while on a ride.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:03 PM
Sage

You know what would happen to me? (My own fault of course) - I would forget to plug the sucker in! Then next morning I go out to go golfing and have a quandary - enough juice to make it back and forth? Gas is more mindless I guess.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
You know what would happen to me? (My own fault of course) - I would forget to plug the sucker in! Then next morning I go out to go golfing and have a quandary - enough juice to make it back and forth? Gas is more mindless I guess.
Very possible. What I have is an on board charger. When I pull into golf cart garage, an extension cord, RED, is already plugged into the wall socket and hanging on a hook right at eye level so I step out of the cart, take the ext off the wall hook and plug her in.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
I have done this. I head in house cause I want to check something on cart before I plug in and the life gets in the way and I forget. The brain finally kicks in at 3 AM

I solved this in a very reasonable way, I bought a second electric cart

Last edited by ajbrown; 10-07-2013 at 03:37 PM. Reason: spell checker subbed wrong word
Old 10-07-2013, 03:49 PM
Soaring Eagle member

You can minimize the smell from a gas cart by doing an annual tune up, replace spark plug and filters. I believe the smelly carts you get behind are way behind on their maintenance schedule. I have one of each, even with new batteries in the electric I would not be comfortable going past the 40 mile mark, knock off 5 miles for every 9 holes of golf. After 2 years deduct 5 miles from each.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepingitreal View Post
it is really bad too when your electric cart is being towed back home behind someone's gas cart....

touche

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.