Speed adjustment

Closed Thread
Old 08-22-2022, 05:22 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,303 Times in 561 Posts

Zip Tie the mechanism … max it out and enjoy the cold air in your face… there are no cops, so don’t worry about tickets.. if you get in a wreck you are screwed ! Is it worth it? Tell your friend to leave the governor alone
Old 08-22-2022, 05:38 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtjp View Post
For 3 mph over the speed limit? Lol.
Not what I asked. All I wanted to know is if it will effect drivability at lower speeds. Thanks anyways. I was doing 17mph yesterday and was getting passed by several other carts like I was standing still. So I got to assume the carts passing me made an adjustment to their cart. I’m never in a hurry to go anywhere just curious if messing with the carts governor would effect overall drivability. Again thanks for the legal advice.
I think on the quiet techs you can set it to 24 mph and except for top speed you won’t notice any difference.
Old 08-22-2022, 05:46 AM
Default Cart Speed

Quote:
Any negatives of adjusting the governor on a 2022 gas Yamaha Drive2, increasing the top speed from the factory set19 mph to 22 mph?
Will it effect drivability at lower speeds?
Asking for a friend, lol.
No issues with "tuning up" your cart. All you're doing is adjusting the governor spring tension and that doesn't effect anything but gas flow when the throttle is open. Laws, lawsuits, etc. are separate issues. Opening the governor full will get you to about 24 mph on that cart which is where most of those passing you are already set.

If you want to give it an extra kick, you can get about 1 mph increase for each 1" diameter you add to your tires. Also, for about $600 - $800 and the cost of the mechanic (if you're not one) you can get a "speed gearing kit" to replace the original gear ratio (think rear end in a car) and those can kick up the speed by 5 mph or more with the loss of some low end torque. FYI, even Yamaha sells the gear kits for some of their buggies. The added 5+mph can have a detrimental effect on your braking distance, but the governor changes are barely noticeable.

All said, no mechanical issues with adjusting the governor.
Old 08-22-2022, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimschlaefer View Post
No issues with "tuning up" your cart. All you're doing is adjusting the governor spring tension and that doesn't effect anything but gas flow when the throttle is open. Laws, lawsuits, etc. are separate issues. Opening the governor full will get you to about 24 mph on that cart which is where most of those passing you are already set.

If you want to give it an extra kick, you can get about 1 mph increase for each 1" diameter you add to your tires. Also, for about $600 - $800 and the cost of the mechanic (if you're not one) you can get a "speed gearing kit" to replace the original gear ratio (think rear end in a car) and those can kick up the speed by 5 mph or more with the loss of some low end torque. FYI, even Yamaha sells the gear kits for some of their buggies. The added 5+mph can have a detrimental effect on your braking distance, but the governor changes are barely noticeable.

All said, no mechanical issues with adjusting the governor.
Thanks !
Old 08-22-2022, 05:52 AM

Thanks to those who answered my question. Now is there a way I can close this topic?
Old 08-22-2022, 06:11 AM

Google is your friend…

https://youtu.be/T8a0gV3Q_bg
Old 08-22-2022, 06:21 AM

No you’re good! I ran my governor all the way out a year ago no issues yet!
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
John Stuart Mill
Old 08-22-2022, 06:37 AM

Quote:
I do enjoy the view and in no hurry to go anywhere I really just wondered if changing the factory speed limit effects the overall performance of your cart.
According to my friend, no difference in slower speed performance, just higher top speed
Old 08-22-2022, 06:39 AM
Default Speed Adjustment

We purchased a used 2017 Club Car that had a 17mph max speed. The wife had a company change the Governor to 22mph. At slower speeds, while trying to hold a steady speed, the cart would jerk and buck like a racehorse. So in our case, it did effect the slower speed driving. We took the cart to The Villages GolfCart in Spanish Springs and they fixed the issue. We do not have a speedometer, but the cart does work fine now at approx. 22mph top end.
Old 08-22-2022, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Well, it might earn you a lawsuit...
Reading all of these replies I find that they omit/ignore two basic issues:
1. Did the cart come with a high-speed rear end? This will change the top speed by allowing the rear wheels to turn at a higher rate based on the same number of rpm's that the engine is turning.
2. If you turn the governor up to allow the engine to turn more rpm's you run the risk of oil splashing up into the engine's cylinder head and eventually burning up the piston. This used to be the manufacturers owner's manual. Most of the cart gas engines use an oil spash system, not an oil pump to lubricate the engine.

I can't believe how many rumors and how much bs there is about golf carts. People really ought to seek out authoritarian sources, not rumor mongers who don't know. How many times do we hear "I hear..." in conversations. Be careful who you believe!
Old 08-22-2022, 06:44 AM
Default Speed Parts

This can get you speed!

Quote:
Any negatives of adjusting the governor on a 2022 gas Yamaha Drive2, increasing the top speed from the factory set19 mph to 22 mph?
Will it effect drivability at lower speeds?
Asking for a friend, lol.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	A40C8701-365E-4C04-9BB5-B186BA7F2767.jpg
Views:	542
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	94829  
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
John Stuart Mill
Old 08-22-2022, 06:44 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I have not verified it, but I was "told" the newer (EFI) carts could not be adjusted above 20 mph, which is where ours is set. IMHO, I would check with your insurance as well as the sheriff, as you may find out you have NO coverage in case of an accident, lots of fines and tickets, and possibly no warranty. We simply leave a couple of minutes early and arrive on time.
Not true! I know quite a few people that have taken them past 25 mph. The higher amounts need multiple changes done but their carts run fine according to them.
As for running the cart faster than 20mph, the cart runs very smooth, like a sewing machine with no issues of drive ability at 5mph to max speed. The dealers can adjust the mph up but you need to sign a document.
Old 08-22-2022, 06:45 AM

A related comment: I have been told that investigators can and have checked the maximum speed setting on a golf cart after an accident in which speed was thought to be a factor. Determining where yours is set could be used against you in the unlikely event of such an accident. Just something to be aware of.
Old 08-22-2022, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltigremike View Post
We purchased a used 2017 Club Car that had a 17mph max speed. The wife had a company change the Governor to 22mph. At slower speeds, while trying to hold a steady speed, the cart would jerk and buck like a racehorse. So in our case, it did effect the slower speed driving. We took the cart to The Villages GolfCart in Spanish Springs and they fixed the issue. We do not have a speedometer, but the cart does work fine now at approx. 22mph top end.
What was the problem and how did they fix it from bucking?
Old 08-22-2022, 06:46 AM

You can turn it up without issue. All you do is turn that bolt like you’re tightening it and you’re set!
Closed Thread

Tags
speed, mph, friend, speeds, lower

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.