speed vs insurance

Closed Thread
Old 09-21-2023, 01:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
If an E-bike or a small scooter collides with a Golf Cart, the Golf Cart drives away with maybe a little dent - the E-bike rider or the scooter DON'T RIDE away - they are hurt or DEAD. That's why for MAXIMUM SAFETY you need the larger 4-wheel vehicles with HIGH CENTERS of GRAVITY to have a lower speed limit (15 to 20) so they yield to the faster 2-wheeled vehicles. That would be a better PLANNED system than allowing the larger (MONSTERS of the MMP) to jack up their speed to any speed they want. Your heaviest and largest vehicle (the golf cart) would have MANY UNPREDICTABLE speeds. So, everyone becomes afraid to pass. Everyone is confused, it is chaos.
..........A woman in one of the early posts here said that she and her husband will NO LONGER walk or bike on the MMP due to unpredictably fast hopped-up golf carts.
..........That is no WAY to TREAT people in America's Friendliest City!
Life full of choices especially in America.

Don’t e bikes , bicycles, scooter have to abide by the same 20 mph speed limit on MMP?

Last edited by Topspinmo; 09-21-2023 at 01:57 PM.
Old 09-21-2023, 01:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
I've never heard of liability insurance for a bicycle (though I haven't looked either).
Well there should be that get some blood boiling.
Old 09-21-2023, 02:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Life full of choices especially in America.

Don’t e bikes , bicycles, scooter have to abide by the same 20 mph speed limit on MMP?
There is no speed limit on the MMP:
1. It is not a public road
2. There is no posted limit
3. There is no one to enforce a limit even if there was one

I have once been behind a bicycle that kept up a speed approaching 20mph. Bicycles (including e-bikes) barreling down the MMPs at 35mph just don't seem to be a common occurrence.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 09-21-2023, 05:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,277 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
If an E-bike or a small scooter collides with a Golf Cart, the Golf Cart drives away with maybe a little dent - the E-bike rider or the scooter DON'T RIDE away - they are hurt or DEAD. That's why for MAXIMUM SAFETY you need the larger 4-wheel vehicles with HIGH CENTERS of GRAVITY to have a lower speed limit (15 to 20) so they yield to the faster 2-wheeled vehicles. That would be a better PLANNED system than allowing the larger (MONSTERS of the MMP) to jack up their speed to any speed they want. Your heaviest and largest vehicle (the golf cart) would have MANY UNPREDICTABLE speeds. So, everyone becomes afraid to pass. Everyone is confused, it is chaos.
..........A woman in one of the early posts here said that she and her husband will NO LONGER walk or bike on the MMP due to unpredictably fast hopped-up golf carts.
..........That is no WAY to TREAT people in America's Friendliest City!
And yet, I pass people walking/biking on the MMPs daily, who aren't afraid...

Go figure...

-Tom Petty
Old 09-21-2023, 06:53 PM
Veteran member

Exactly what is a hopped cart most will run 23 right out of the showroom.
Old 09-21-2023, 07:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobob View Post
Exactly what is a hopped cart most will run 23 right out of the showroom.
Just how many have carts right out of the showroom have you driven to be able to make that claim?

I must have lost that lottery - neither of mine reach 23mph without the aid of a hill.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 09-22-2023, 07:54 AM
Veteran member
Default Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
I've never heard of liability insurance for a bicycle (though I haven't looked either).
That's my point, all the concern about liability for golf carts going over 20 mph, if you register a cart as a LSV and insure it as such does that make it safer at the higher speeds or just make the ins co. more $. Also to my point if you are hit by a e-bike going 20 plus you better have good health insurance.
Old 09-22-2023, 07:54 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,974 Times in 755 Posts

What about this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1zHe5-rbzR0
Old 09-22-2023, 01:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
That is sort of, an insanity quest (actually that just struck me as something cool, I need a T-shirt that says "insanity quest") They get themselves a world record in something that very few humans WANT to compete in. That would NOT "float my boat".
Old 09-22-2023, 01:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larchap49 View Post
That's my point, all the concern about liability for golf carts going over 20 mph, if you register a cart as a LSV and insure it as such does that make it safer at the higher speeds or just make the ins co. more $. Also to my point if you are hit by a e-bike going 20 plus you better have good health insurance.
If an E-bike or a SMALL scooter hits a 4-wheel golf cart - the cart gets maybe (?) a small dent. The E-bike or scooter rider could get KILLED. Since the golf carts are the BIGGEST vehicle on the MMP, they are the ones that need speed regulated to under 20 MPH.
.......What is going on right NOW is the worst possible situation where the golf carts are NOT ALL going at the SAME average speed. So, its chaos to both the bicycle rider and the pedestrian. A bicycle is light and can DODGE out of the way of an accident - whereas a golf cart can NOT BECAUSE IT IS TOO heavy AND HAS TOO HIGH OF A CENTER OF GRAVITY. That's why all golf carts should drive under 20 MPH. Another reason is that Golf Carts are heavy and have a high center of gravity (gas ones do) so they do NOT stop well and their brakes are made for golf course braking, not on streets.

Last edited by jimjamuser; 09-22-2023 at 06:58 PM.
Old 09-22-2023, 03:11 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,974 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
That is sort of, an insanity quest (actually that just struck me as something cool, I need a T-shirt that says "insanity quest") They get themselves a world record in something that very few humans WANT to compete in. That would NOT "float my boat".
And some people only want to squeeze another 5mph out of a golf cart, might as go all the way.
Old 09-22-2023, 04:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,277 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
If an E-bike or a SMALL scooter hits a 4-wheel golf cart - the cart gets maybe (?) a small dent. The E-bike or scooter rider could get KILLED. Since the golf carts are the BIGGEST vehicle on the MMP, they are the ones that need speed regulated to under 20 MPH.
.......What is going on right NOW is the worst possible situation where the golf carts are NOT ALL going at the SAME average speed. So, its chaos to both the bicycle rider and the pedestrian. A bicycle is light and can DODGE out of the way of an accident - whereas a golf cart can NOT BECAUSE IT IS TOO heavy AND HAS TOO HIGH OF A CENTER OF GRAVITY. That's why all golf carts should drive under 20 MPH.
Nonsense...

-Tom Petty
Old 09-22-2023, 06:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larchap49 View Post
Please see post 105.
Old 09-23-2023, 09:42 PM
Veteran member
Default Dodging bicycle

Quote:
.......What is going on right NOW is the worst possible situation where the golf carts are NOT ALL going at the SAME average speed. So, its chaos to both the bicycle rider and the pedestrian. A bicycle is light and can DODGE out of the way of an accident - whereas a golf cart can NOT BECAUSE IT IS TOO heavy AND HAS TOO HIGH OF A CENTER OF GRAVITY. That's why all golf carts should drive under 20 MPH. Another reason is that Golf Carts are heavy and have a high center of gravity (gas ones do) so they do NOT stop well and their brakes are made for golf course braking, not on streets.
LMAO how many elderly e-bike riders going 20+ mph do you really think have the dexterity and ability to maneuver and dodge anything to avoid an accident? Certainly not my neighbor who has been laid up for a week after crashing an e-bike just riding it normally.

Tags
governor, insurance, involved, car, stated

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.